Does anyone remember?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited January 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
A few years back Polk used to make a car sub that was kinda oval shaped and I believe contained 4 isobarik 6x9's in a bandpass box. I'd really like to find one, but I don't even know the model # or what they called it. Anyone know anything about it?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2002
    I don't know about the 6x9 subs, but here's a suggestion if you're looking for "small" subs to fit in tight spots.

get ahold of the customer service dept at polk and snag yourself some of the old polk DX8 subwoofers... 8 inches handle about 200 - 225 rms, good frequency response. Probably a bit louder / stronger / power hungry than the 6x9 subs...

i'd tell ya to go get some 8 inch momo's but they dont make 'em as of yet.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • blue_si
    blue_si Posts: 4
    edited September 2002
    Thanks dodge. I actually have a sub for my car already. I just want to find one of these. When I was in high school (1994) they were in the crutchfield catalog at the time and I wanted one but of course couldn't afford one. Now I'd just like to find one for nostalgia purposes. Also no one seems to remember them and everyone thinks I am nuts.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk Woodpecker Posts: 0
    edited September 2002
    I remember! It was called the C4. Good luck on finding one.
  • blue_si
    blue_si Posts: 4
    edited September 2002
  • smcclelland
    smcclelland Posts: 1
    edited September 2002
    Maybe you can find one on Ebay?
    ac-pyro
  • Systems
    edited January 2003
    here is a pic
    I have it since 94 and it rock.
    In Germany the price were about 500 $
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited January 2003
    Inside
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Delerius
    Delerius Posts: 1
    edited January 2003
    I had a C4 many years back and I must say that was one of the best subs I ever had. When I built my systems I was always going for sound quality, and Polk always had the best to offer. Unfortunately, I sold it when I got out of competing and to find one now would be difficult. Oh those were the days... Actually, I am just getting back into the car audio world and it is something how time has change the products that are on the market. When I left the car audio world, the Polk mm series speakers were the only speakers I used. I just hope that I can get quality sound out of today's speakers. Loudness is one thing but when you can get superb sound quality, you just don't want to get out of your car...
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2003
    if you really want sickeningly good sound quality out of a durable all around speaker -- the polk DB component sets with the "casket baskets" were amazing.... dx and new momo lines are also quite pleasing. ...try to find a db component set new in box from somebody who's still got them kickin around and i'll bet you it costs more than a new set of momo components from a retail outlet.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited January 2003
    I remember them well! They were like 400-600 bucks or something. Needed a good deal of power though. They were perfect for hatchbacks or pickup trucks. They were small enough to fit damn near anywhere but they kicked hard. Nice setup. The audio market is missing ingenuity like that anymore.

You know what? I actually agree with PoweredByDodge. My ENTIRE stereo in my truck is made up of dB components. I got them on closeout from Crutchfield about 6 years ago. I couldn't afford them at the time but couldn't pass them up. I am soooooo glad that I was able to snag a set because they are flat out amazing! I haven't heard a better, cleaner speaker yet! They respond so well to too much power. I have even overdrive the 10 inch dB sub and it took all I could dish out, almost like it asked for more! I haven't seen anyone put out a set of speakers like this in a while. The new MOMOs come close but just don't get it. The casket basket is nice and strong but fairly light. They have HUGE magnets on them and can hadle gobs of power. What really makes the speakers though is the Dynamic Balance. I met it with skepticism when I read about it but became a believer once I got them into a vehicle and listened to them. There is very little coloration, bass is strong and the highs are just...just...I can't even think of a good enough word to describe them!

If you can find them, the dB's have to be the best automotive speakers made, period.

A tip for Polk, make another speaker line like the dB's! PLEASE! I'm going to need another set when I get my "hot rod" finished!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!