new speakers

Options
rebelluver
rebelluver Posts: 43
edited April 2007 in Troubleshooting
So, I finally got my RM7400T fronts and the one I am using as the left front is only giving me sound from the tweeter. Is there something I can do at home or is the speaker a lemon and I should contact the seller (zelor) for a refund? I e-mailed Polk and I am waiting for a response, but I thought I would have just a good of chance of getting good advice from this room. Any advice would be appreciated.
Post edited by rebelluver on

Comments

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2007
    Options
    A wire could have become disconnected from the drive. I had that happen with a review sample. I just unscrewed the woofer from the cabinet and peeked inside, sure enough a red wire was disconnected.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • rebelluver
    edited April 2007
    Options
    It's safe for an idiot like myself to open it up and look?
  • G3n3R@1
    G3n3R@1 Posts: 13
    edited April 2007
    Options
    just make sure you don't let it fall out when your taking the final few screws out and take a look around for a wire thats disconnected and put it back in and hold it back in place and put the bottom screw in first then finish putting in the rest.
  • rebelluver
    edited April 2007
    Options
    OK thanks guys I'll give it a shot when I get home. The real dissapointment is not being able to give the long awaited review of the ever popular RM7400T's. For Russ. :D
  • rebelluver
    edited April 2007
    Options
    So I opened her up and took a look. I couldn't see anything that looked wrong, so after getting very frustrated I put her back together. When I hooked it back up it seems fine now. The sound seems to match the other speaker. Should I be worried?
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Could have been a loose contact.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • rebelluver
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Should I still seek a replacement or leave it alone for a while?
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Clean terminals or just leave it till it happens again then clean the terminals.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,402
    edited April 2007
    Options
    rebelluver wrote:
    So I opened her up and took a look. I couldn't see anything that looked wrong, so after getting very frustrated I put her back together. When I hooked it back up it seems fine now. The sound seems to match the other speaker. Should I be worried?
    No. From what you are describing so far in this thread, it seems to me that you have a contact that is loose. Try crimping the connectors together with a pair of dikes (all of them, and not too god awful hard) if this problem reappears. If they still work now....do not mess with them until the problem rears itself up again.

Vibrations from the speaker will cause this to happen sometimes and this is somewhat normal when the tolerances of the connection were not tight during assembly.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • rebelluver
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I will leave them until it happens again. It is just so weird because if you were in my shoes and looked at the connections, everything looked and felt so tight. But, oh well as long as they work