Height of rear speakers - FXi30

thehalo8
thehalo8 Posts: 127
I just got a pair of FXi30s for my home theatre. I am going to be installing them on the rear wall of the room. I was planning on making them about two feet taller than the couch to make sure the sound will be distributed equally. However I am curious as to whether anyone would suggest me placing them in a different location? I have an Onkyo TX-DS696 that is pushing my system. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Mains: Polk RTi70's
Center: Polk CSi40
Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
Sub: Polk PSW505
Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
DVD: Sony DVP S5300
Protection: Monster HTS 3600
Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010
Post edited by thehalo8 on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2002
    Depends, do you have side mounted direct radiating surrounds already? If the answer is yes then move them to the rear of the room and mount the Fx's on the sides. If you are installing the FX's as your surround speakers, place them 2-3' above your ear level when seated.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Soccerplyr
    Soccerplyr Posts: 160
    edited December 2002
    i put my fx300i's 2.5' above my head (behind me on the wall the back of my couch is on) and it has worked great. i find that I'm constantly messing with how to run them, either di or biploe. Love the speakers though!
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited December 2002
    I agree with Frank Z. Keep the tweeters at or slightly above ear level and your good to go. Enjoy the FXi30's - I have them as well - awesome surround speakers!
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • thehalo8
    thehalo8 Posts: 127
    edited January 2003
    I finished building and installing my shelves today; got to love the extra time off of work for the holidays :) The speakers are located on the back wall behind the couch just like Soccerplyr's set up. I have made them 2.25' above head level. I was planning to make them 3' but my wife who will also be enjoying the set up is bit shorter than I am; so I had to compensate for that. I will be hooking the whole system up this weekend, and will have the FXs set at Bipolar to begin with.

I am slowly upgrading my system. The next piece I am looking to get this month is the Polk center channel CSi30. I am hoping this will be a nice addition to my current system. I have old Sony mains and center that can use some updating. The mains are still quite nice, so they will be my last upgrade. My current Sony center is definitely lacking to any center speaker currently on the market. Let me know any feelings on adding the CSi30 to my current set up, or if I should look for a different one. Thanks for all the help!!
    Mains: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
    Sub: Polk PSW505
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
    TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
    DVD: Sony DVP S5300
    Protection: Monster HTS 3600
    Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    thehalo8,
    If you can afford it you might want to go with the CSi40. Keep in mind that your center channel handles the majority of the dialogue, so it is going to be a major player for any multi-channel listening.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • styles
    styles Posts: 22
    edited January 2003
    Go with the CSi40. It's the latest addition to my system. I just need the surrounds now to complete my polk system.
    Harmon / Kardon AVR 510

Fronts: RT2000I
    Center: CSi40
    Surrounds: FXi50 *waiting in box
    Sub: PSW650

JVC DVD Player
    Monster Cables
  • DonCB
    DonCB Posts: 24
    edited January 2003
    Well, I just bought a CSi30 and think it is great... blends VERY well with my old (very) pair of Monitor 7 (I still love these speakers..been rewired - much warmer then the orig), just got the FXi30 mounted on the back wall... everything sounds great except the PSW202, not too impressed with this sub, yeah it was "free", it doesn't sound bad, but I swear that my old 7's have a tighter better bass response...

Anyone else have comments on the PSW202?

Don
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    If you're thinking of the CSi30 center and you're also thinking of RTi70's as front mains in the future, I HIGHLY recommend the CSi40 - yeah, it's quite a bit more expensive but as noted above, it "does most of the work" as the center channel speaker, AND perfectly matches the drivers of the RTi70's. What a soundstage!

I almost bought the CSi30 along with the RTi70's but saw too many recommendations on the CSi40. But if price is a big issue, I think the CSi30 is an awesome speaker. Personally though, I'd wait a bit longer until I had the bucks for the CSi40.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688