Back to the Future....matting errors

Options
Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited January 2003 in Music & Movies
Looks like BttF 2 & 3 are fairly F'ed up.

Click on the link below, towards the top of the screen click on the English version.

http://www.gluxx.de/zidznewsindex1024.shtml?20021027.html

It appears #1 is OK, but 2 and 3 have matting problems. There is a long and on going thread over at the HTF in the software section if you want to read up on it more.

I bought my set today regardless. I just wanted #1. If a fix comes later, great, if not....oh well.

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Damm, hopefully they will recall the first release when they have these problem fix.
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Just read this over at HTF:

"Universal Studios Home Video is addressing specific matting issues on the widescreen editions of Back to the Future 2 and 3 and an exchange option will be available in late February 2003. The number to call is (888) 703-0010."

To read the complete thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113387
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited December 2002
    Options
    good news, I still think Universal studio will allow us to exchange at our local retailer when they the corrected version. Shame on those quality control folks at the production. US needs to send out a recall notice now...
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the news.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I was going to buy this, but I'll wait for the corrected versions to come out.

Thanks for the heads-up guys!
    No excuses!
  • Ron-P
    edited December 2002
    Options
    If Universal does not do a recall, it may be along time before corrected versions hit the shelves and then how will those corrected versions be labeled, if at all.

Obviously, Universal is still selling the poorly framed versions which would tell me a recall will not happen. Most of the general public will never know about the bad disks anyway. Kinda F'ed up on Universal's part, knowing about the bad disks and selling them anyway.

I've waited far too long already for these disks, to wait another possible 4 or 5 months would be too difficult. All I really wanted was #1, which is spot on.

I watched #1 Tuesday night and the transfer is excellent, very clean, detailed and solid with black levels. The 5.1 track is very nice as well, good use of all channels. Voices at times do sound a bit tinny from the center but, other than that, Universal did an excellent job (at least with #1).

If...
  • Strong Bad
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Looks as though Universal is correcting the problem. Found this on the Digital Bits website. I'll wait to buy the corrected ones.

"Thank you for your email. Universal Studios will exchange Back to the Future parts 2 and 3 for copies with the updated framing in late February 2003. You may send the DVDs back now or wait until February. Please send Back to the Future disks 2 and 3, without the case, and a letter with the following information: Name, Full Mailing Address, Daytime Phone Number, Reason for Return and Return Address. Send to:

Back to the Future DVD Returns
    PO Box 224468
    Dallas, Texas 75260

Thank you,
    Universal Studios Customer Service"
    No excuses!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I own them,and I didn't notice any flaws.On the flip side the transfer is awesome.I own a Pioneer Elite dv47a and it played all 3 fine.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I own them,and I didn't notice any flaws.
    Click on the link in my first post, you will see.

If...
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I read a press release that says that if u get the WS version and watch it in WS in your tv - then there is no problems.
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Options
    How would a WS version be effected by what type of TV you watch it on? It's a matting error, has nothing to due with the type of TV you have.

If there is no problem, why would Universal admit to one and offer new disks?

If...
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited January 2003
    Options
    My wife and I were going to buy the set and good thing I seen this we have desided to wait for the replacement to be on the shelfs, but how would you know if it's the revised one or the bad one?

Thanks
    Dave Shepard
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Options
    but how would you know if it's the revised one or the bad one?
    Exactly why I bought now and will mail in for the replacement disks.

Remember the whole Jurassic Park dts bass issue?

If...
  • Strong Bad
    edited January 2003
    Options
    What about Jurassic Park DTS bass issue?

Was a replacement made?

I have the DTS version.
    No excuses!
  • mark g. nelson
    mark g. nelson Posts: 134
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I bought the set and got 3 Part two disks. Had to go to 3 stores to find WS on the exchange.
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Options
    John, sorry, missed your question.

Does your disk have bass? If so, your most likely OK. The first relase came out with very, very minimal bass with the dts track, dd was fine. Universal never did a public announcement of the problem just went and did the same thing they are doing with BttF.

On the inner circle of the disk there is a sequence of numbers. I'll have to check my disk at home and post the number that was the fixed disk. I think the last two numbers were 02 vr. the 01 on the first release, but I cannot remember for sure. I'll let you know.

If...
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Official statement on technical framing issue on the Back to the Future Trilogy

Below is a statement from Universal Studios Home Video regarding the "Back to the Future Trilogy."

Universal Studios Home Video is aware of a minor technical framing issue on the "Back to the Future Trilogy" widescreen DVDs. The framing appears differently from the laserdisc releases for approximately two minutes during "Back to the Future II" and four minutes during "Back to the Future III." The framing difference is unnoticeable to widescreen DVD viewers and does not detract from or interrupt the viewing experience. Consumers with further questions can call (888) 703-0010.
    How would a WS version be effected by what type of TV you watch it on? It's a matting error, has nothing to due with the type of TV you have.
    Your killing me Ron - it has to do with what options u choose on your DVD player or TV. Most u can switch between formats and thus the matting errors occur.
    JP -never any issues - but my Nightmare Before Christmas the Bass track is missing. The only dvd I have a bass problem with.
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Options
    No No No. The film, when it was being transferred to dvd was matted incorrectly. No matter how you view a WS copy of II or III weather it be on a 4:3 or 16:9 TV, interlaced or progressive, the matting errors will be there. Parts of the film have been cropped off or covered up by the person who framed up these certain scenes when they were being transfered to DVD. Settings on your DVD player or TV will not change the matte placement on the DVD.

This has absoultly nothing to do with player settings.

If...
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ya, sounds good and stuff. ;)