Audiometric AM441

zingo
zingo Posts: 11,256
edited November 2008 in Electronics
I am looking for any information on the Audiometric AM441 amplifier. I searched the internet and could not come up with very much. Any information that you have would be very helpful. Help!
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• zingo
    edited January 2007
    8 ohms, its power output is 225 watts/ch with 0.05% HD; same at 4 ohms except 0.1% HD.
  • fjones
    fjones Posts: 1
    edited February 2007
    can you tell me where can I find or can someone send me the user manual for audiometric am441:(
  • javcnn
    javcnn Posts: 7
    edited March 2007
    I have the manual to the Audiometric AM441. In short the specs are:

Power Output in Watts: At 8 ohms: 225, less than 0.05% H. Dist.
    RMS per channel 20Hz-20KHz At 4 ohms: 225, less than 0.1% H. Dist.

Total Harmonic IM and TIM Harmonic 0.05%
    Distortions from .25 watts to IM: 0.05%
    rated outputs at 8 ohms. TIM: None

Hum and noise below rated power 100dB

Frequency Response 0.5 dB from 20Hz-20KHz

Input Sensitivity for Rated Output .775 VRMS

Damping Factor 80 from 20Hz to 1 KHz

Rise Time 20 useconds

I would be happy to provide a scanned copy of the amnual except I don't know how to do it in this forum. Hope this info helps.
  • javcnn
    edited March 2007
    My last reply did not turn out the way I originally typed causing the information to be confusing. Here I go again:

Power Output in Watts: RMS per channel 20Hz-20KHz:
    At 8 ohms: 225, less than 0.05% H. Distortion
    At 4 ohms: 225, les than 0.1% H. Distortion

Total Harmonic Distortion from .25 Watt to rated output at 8 Ohms:
    TIM: Harmaonic 0.05%
    IM: 0.05%

The rest of the info is correct in my first posting
  • javcnn
    edited April 2007
    Hey!

Just recently put my amp in for repair. Found out that the amplifier is actually made by Scientific Audio Electronics (SAE). Apparently, they were an audiofile electronics company in the 70s. I have not picked up my amp from the shop yet, but I did ask the tech to run a specs test on it. I will post it when I put up the unit.
  • zingo
    edited April 2007
    I am interested to see what a tech comes back with for the specs. Hopefull the factory underestimated. ;) I am using it to run my KEF Q70s and I like the sound, very detailed and clear. It's a bit forceful in the highs at times, but I am chalking that up to the KEFs.

jvcnn, do you know if it this amp is bridgeable and what the headroom is in normal stereo mode?
  • javcnn
    edited April 2007
    Hey,

The Audiometric AM441 is NOT bridgeable. Says so in the manual.
    I do not have the amp back, yet, will hope to do so by tomorrow. I will post the specs ASAP.
    I know you had stated that you wanted a copy of the manual, in an earlier post. Do you want a copy? If so, let me know.
  • zingo
    edited April 2007
    No thanks on the manual. I just wanted to know what I was getting myself into when I first bought the amp. Thanks for all the info!
  • javcnn
    edited April 2007
    Just got my amp back from the shop. Spent a few good minutes talking to the tech and found some very interesting news regarding this amp.

First, the results of a spec test of my AM441: Right Channel output is 241 watts @clipping 8 ohms; 281 watts@clipping 4 ohms - .029% THD; Left Channel output is 239@clipping 8 ohms, 272 watts@clipping 4 ohms - .020% THD. Both channels have a slew rate of 40v mS. In terms of how much headroom does this amp have, I'm guessing that the numbers above are the absolute peaks.

I was told by the tech that the interior section of the amp is the same as a SAE 2200 or SAE 2200L, so the tech believes. I could not find any info on the net to confirm or deny. I do know that SAE was an audiophile company during the 70's that resided in California. They were bought by DAK, as in DAK Catalogs, circa 80's. This is where I purchased this amp for $249 (1986 or '87). Dak went bankrupt late 80's.

When I picked the amp I needed to get a pre, and I managed to pick up a B & K CS-117 at the store where the repair was done. I got to audition the pair on a pair of Dali Concept 2s. I bought a pair at the same location a couple of months earlier. The combo impressed everyone at the store. Needless to say, I am very happy I did not chuck the amp. The tech says that you would have to spend a least $1500 to purchase a similar quality amp.

