Polk M5 Speaker Replacement

Options
thermokline
thermokline Posts: 2
edited February 2007 in Troubleshooting
I have been using a pair of triangular M5's for the past 13 years and just recently started having problems at low level with the a driver coil. I purchased replacement drivers and tweeters from Polk but neither tech support in Baltimore nor I can figure out how to pull off the face plate. They suggested a 4" putty knife but I do not want to damage the speaker. Has anyone done this or have suggestions?
Post edited by thermokline on

Comments

• Eric W
    Eric W Posts: 556
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I have been using a pair of triangular M5's for the past 13 years and just recently started having problems at low level with the a driver coil. I purchased replacement drivers and tweeters from Polk but neither tech support in Baltimore nor I can figure out how to pull off the face plate. They suggested a 4" putty knife but I do not want to damage the speaker. Has anyone done this or have suggestions?

Here are the instructions on how to get it apart.
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio
  • CTSinclair3
    CTSinclair3 Posts: 1
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I think I have the same problem on my 10yo M5s (indoor version). Is there any conventional wisdom / thoughts by other members on whether these are worth repairing? New drivers come to about $100 for a pair and as noted above they're not easy to work on.

What says the board, resurrect or R.I.P.?

Thanks for any input.
  • thermokline
    thermokline Posts: 2
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks, I do not want to give up these speakers!