RM6700 Series/ PSW404 High Pass X-Over Switch

TonyPTX
TonyPTX Posts: 545
OK, basic question here that I have asked different people and read different things on the topic.

I've got the RM6700 system speaker package mated with a PSW404 sub. I've wired the sub per Polk's "recommended method" (speaker level into the sub then connect the front sats to the sub. Front set to "Large" and sub to "Off") On the back of the 404, there is a high pass X-Over switch labeled 80Hz and Full Range. Now I know what the function of the switch is for, however I'm confused as to where to set it because I can swear the manual says to put it on 80Hz with the RM series of speakers, I read somewhere on the 'net to put it in the Full Range position, and Polk Cust Service told me "it doesn't make a difference" which just TOTALLY confused me. The though here I guess is that the sats that come with the RM6700 series have an internal X-Over set at 150Hz so setting the switch to 80Hz won't do squat and running at Full Range removes an extra level of filtering.

Can anyone give me some good guidance here. It's hard to tweak a system if you don't have the basic hook up just right. :confused:

Thanks for steering me away from "The Dark Side"

Tony
Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
Post edited by TonyPTX on

Comments

• TonyPTX
    edited January 2003
    Anyone?........Anyone?......HELLO in there.......

No takers eh?
  • Gary Hinch
    Gary Hinch Posts: 1
    edited January 2003
    Tony, I will be watching for and answer to your question also since we just purchased the RM6700's and Onkyo TXSR600 the only difference is I am using the PSW202 (free). Hope we both get the answer, love the sound!
  • TonyPTX
    edited January 2003
    Gary, congrats on the new setup and welcome to the forum. I don't think this particular problem will affect you as you have the 202 series sub-woofer and the Hi-Pass X-Over switch doesn't exist on the 202. For the best setup, I'd run the sats off of the sub and run the line input from the receiver to the sub. Set your front speakers to "large", the sub to "off", center and surrounds to "small" and set your receiver's X-Over at 100 or 120 Hz. Then turn the sub's low pass X-Over as high as possible (160 Hz) and work down from there till you get a good blend between the sats and the sub.

The Onk SR600 is really a sweet receiver, only best by the higher models (700, 800, and the 989).
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Tony: Email Kenneth directly - he'll fix you up.

Ed
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • TonyPTX
    edited January 2003
    I haven't been here long enough Doc. Who's Ken and what's his email addy?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited January 2003
    Ken is the master of customer service and a few other things. Get him at www.KSwauger@polkaudio.com.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TonyPTX
    edited January 2003
    Thanks. I'll shoot Ken an email this morning and see what he's got to say.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2003
    It seems like me to set to full-range. The automatic 80hz cutoff would fall below the RM6700 main abilities. Try everything. What sounds best wins.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • TonyPTX
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by gidrah
    It seems like me to set to full-range. The automatic 80hz cutoff would fall below the RM6700 main abilities. Try everything. What sounds best wins.

Polk manual has 95Hz-24kHz as the overall frequency response with 130Hz - 20KHz as the -3dB limit. I think I understand what the overal frequency response is, but anyone care to explain what the -3dB limit range is for?
  • shiu
    shiu Posts: 169
    edited January 2003
    Tony, I am not sure if I understood your qestion about the -3 dB limit. Audio equipment manufacturers like to quote their product's frequency response as something like 20 to 20,000 hz (or whatever the range is) + and/or - 3 dB, meaning at the top and bottom end of the quoted range, again, using 20 to 20,000 hz as an example, the output signal drops to half of the flat part of the frequency response curve. For frequency below 20 hz, or above 20,000 hz, the output would continue to drop. At the - 6dB limit, it will drop to 1/4 of the flat part etc. So I think Polk gives us the limit so that we could play with our frequency adjustment buttons without being completely blind. The flat part of the curve would represent an output of what it is intended to be without loss, or 0 dB. If this is not what you are asking, sorry, hopefully there will be response from others.