I-Sonic not playing DVD's "unknown disk" error

Options
millhouselives
millhouselives Posts: 4
edited April 2007 in Troubleshooting
Hi,

We purchased a i-Sonic in early march 2007 and all seems fine until yesterday. we had rented a couple of videos to watch and when put into i-Sonic we recevied the "unknown disk" error. We thought maybe it was the DVD's we rented but we put in a couple of others that we own and had played and watched a few days ago and did also caused the same error message. We can DVD player spin up and show "loading message" but then stops with "unknown disc" message.

I been reading as much as I can to troubleshoot this and I did fine one post that talks about a firmware update. Problem is no one has listed a download link to get it (not even sure thats the problem) but it says in the post by Eric that you can get in our the Polk website. I could not fine it.

Am I the only one with this weird problem? Regular music CD plays fine. and movies once did, so what has changed? Using a s-video cable.

Any help would really be appreciated?

Thanks
Steve:confused:
Post edited by millhouselives on

Comments

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Steve- best thing to do is call up customer service. They'll help you out in the best ways possible.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • millhouselives
    edited April 2007
    Options
    thank you, bknauss! I have emailed customer service this weekend. I hope I hear from them soon. It's hard for me to place a call as I work Monday-Friday from 8:00AM often not getting home until 6:00PM, so if I can get some help via email that would be greatly apprecitated. I am sure I can follow any instruction sent to me. What about this firmware upgrade I have read about how does one get it.?

Steve

p.s. anybody else out there have this problem?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hello Steve,
    Thanks for posting on the Forum. It sounds as though your unit has locked up, similar to what happens with a computer, sometimes. Try un-plugging the AC power cord, leave it un-plugged for a few minutes. Then re-connect and see what happens.
    Regards, Ken
  • millhouselives
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Kenneth,

I have unplugged the power cord for more than a few minutes. The problem is not that the unit is "locked up". It plays music CD just fine. It just will not play DVD movies.

When a DVD is put into the tray, you can hear it spin up..and then shortly on the i-sonic display and on the TV screen is the message. "unknown disk".

I have emailed tech support last Friday 4/13/07 and have not heard back from them. It getting frustrating. One of the reasons I purchased i-Sonic is because of some of the review I read said the "customer service was great" well so far I am not real impressed with it.

thanks for trying
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Uh...Ken is Polk Customer Service...

Let's see, you send an email to Polk CS on a Friday (what time btw), and on the next business day you've got a reply (albeit here instead of email) from Polk CS, and you're 'not impressed' with their Customer Service.

Polk will get this resolved to your satisfaction.
  • millhouselives
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Kenneth Swauger

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. We had an unexpected death in family. While attending the funeral in NYC I left iSonic unplugged for the two days we were not home.

Tried DVD player yesterday and it worked. So I guess I did not leave unplugged long enough first time around. My apologies to you and CS at Polk.

thanks for your help
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm certainly sorry to read of your loss, I hope you and your family are doing well.
    Thanks for letting us know the status of the I-Sonic I hope it continues working properly.
    Take care, Ken