Crackling . . or is it distortion??

Options
jrbarnes
jrbarnes Posts: 8
edited January 2003 in Troubleshooting
I read the other thread on distortion hoping that their problem was similar to mine, no dice.

First, I am a newbie here. As far as audio stuff does I am slightly above average.

My system is a Yamaha HTR-5150 rec'r, Integra DVD, Kenwood 5 disc CD player. All Polk speakers, RT5 upfront with CS300 and PSW350 and I am using M3II as my surrounds.

My prob is that about 50% of the time when I turn my rec'r on (doesnt matter Tuner, CD, DVD or just TV) there is a buzzing, humming sound. It comes from all speakers and if I walk through the room with a bit of bounce, the sound crackles and sometimes gets worse or if I am really lucky, it dissappears. I can "hit" the top of the rec'r and get the same results. Sometimes the noise "peaks" and the rec'r shuts down. I have taken the rec'r to three different authorized Yamaha dealers and they cannot find any problem or reproduce the noise. One of them had it for a month . . they loved it so much that the tech bought one. Here is what I have been told could be the problem . .
- My house is not grounded properly, so somehow that is causing these problems. An electrician has checked all the conx and to him, everything seems to be in order. IS there a way for me to check? I bought one of those cheap testers that you plug into the outlet and it said all is good.
- My house is older and they used plaster on the walls with metal grids on top of the old lathing strips to hold the plaster together. One tech told me that my house was acting as some type of electronic field, maybe as a capacitor causing the interference.

I have checked and double checked all the conx and they are all connected correctly. I use Monster Cable throughout the room. The noise does not stop if I setup only the front speakers or just one set of speakers.

Someone told me I might need to get some type of filter and put on my speaker wires near the speakers.....I have never heard of this or where to get something like this.

Any ideas?? Thank you in advance.

Jeff Barnes
Post edited by jrbarnes on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Jeff Barnes, welcome to the forum.
    My suggestion would be to get a Monster Power unit are something similair. It has many types of filters for audio and video. Also the best surge protection you can buy. They will acomodate multiple plugs both switched and unswitched. I am pretty sure this will solve your problem. It was must for me. I have the HTS3500 and am very satisfied.
    How much do you want to spend is the question:
    Monster Power
    Hope this helps. :)
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Not sure what the problem is, but if you are going to get a power unit - I say get Panamax. www.panamax.com

Their lifetime coverage compared to monster's 5 year coverage is a big plus.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I agree with scott and will add that I live in a old house with plaster walls, etc. with no problem, so I doubt if it's got anything to do with that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jrbarnes
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Guys, I cant thank you enough for the help.

In getting a power unit, what should I be looking for at?? Or is it simply, pay more and get more coverage . . . ??
  • jrbarnes
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I was lookin over the Panamax ones, specifically for the warranty, and the ones I looked at all said 3 year warranties . . hmmm??

Would a computer UPS do the same thing? Because if the answer is yes, then this wont work as I have one plugged into the wall and then my rec'r pulgged into it.
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    Options
    In getting a power unit, what should I be looking for at?? Or is it simply, pay more and get more coverage . . . ??
    Basicly more money cleaner power and more filters.
    The real expensive units are more for very high end equipment.
    For your purposes the mid-to-low range should really help out alot. The 2500 too 3600 units. There is a comparision chart on the link I gave you. Later!!!
  • phuz
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by jrbarnes
    I was lookin over the Panamax ones, specifically for the warranty, and the ones I looked at all said 3 year warranties . . hmmm??

Not sure what you were looking at but this came streight from http://www.panamax.com/support/warranties.asp

"PRODUCT WARRANTY

The Panamax surge protector you have just purchased is the finest surge protector made. Most Panamax protectors carry a lifetime warranty*. For product replacement use our RMA form or call Customer Relations at (800) 472-5555.

Panamax warrants to the purchaser of any standard Panamax surge protector, for his or her life*, that the surge protector shall be free of defects in design, material or workmanship, and Panamax will repair or replace any defective unit.

CONNECTED EQUIPMENT POLICY

Panamax surge protectors are guaranteed to protect your equipment from momentary spikes and surges.

Panamax will replace, pay to replace at fair market value, or pay to repair, up to $5,000,000* equipment that is damaged by an AC power, cable, telephone, or lightning surge while connected to a properly installed Panamax surge protector. The surge protector must also show signs of surge damage or operate outside of design specifications."

Which one were you looking at? The above statement is general, it's true that the warranty differs on different types of units - but I'm pretty sure that all of the home audio/video units have that warranty and connected equipment policy. I know my Max 5100 does.
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    Options
    The lifetime is on the surge protection and almost all surge units have this guarantee- they both have 3 year on the "electronics".
    I reaken!
  • phuz
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    The lifetime is on the surge protection and almost all surge units have this guarantee- they both have 3 year on the "electronics".
    I reaken!

