Audio flaw in Gladiator... or speaker problem..

Options
Dot40
Dot40 Posts: 29
edited February 2007 in Troubleshooting
Hello my Polk friends,
Last week I was watching Gladiator and thought I blew my tweeters on my rti10s because I heard this real annoying crackling noise at certain points of the movie. I called Polk and ordered 2 tweeters, but sure enough it crackled at the same parts of the movie when i tested them today. I'm worried that there might be something wrong with my speakers... but am also thinking it's just the DVD. Can anyone test this out? One of the worst crackling noises occurs on Chapter 16 of the movie (regular theatrical release version) at approx:
1:33:09 - 1:33:13
and
1:33:21 - 1:33:27
It is the scene where caesar lets Maximus live after he takes off his mask... when the music and crowd come together as they are cheering.
If anyone could test that out on their rig and let me know if they get the same results... I'm hoping it's a flaw with the dvd audio and not anything more.
Thank you very much in advance!
-Adam
Post edited by Dot40 on

Comments

• edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Just curious, which version and what sound setting? DTS, DD, etc. It might be different on the different discs released. I can try it out tonight if I have the same disc.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I have watched this in DD and DTS and havent experienced any "crackling". Have you experience this with other movies? Surely you would notice the defect in other movies if you have speaker problem. Rent another copy of Gladiator and see if it does the same thing?

Hey Edbert, cool setup you starting off with, like the pics you posted. Good job.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • edbert
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks! I was surprised to get it all at once honestly(Christmas gifts).

I will try it both in DD and DTS tonight and see what happens. BTW, is this at a regular listening volume or cranked pretty good. Just trying to duplicate as much as possible.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • Dot40
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hey thanks for the reply.
    I am using Gladiator: Extended Edition. It happens when I use both the Theatrical and the Extended versions of the movie (same disc... it prompts you on which one you want)
    I listened to it using DD 5.1... but oddly enough i just tried the french DD5.1 and it didn't make the noise! How did they mess up the English audio on that one!?
  • Dot40
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I listened to it cranked pretty good.
    This noise hasn't happened on other movies I listened to at this volume.
  • edbert
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I just listened to it and the only thing that I can figure is the sound of the trumpets during those segments. They are pretty loud and have that really brassy sound, which might come across as scratchiness. I tried it on both DD and DTS and have the extended edition as well. Hope that helps.

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • edbert
    edited February 2007
    Options
    w2qaR3FW09'0PZZ.rrrrrrrrrrrrrxxxxxtedxwer
    pl

this is my 5 month old daughters reply.

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • Dot40
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Edbert,
    I think I must have a bad copy. Like I said earlier I tried playing it in French DD and it sounded fine at that part. Thank you for testing it.