MARANTZ SR7400 OverHEATING!!

Options
tag469
tag469 Posts: 3
edited March 2007 in Troubleshooting
Having a tough time enjoying the Lsi25s b/c Marantz sr7400 constantly shuts down into "protect" mode whenever I try cranking the volume. The unit is properly located, ventilated and connected yet it gets so hot one could fry egggs on this reciever. Any solutions?
Post edited by tag469 on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2007
    Options
    this is a common problem when using a receiver and 4ohm speakers... you need to add a two channel amp to take away some of the load from your Marantz 7400 receiver. do that and the overheating and shutting down problem will likely disappear. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Same problem here with an Onkyo TX-SR702 receiver. My receiver's manual states that the speaker impedance must not be lower than 8 ohms.

With my Definitive BP10B's, which dip to around 4 ohms, I have to place two PC cooling fans on top of the receiver to prevent it from overheating.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Have you verified you have enough ventaliation on the Marantz 7400? Check the owers manual and it will list how much space it needs to be properly cooled. I ask because I have the Marantz 8200 running 5 M&K 851's (rated to 4 ohm) and have been doing so for years with no issues (My receiver is NOT in an eclosed space. Now my 851's aren't nearly the same size as your speakers but I would think it could handle them ok ( I think the 7400's amp section is actually better than my 8200's).

If you have plenty of space for the Marantz, I'd probably recommend a seperate amp. Maybe you have a friend you could borrow a 2 channel amp from and see if that solves the issue?

Hope that helps some

Howie
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2007
    Options
    The Marantz receivers are not recommended for 4 ohm. If you're trying to drive a pair of LSi25's hard with the Marantz, look out! Your amp will definitely get hot!
    Carl