Monster's is only 5 years for connected equipment. :(

http://www.monstercable.com/warranty/power_chart4.html
  • jrbarnes
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Thanks guys- I am looking at this stuff now. I cant believe no one ever told me about this before. I have been asking people about this for over a year. I was reading in the latest Polk newsletter and read about the forums . . finally decided to pop on in and see if anyone could help. Never guessed it wouldhappen this quickly.

Thank you!
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    Options
    We're here for ya!!!!!!! Glad you found what you wanted.
    Like I said the Monster Power unit was a must when I built my dedicated HT. Later!!!!
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    Options
    phuz, thanks for the Panamax link. At the time I bought my monster unit Panamax had a very small (quit wimpy) (only dealt with surge protection) line of units out. Most of ther line is new and was specificly designed to compete with the Monster units. Glad to see that they are stepping up with some great looking units and a better warrenty.
  • phuz
    edited December 2002
    Options
    scott, really? Panamax was the first I'd ever seen of anything like it. That doesnt' say much, but I thought that panamax had been in that category for quite a while. I could be wrong though.

Both monster and panamax are great products. I had just heard lots of good things about panamax, and when I saw the lifetime connected equipment deal compared to monsters 5 years I made my decision.

I just double checked, and it looks like the panamax stuff does only have a 3 year product warranty. i wonder how that effects the lifetime connected equipment deal?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Be sure to check out PS Audio at www.psaudio.com. IMHO, they offer some awesome power conditioners, amps as well.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jrbarnes
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Thanks guys. After making a few phone calls last night and doing some reading . . . I ended up with the Panamax 5100. Seems to be the best bang for the buck. Got it through Crutchfield for $299 Could have probably got it cheaper, but they had it in stock.

Thanks again guys!
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Not a professional here, so it's just a suggestion. A dedicated power filter will definately help out, but have you looked at other sources of interference. Improperally grounded coax cable from a sat dish or cable TV can drive you up the wall too...double check your termination/grounding blocks for your cable utlities to see if they're properly grounded (that is if this applies to you). They also sell filters for coax lines in that remove the infamous 60Hz hum.....

I had a similar problem with my PC to receiver connection when I wanted to listen to MP3's. Short of buy a dedicated rack component to play MP3's, I had an analog line running between the two components and I couldn't get away from the 60Hz hum. PC and the receiver were plugged into different wall recepticals (thus maybe a different ground). I solved the problem by using a TOSlink connection between the PC and receiver. Running a wire grounding the chasis's of both units would have worked to, but that just looked ugly.

Just my two cents...
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Simple little things that get missed though that don't get checked that I found out by accident...that people don't know to check. I found out because I was having intermittent buzzing or humming in my PSW350 in auto mode...... 2 questions...do you have a dimmer switch on or near the units ...and is your electrical plug wired /grounded correctly. Mine was the former...I turned the dimmer all the way up and the problem went away......My philosophy...better living through reserch....and you don't always have to dump a lot of money on it to fixx it.
    Happy New Years Peace, StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • jrbarnes
    edited December 2002
    Options
    For not being an electrician, I have checked the outlet and it seems to be grounded properly. I also had an electrician check the grounding of the whole house. According to him it is all good. But I am going to take some things apart when I get my new Panamax pwer center and double check everything.

Thanks
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Be sure to let us know how you like the new (Panamax)Power center.
  • jrbarnes
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I sure will --
  • jrbarnes
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Guys-

I again have to thank you for your input, however, the Panamax 5100 did not solve my problems. I turned the system on and at first things were great. Not a bit of distortion through the CD or tuner. Then I turned on the DVD player and the distortion started again . . . already in just about one hour of play the receiver had shut it self down a few times as the noise peaked. I have to think that I got a bad receiver even though it had been extensively tested. I am going to try a friends receiver and see if it does the same thing. If so, then I have a bigger problem. At this point I am thoroughly disgusted. I guess I had big hopes for the power center . . . . .

Is it possible that an optical video cable could be the cause of this noise distortion?? I woudl highly think not. I cannot exactly put my finger on when the noise started . . .

Thanks again.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hope you figure things out. The Power center is NOT a "problem solver" for say but it is well worth having - after you fix your problem it is a very nice peice to have.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'd unplug all other components and listen to FM for awhile. If it happens again you'll be pretty sure it's the receiver. Hook up each component and listen for awhile. If the noise returns on a given component, disconnect all others. If it returns, swap cables from another component. Eventually you'll be able to narrow it down. There's also a good chance that there was a bad connection that will be fixed in the process and the noise won't return.
    Make it Funky! :)