One final bit of info, The tech said that the only parts that would need replacing should the amp crap out, would be 2 Voltage Amplifier chips (STK3062). If your amp should stop playing all of a sudden, chances are its these parts.

So, there it is.
  • zingo
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for all the info! I have been impressed by the amp as well. BTW, if you ever plan on upgrading your system in the future and need to unload any certain amplifiers, just let me know. ;)
  • mark mcg
    mark mcg Posts: 1
    edited September 2007
    One final bit of info, The tech said that the only parts that would need replacing should the amp crap out, would be 2 Voltage Amplifier chips (STK3062). If your amp should stop playing all of a sudden, chances are its these parts.
    And so it was in my case! Thank you very much javcnn for that info! I searched the internet for any information about the AM441 with few results. I bought this amp from a guy locally that was into quality equipment for $150. It sounds great! I'm not using it for listening but for monitoring in a project recording studio. I think I need some better pre-amplification and monitors! (Mackie 1604 = preamp / Event 20/20 for nearfield monitors)

Thanks again for your post!

Mark
  • javcnn
    edited July 2008
    Hey Zingo,

Finally got your private message that you sent a while ago. Sorry, I can't reply privately, since I have less than the needed 10 replies to do so. I have purchased another AM441 and would not be interested in selling either one. However, I do see them on ebay from time to time, going anywhere from $50 - $100.
    I did find out that the AM 441 is basically a SAE A205. This was confirmed on Jim's SAE site. You can check it out for yourself, just google Jim's SAE. It will be under OEM products.
  • fuzzie1232001
    fuzzie1232001 Posts: 1
    edited November 2008
    javcnn wrote: »
    Hey,

The Audiometric AM441 is NOT bridgeable. Says so in the manual.
    I do not have the amp back, yet, will hope to do so by tomorrow. I will post the specs ASAP.
    I know you had stated that you wanted a copy of the manual, in an earlier post. Do you want a copy? If so, let me know.
    I would like to get a copy of the manual for the Audiometric AM441.
    Thanks,
    Fuzzie
  • Uncle_Art
    Uncle_Art Posts: 6
    The AM 441 was a "OEM" build for DAK Industries, c 1985. They apparently bought SAE very recently before releasing (or having SAE make, under contract) the AM441, It wasn't until I blew it up the second time (c1991) that I was put in touch, via snail mail, with a tech leftover from one of the previous companies. (DAK was entering bankruptcy, SAE was ownned by DAK, thus Dead)

Not only did he repair my amp, he sent me a taped-together schematic of the amp. (Along with a 'please; go away, we're done with this thing" ) This was in the days of "Our Name is on it, I Need to support it" Having actual FCC registered call letters probably helped, as we were on the verge of everyone talking "consolidation" aka "I'm using this amp in Revenue Service, and some of my clients are too..."

I cannot say with a straight face that this was audiophile material, but it would start your car in a pinch. I earned my beer and weed money in college using this beast doing not only DJ gigs at parties, but actual live sound PA work. This AMP NEVER FAILED ON ME MID-GIG. I racked up miles on this and my home-rebuilt Cerwin Vega-reloaded with Oaktron driver chipboard boxes for most of the 80's and early 90's. The trouble always manifested as the amp not clearing the protection circuits the next time up.

From a bench tech POV, this is a horrible amp. It is "this" close to Impossible to work on. And yes, it is most likely the IC driver chip(s) may have failed. If you are lucky, the trigger happy protection circuits saved your output transistors.

I could never use it as a Monitor Reference, because of the extensive high end "wash". The response went out to Daylight, and it was hiss city in a studio. But I could feed a crowd of a couple hundred with its virgin tight low end, and her boyfriend's punch to your gut.

And the Speaker Killer lives on. In the days when I would burn up Realistic PA 'Towers' hot enough to light a smoke off of, this amp still shakes the dust off of any gig that dictates "really loud"

High end listening, it isn't. Making Electricity into a s$%t ton of moving air, yeah, she does that well.

Happy to help anyone with this DAK $249 castaway.

-art
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited July 2020
    well, that's a pretty random reply to an ancient thread, but it's also pretty interesting.
    Thanks & welcome "art"! Stick around & talk some loudspeakers or something! ;)

No SAE stuff here, and not really any DAK stuff, either (although there is an old "Cerwin-Vega" branded coffee-table style subwoofer in the basement that was, in fact, straight outta Drew A. Kaplan's catalog). There is a GAS piece (or two... sort of) here, though.