money well spent

burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
I bought myself the Sound&Vision HT set-up DVD with some money I got for Christmas ($18 delivered if you call Ovation). It arrived this week.

It was great for setting up the TV. I set up my speaker levels by ear... may get an SP meter someday.

I was shocked to find out that I had my mains out of phase... and more shocked to realize the simple reason why was that I reversed the wires at the receiver (had the ribbed side going into negative). Hasn't been that way TOO long (I had to disconnect and reconnect some wires last month and I reconnected in semi-darkness), but it explains why I haven't been happy with my stereo image and why the bass from my 7s wasn't hitting me in the chest anymore.

Didn't catch it until the second time I tested it because I'm usually SO anal about phase, I just assumed I was fine and sort of blew through that test.

Anyway, although the banter between the hosts can be a little cheesy, I highly recommend the DVD. It steps you through the process and is easy to use.

Parts Express has already shipped my new cables (supposed to get here Thursday), so Thursday night I'm going to be as tweaked as I can be on my budget.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2003
    I had exactly the same phase problem with my front R. I didn't check the connections because I was so damn careful to get it right. I assumed it was something else. But luckily, I only had it set up wrong for a short period of time, thanks to the S&V disc.
    The problem, as I see it, was twofold--each wire was the same color, the jackets were clear, & the only differentiation was some very hard to spot writing on one jacket. Also, the terminals on the recvr are very close together & difficult to insert wire into. Of all the things you'd think would be easy to "engineer", an easy to spot differentiation in spkr wires would be one of them. But that's probably "beneath" the geniuses who were busy making sure it was free of oxygen!:lol:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by burdette

Didn't catch it until the second time I tested it because I'm usually SO anal about phase, I just assumed I was fine and sort of blew through that test.

I have also made this mistake... which I'm not real proud of! but goes to show how tools can really help. The SPL meter is a lot of fun to play with and gets you started understanding your room modes.

Burdette
    If you want to borrow my SPL since we live pretty close you are more than welcome. My system is tuned and am not going need untill I upgrade my subwoofer.

You can email me @ hnavaroli@alamosapcs.com your local SPCS Carrier

Henry
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • thehalo8
    thehalo8 Posts: 127
    edited January 2003
    I was recently given the advice to purchase that DVD too. So I bought it, and it will arrive on Friday. I had always set up my speakers by ear as well, but so many people say it makes a big difference to use a SPL meter. So, I broke down and picked up a SPL meter too. As soon as I fix my left main issue, I will be tweaking everything. :confused:
    Mains: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
    Sub: Polk PSW505
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
    TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
    DVD: Sony DVP S5300
    Protection: Monster HTS 3600
    Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010
  • Soccerplyr
    Soccerplyr Posts: 160
    edited January 2003
    Funny, bought the disc monday at Fry's for $15. i use a SPL and must admit I'm addicted to it. I ran the pink niose in my oink almost daily to make sure it was set right. Now that I've run the dvd the only difference I found was my reference level dropped from 61 (niose built in) to 54 (noise from dvd) both measured at 75db. My center channel also dropped a little. It's a fun disc to mess with, I especially liked the different Dolby Digital movie intro's (the one with the water is amazing).
    Before I bought terminals for all my speakers I used to put heat shrink on the ends so I could easily make sure the wires where connected properly. You can get some a RS for ess the $5, helps quite a bit.

Jeff
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited January 2003
    the setup disk also instructs you how to "tweak" your tv (RPTV) I think???
  • thehalo8
    thehalo8 Posts: 127
    edited January 2003
    Ah Fry's.................I love that place. However I live in South Florida and there are no Fry's on the Eastern side of the US. They really need to start expanding down here; I love that store!! I visit my brother out in Texas every year, and make sure to stop by his local Fry's at least once if not more every time I am out there :D
    Mains: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
    Sub: Polk PSW505
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
    TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
    DVD: Sony DVP S5300
    Protection: Monster HTS 3600
    Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I just picked up the S&V disk today and will tweak tonight.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688