CRS Stand Question

Options
hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited February 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I have a pair of CRSs but not the stands. One of my friends here sent me the specs for making the stands. I was wondering if anyone ever purchased or made stands that were more conventional in nature? I would also like to know if the height of the stands are critical to the SDA effect.
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Try these for your crs.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=240-740
    Raife uses 2 of these stands per speaker.
    They're sturdy and they can be filled with sand of shot to improve resonance control.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks ED for that link. I saw Ray's pics of his stands. I clicked the link and the stands are 24", the CRS stand specs call for 24 1/2" so I guess that is close enough plus $89 for four is the right price and I have two 25 lb bags of #9 shot sitting on top of my 1.2 TLs (resonance control;) :D ). I'll give Raife a holler and see if he has any tid bits I need to know. . .

Thanks Bro.
  • ESavinon
    edited February 2007
    Options
    They should be 24 1/2 with the carpet spikes.
    I have 2 pairs and they're well made. I use them for other speakers since i have the original stands for the crs +.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote:
    Little off subject, but I couldn't resist.

I did some spring cleaning a few weeks past and found some old pics, when I bought my CRS stands I really liked how cool they looked so I bought two pairs.

Here's a PIC of how I used the second pair.

http://38.161.195.8/POLK-STANDS.jpg

And yes, everything is suspended from the ceiling. I had the CD shelf custom made.

But one night around 4am I woke up to a loud crash, one of the CRS stands gave out and the whole bottom half crashed to the floor.

Lasareath
    \

Very creative!!! Now what do I have to do to get you to sell them to me?
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote:

Thanks Bro, unfortunetely I don't need another pair of speakers (as much as I would like them) and the seller won't just part with the stands right???. Thanks for the link though.

EDIT: I will buy them if I can get them at a good price. . . from the picture, I doesn't look like they've had any tweeter upgrades. I imagine the crossovers haven't been upgraded either so the stands right now are worth more than the CRS+s to me.

Be careful there brother we (you and I) are skirting the forum rules here a bit. I don't like breaking or bending the rules.
  • ESavinon
    edited February 2007
    Options
    They're relatively easy to make. Find a metal shop and give them the specs.They should be able to make them quickly.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
    ESAVINON wrote:
    They're relatively easy to make. Find a metal shop and give them the specs.They should be able to make them quickly.

I have the specs I think I may do just that. Thanks Ed.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited February 2007
    Options
    My CRS+ stands are actually Metal Technology TMT-30 30 inch stands. The Dayton's linked in ESAVINON's post are very similar to mine.

Here's a link:Metal Tech TMT Series
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
    My CRS+ stands are actually Metal Technology TMT-30 30 inch stands. The Dayton's linked in ESAVINON's post are very similar to mine.

Here's a link:Metal Tech TMT Series

Thanks Ray.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I would also like to know if the height of the stands are critical to the SDA effect.

I did not find the stand height to affect the SDA effect. It did affect the height of the stereo image. I did not like the sound with the 25" high Polk stands. I was always "looking down" on the sound stage. I seem to recall that you were going to set up your CRS+'s in a bedroom system, so tweeter height may not be that critical for you.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I did not find the stand height to affect the SDA effect. It did affect the height of the stereo image. I did not like the sound with the 25" high Polk stands. I was always "looking down" on the sound stage. I seem to recall that you were going to set up your CRS+'s in a bedroom system, so tweeter height may not be that critical for you.

Great memory there Ray about the bedroom set up.;) I have the CRSs though:p with the new tweets not the plus. I believe they belonged to Doro at one time and Jesse refinished them. Thanks for all the info, great stuff as usual.:)

Joe