Reciever Help

wolves10
wolves10 Posts: 71
edited January 2003 in Electronics
In the picture below, you can see what im eventually going to do with my reciever..
It will have digital cable.. and as you can see, it will connect to the reciever via S-Video, and a Coaxial Cable.
You can also see my VCR, that will be connected to it, S-video, composite, and RCA Audio.

..now my question is..
When a signal is being sent from the Digital Terminal to the reciever (and eventually the TV).. is their also going to be a signal sent to the VCR?

I ask this, becasue of when I want to record a TV show.
You can probabaly see cableTV going into the VCR as well, thats fine, for recording analog channels (1-63)... but the tuner in the VCR obviously can't pickup 63-440...

Clearly this question is reciever-specific, but I think that most might be a bit the same..
Oh.. and another reason that it makes me wonder.. is.. will the reciever be able convert the S-Video signal (and coaxial) to the Composite and RCA inputs of the VCR?

-i've got a pre-feeling, that this isn't going to work.. if it doesn't, could someone suggest a simple alternative to this.. without changing around the whole setup?
-wolves10
www.apogeetek.com
Post edited by wolves10 on

Comments

• wolves10
    edited January 2003
    the picture didn't appear for some reason.. so I'll try it again..

-didnt work..
    oh well you should be able to tell what i mean by what i said
    ..i hope
    -wolves10
    www.apogeetek.com
  • jrd002s
    jrd002s Posts: 11
    edited January 2003
    Wolves10,
    Don't think you really have enough info in your posting, but I'll try to help anyway ;-)
    You described the wires you were going to use to connect your VCR to your Receiver, but you did not specify inputs and outputs that correspond to the wires. As long as you have the signal being output to the vcr (from either the receiver or the cable box) then you should be able to record whatever channels you want. My suggestion would be to run RCA cables from the cable box out to the vcr in. Does this help, or am I way off base?

JRD
  • wolves10
    edited January 2003
    nah.. thats pretty much what i was wondering..
    I'm just not sure if my reciever will output the signal that its recieving from the cable box.. ill have to just check into that.

maybe i should just run it through the VCR.. cable box>vcr>reciever>tv.. might be easier

oh, the other thing.. chances are that the reciever WONT convert the coaxial signal from the cable box to RCA, to the vcr.. So, I'll have to use both coax and rca.. cool i answered my own question

thanks JRD
    -wolves10
    www.apogeetek.com
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    I run everything through my VCR...sorda..
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by wolves10
    maybe i should just run it through the VCR.. cable box>vcr>reciever>tv.. might be easier

Wouldn't you be looking at some sort of video degredation if you chain all of your equipment like that? If your receiver has enough video and audio outs, I'd run everything directly into the receiver, and then one set of audio/video outs to the tv, and another to the vcr. The only problem with that, and maybe Mantis could clarify, is that I *THINK* that the receiver would HAVE to be on in order to get the sound and video onto the tape unless that's a non-powered function, which it probably would be. I dunno......totally guessing on that one......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • wolves10
    edited January 2003
    yup yup thats what i was thinking too.. degradion..
    -wolves10
    www.apogeetek.com
  • jrd002s
    edited January 2003
    That's the great thing about Home A/V....There's always endless possibilities, and it's always fun to play around with, and try new things!!

JRD
  • jrd002s
    edited January 2003
    :D:lol::D
    I've had WAYYY too much caffeine this morning!!

JRD :p
  • wolves10
    edited January 2003
    yeah ive drawn up a plan and i can see theres about 10 ways to wire.. JUST the cable box.. ill figure something out. thanks for your help
    -wolves10
    www.apogeetek.com
  • jrd002s
    edited January 2003
    Let us know how it turns out!

JRD