VE Digital Disk?

kberg
kberg Posts: 974
Greetings,

This question is for Dr. Spec, or anyone else that can answer it. Dr. Spec mentioned in a different post a VE Digital Disk to be used for calibration purposes, and that this disk will be available soon for about $20. Can I get more specifics on this product from anyone out there?

Thanks,

Kevin
Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
Display: JVC HD-56G786
DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
Post edited by kberg on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    http://www.videoessentials.com/dve.htm

If anyone knows if this disc is in production yet, I'd like to know also. I thought I saw it for $17.99 at some website, but it might have been a dream - I've been surfing the net and can't find it.

I'll check over at HTF also.

Ron-P has a good nose for this stuff - let's see what he says.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Thanks! Does the VE Digital Disk replace the Avia disk in terms of calibration tools, or will this be a different product altogether?
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    VE and Avia are different products. The digital VE replaces the OOP VE that sold for around $45.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    VE has been talking about the creation of this disk for about a year now.
    They wanted to show off what HD had to offer. Ther problem was trying to get HD picture quality on a standard DVD. Sounds like there were not able to achieve the 1080 to 720 quality on DVD. I would have loved to see that quality on my projector and that would have been worth the price of the disc alone.
    Its aim is to help consumers and the audio/video industry with the transition from standard definition video to high definition. It is being produced in the 1080p/24 frame format with 6.1 channel sound and will initially be made available in the D-Theater format in 1080i/60 and 720p/60 as well as several DVD formats. We are aiming at creating the DVD versions by down converting the 1080p/24 master to 480p/24 and 576p/25 for “True Progressive Mastering”.