Not getting good base out of my LS 70

Options
Nisqually Dave
Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
edited April 2007 in Troubleshooting
Hi I am not getting good base sound out of my LS 70, What I did to make sure that it was in the LS 70 is i had the Rt 150's right next to this speaker and just switch over to this speaker and I get sound but very low to to barely audible, I am using two wire to Four wire hookup ( Can't remember is that Bi Wire or Bi Amp) the rest sound great.

This is in only one speaker. Help Me Ken
Post edited by Nisqually Dave on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,400
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Bi-wire, and IMO you are wasting your time with that. It seems to me with the information given that you may want to check the internal wiring leading to the woofer on that one speaker. Start there and then get back to us.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2007
    Options
    What does a base sound like?:D
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Nisqually Dave
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Mind not functioning, still thinking about Raquel Welch. I had not gotten that far I will pull it and check I had already check the connections.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2007
    Options
    did you swap the left and right speaker wires? try that and see what the results are..
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • treitz3
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Can you please clarify your original question? It would help me to help you.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Nisqually Dave
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Basically there is very little sound coming from the woofer, Yes I did try the other side of the amp and different wires, by biwiring I could Isolate Base sounds.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2007
    Options
    to help you isolate the speaker problem. try this.. use regular speaker wire.. and not the biwire... and see if the results are the same. when you do that.. make sure you have the metal strap between the binding posts in place... or else you won't get any bass.

once you do that and if the results are the same.. then it may be a bad woofer. .. or a crossover problem.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Nisqually Dave
    edited April 2007
    Options
    well I pulled the speakers out and found that there was some corrosion on them not much, cleaned the pins off and put them back in. Fired them up and now I havegood sound but at moderate to high volume they start to vibrate hard and sound blown.

I can't find any damage to them they look great.

I guess I will most likely have to replace them, any ideas they are MW 8100's

could there be something I can do to correct these without replacing them?

Is it possible to wire them backwords?
  • treitz3
    edited April 2007
    Options
    could there be something I can do to correct these without replacing them?
    Doesn't sound like it, however unless one is there in person to evaluate......diagnosis can be difficult.
    Fired them up and now I havegood sound but at moderate to high volume they start to vibrate hard and sound blown.
    Sounds like you compromised the coils.
    Is it possible to wire them backwords?
    Yes, but they would just be out of phase.
  • Nisqually Dave
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Well talked with Ken today, found out that one set of speakers were changed at some point, The originals were 8101's which are in one speaker and the other speaker has 8103's, They are now using 8103's as an upgrade will pick some up in the future.