Onkyo TX-SR800 or Denon 3803

Options
rodneyat
rodneyat Posts: 67
edited January 2003 in Electronics
OK, it is time for all of you Onkyo and Denon owners to speak up. I am looking to get a new receiver since Yamaha can't seem to get off of their butts and produce a receiver capable of 7.1, I have to look elsewhere. I have been a loyal Yamaha user for a number of years now but they are behind the curve on this one. Anyway, I am looking at the Onkyo and Denon receivers. The specs are very similar on both but wanted some opinions from those of you who have them. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
Post edited by rodneyat on

Comments

• bertram
    bertram Posts: 53
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I had to make the same choice! I was replacing an Onkyo 787 which I was very happy with at the time but wanted to get features such as Pro Logic II, etc. I looked at the TX-SR900 but it seemed that it was just a SR800 with $500 worth of network stuff that I didn't want. I liked that the SR800 had a configuration switch for 4/8 ohm speakers. What settled it for me was Crutchfield stating that the Denon performed A/D conversion on all analog inputs, including the 6 channel SACD/DVD-A ones. I bought the Denon and found out that Crutchfield was wrong. But I love the unit anyway--great sound, and handles SIX Polk LSi speakers @ 4ohms each without any problems. However, I bet the Onkyo would have been great, too. Oh-oh, I guess I haven't helped you with your choice at all:)
    Multichannel Music:

Sony SCD-C2000ES SACD
    Denon 3803 AVR (pre/pro duty)
    Outlaw 755 amp
    Outlaw ICBM
    Polk LSi15/LSiC/LSi9 (front/center/surround)
    SVS PCU

HT:

Sony 9100ES DVD
    Outlaw 990 pre/pro
    Outlaw 7100 amp
    Panasonic TH-37PX50U plasma
    Polk RTi8/CSi5/RTi6/FXi5(front/center/surround/back)
    SVS PCU
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm gonaa make areview on 2 different things.The new Samsung DLP 50 tv and the Denon avr3803.

I will give you some insights on the Denon avr3803 on the negitive side.....video upconverting.No man this feature is full of bugs with Denon.They rolled it out with the avr5803 and a complete disaster.This feature is suppost to allow you to run all video in like composite S and component.It suppost to upscale all video to component out for a one hookup for all video sources.
    Pioneer Elite vsx49tx also does this.There's works,Denon's don't.
    I normally give a strong vote and support for Denon.I feel there tonal qualities match well with Polk rt series speakers.But with the new avr3803,it's not the time to get into that piece.If you can bag a avr3802 or even a avr3801,that would be the way to go.Yamaha I agree,they just don't get with the times.The have lacked just after the release of the rxv995.That wa the last receiver they made that was tight.The mighty rxv1 is a good find,you should be able to pick one up around a grand.
    Onkyo I say stay clear,bad sound quality and freaked out features.Integra as a reference.....now they add amps for surround back channels.7.1 I will add,but if you want to use those channels and redirect for powered multiroom,your at a lose for theater when both are in use.Only fronts work now,surround channels go down due to a lack of processing power.
    Right now I can ad 2 receivers on your go listen to list.Rotel rsx1055 which is the very best sounding receiver in it's class in my opnion and Marantz.I have listened to them and was always pleased with there sound quality.
    Pioneer Elites new lines are real tight.Good sounding and nicely featured.
    Denon avr3803 needs to be recalled.Every one I install has video upconverting problems.I will issue a reveiw soon..so stay tuned for that.It might help.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.