Help: RT55i or RT600i

Options
cscsDanny
cscsDanny Posts: 30
edited January 2003 in Speakers
WOW, I am so happy to be a part of this forum. I am true POLK man delivered as I once was a BO**E follower, mind you I was far more ignorant back then.

Anyway, I need some advice from anyone experienced and willing enough to comment. I fortunately came upon the above stated pair of speakers at an unbeliveably good price. However, I am in at a loss. Which of the above pair would you gentlement recommend for my primary L/R.

I am not in a position to purchase additional speakers. I have these 4 and Im happy, but I don't know which ones should serve as my primary L/R or Surround L/R. I know that ultimately my ear will decided, but that said, LEND ME YOUR EXPERTISE!!

Truely,

Danny "Polk Man for Life"
Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX
DVD PLAYER: Sony DVP-NC655P
Mains: Bi-Amped Polk Rt1000i
Surrounds: Bi-Wired Polk Rt55i
Center: Bi-Wired Polk Cs400i
Subwooofer: SVS PB1

Post edited by cscsDanny on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Well I will think that many hear will recomend the towers as the mains, and the bookshelfs as surrounds...
    Although, In my Opinion, since people are so effin picky in this forum about surround speakers, i might even suggest the towers as surrounds, so u can have 'ear level' sound...other than that - switch em around, move em around, see what u like best...
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • cscsDanny
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thank you bro, for the feedback. I would normaly think that the tower would be the ideal choice. But, were not talking about normal bookshelf speakers here. The rt55i's have one more woofer than the 600is. Anyone else have any thoughts?

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by cscsDanny
    The rt55i's have one more woofer than the 600is. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Well s***, if u dont want em, ill trade my rt35i's and 100 dollars and make them average again....LOL!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by cscsDanny
    Thank you bro, for the feedback. I would normaly think that the tower would be the ideal choice. But, were not talking about normal bookshelf speakers here. The rt55i's have one more woofer than the 600is. Anyone else have any thoughts?

i have the 55's as my surrounds but in 5 channel stereo they sound great!

my 2c
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hey Danny welcome to the forum!!!!
    That is a tough one. Generally u want more power up front as your mains. But both will work fine either way. Is this an HT setup? What is your center channel and reciever?
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have the RT55is as my mains and they are very good. The RT600i may go a little lower due to the tower design but when I was auditioning both of them the 600s sounded a little less defined on the lower end than the 55s. The midrange on the 55s was superior. The only disadvantage is that you will have to buy stand but that is the only drawback. IMHO the 55s were a better sounding speaker by a substantial margin.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cscsDanny
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hey scott, thanks so much for the warm welcome. Awesome croud of people here. Im a college student, this is my hobbie and yes its most definately HT. I am running a polk CS175 as my center. I aquired it free in a package deal. The receiver is a sony str-685 5x100 dolby digital/DTS.

The sad thing gentlemen is that Im running my playstation 2 for my dvds. It's connected via optical connection, and whats even worse... my sony analogue 5cd changer sounds a hell of alot better. LOL, im gonna bite the bullet and procure a 5 disc progressive scan eventually.

Back to the subject at hand. I purchased the rt600 via E-bay. I have yet to receive them. I pray that im not screwed and they arrive safely, that said I have heard them before. Im still at a loss. Im thinking they will act supurbly as surrounds..

Thoughts???

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Vote for the rt55's up front and the rt600's as surrounds or better yeat surroundback.
    The 55's in my opnion is a much better sounding speaker.They attack.....and attack.If I ran into a good deal on a pair of cherry's or walnuts,I'd grap em.The rt600's are ok,they are nice little speakers.Surrounds/back they get my vote for duty.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Danny, most agree as I said the 55's are a more powerful speaker and will work fine for the front. Have your checked out the cs400 - combined with your 55's -would blow you away. It is a couple steps up from your cs175 but you front stage would have ton's of power and seemless sound. Unfortunitly they are discontinued and hard to get now. Good Luck!!!!!
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hey Danny-
    I have to give ya another vote for the 600's as surrounds. The 55's are very powerful, and will work excellent as mains. The 600's are also powerful speakers, but not as powerful as the 55's are. At home we have 800's setup as surrounds, and towers make excellent rears because of their height. I also have to ask- is this in a dorm? because if space is at a premium I can see how the bigger speakers might have to go up front no matter how good they sound. I live in a dorm too and I am bummed cause I cant bring my 2000's :D I second that on the cs400- when spcae and $$$ permits that is. If you do end up getting it, hang on to the 175, you can use that for a rear center if you ever upgrade to 6.1. Peace bro and let me know what you are going to do. Mike
  • cscsDanny
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ohh no, I would be horrified having that much money, relatively speaking, in a hole dorm. No, i have a small condo off campus. Its settled, God willing these speakers come in safely I will set them as surrounds. I do wonder if you gentlemen purchase and sell amongst each other?

• scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    do wonder if you gentlemen purchase and sell amongst each other?
    Gentlemen - thats a reach.
    But wonder no more my friend - yes sometimes it happens!!!!!!;)
  • cscsDanny
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Fellas, hypothetically would a cs245 priced at 182$ including shipping be a worthwhile investment and make a noticable upgrade in sound to my existing cs175?

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    i never listened to the 600 i do own the 800i and they are great. they are realey similar to the 55i. the 800 go a little lower. i would also put the 55 in the front caues the suround dont get as much bass as the mains
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The 245 is a good center too. If you are looking to spend around there, I saw a post on audiogon recently with a cs400 for 200$... and I can tell you man its really worth it. I had the 245 on center duty since I got my polks about 2 years ago, and it was good but seemed to lack a little. after I got the 400... man let me tell you the front soundstage is great. really worth the upgrade. I think the cs175i has one 5.25" woofer and a .75" tweeter, and the cs245i has dual 5.25" woofers and a 1" tweeter, then the cs400i has dual 6" woofers and the same 1" tweeter. So, the 245 would definitely be an upgrade, and it would match your 55's and the 600's perfectly. Glad to hear you dont have that stuff in a dorm man. take it easy and enjoy the rest of Christmas break.
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited January 2003
    Options
    For the 245, 75.00 to 100.00 would be a good price, shipping not included.

Yes we buy and sell among ourselves. Just advoid one preson who uses several aliases. Read the post on this guy.