RTi150, PSW303, CSi30 questions

brwells
brwells Posts: 2
Just bought these speakers as an upgrade to my old Inifinities. Really nice, but a couple questions:

Nowhere do I see in the manuals whether to set up the RTi150s as Large or Small. They are obviously Large in size, but most articles and books on HT say that Small is almost always what one should use for HT speakers. I set them up as Large and they do sound a little better than Small, but I could be imagining - after all, isn't bigger better :rolleyes: ? (Little joke, but I do wonder what the "correct" setting is...)

With the PSW303 and the other speakers, what should the crossover be set at? I looked through the forum and there are lots of opinions, but all seamed to be with specific speakers. What is the suggestion with these?

My reciever is an Onkyo TX-SR800.

And now I am off to angle my center down as I have seen you guys suggest...
Post edited by brwells on

Comments

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    I vote for Large. :)
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    Almost always small will give the best sound for HT - even with full range speaks. However, your speaks have really significant air moving capability, and you might get away with large and the sub set to yes/on. Considering what you have for a sub, it might actually help move more total air volume than on small.

However, bear in mind that on large, they will be sent a full range signal and many DVDs have significant bass in the mains channel that is usually redirected to the sub on small. Reproducing this bass will take a boat load of high current power - taxing your receiver and detracting from its ability to accurately produce mid and highs. If I was going to run these speaks on large, I would use at least 300 WPC of high current power. Does the oink have pre-outs for the mains?

Also, running on large creates three separate bass sources in the room, and this may conspire against you obtaining a flat bass response and minimizing nulls and standing waves.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • brwells
    brwells Posts: 2
    edited December 2002
    Thank you for the reponse! I will set the "oink" to small. But are you suggesting that the oink subwoofer setting be set to "No"? If I do that, what do I set the crossover to on the oink and the sub?
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2002
    I would set them to large.. and your sub to on.. i like the full range going to the front towers. i too have played with the small setting for all speakers.. i didn't notice to much difference.. just more lows were directed to the sub.

brwells, try all small. then all large. see which sounds best in your set up. Neither small or large is wrong.. it's just a matter of opinion. some say small always. some say large is the only way to go with towers.

My rule of thumb is ALWAYS go small if you have those small cube type satellite type speakers.. they can't handle lows.. otherwise.. most towers and some bookshelfs can handle anything you throw at them. esp if they are Polks. :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    Very well said Dr. Spec. but them 150's are a tough call. I have always been happy with the small setting over the large. Gives the speakers more dymanic clarity and more effortless sound.

brwells, nice setup and great chose on the reciever.
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited December 2002
    having just gone through this with new LSI's I have to vote for small on this one.
    i spent all day tweaking mine around and the best all around sound for all media is the small setting.
    the biggest advantage i found was how much better the mids and the highs are...seamless...effortless is the best way to describe it.
    another advantage is that it won't drain the wee out of your receiver. the LSI's are power hungy and low freq drain the life out of it. it does not even break a sweat with small settings and the crossover freq set at 100. until i get the cash to bi-amp the LSI's this produces the best sound. it's better than anything i have ever heard and then some, can't imagine what more power would do. one thing i have learned in this game is make the most of what you have, take the time to tweak the stuff around and you will not be dissapointed.
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    Out of curiousity....

I have an Onkyo tx-sv727 (circa 1996 or so) and I don't have anywhere to set speakers to large or small. This isn't even a DD unit, and only pro logic. I really like the way that my mains perform with this amp, but at some point in the near future i'm going to replace it.

My question is, do the units that were pre dd basically push full range to all speaks, giving me the equivelant of the LARGE on the new receiver?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2002
    Bump.......

Can someone help me understand what my settings should be in switching from a pre-Dolby Digital receiver to one that is? I like the sound and punch from my current set-up, but what would the equivelant of what it's currently running as be with a new receiver (big or small settings)?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2002
    brettw22, i would say if you are running a DD receiver.. in two channel mode.. i would use large setting from the fronts. if you are running 5.1 ch with a sub.. use small setting.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by brettw22
    My question is, do the units that were pre dd basically push full range to all speaks, giving me the equivelant of the LARGE on the new receiver?

Exact-a-mundo......

In the days before DD and DTS, most receivers pushed the full dynamic range on the main channels (unless you had some sort of x-over built into the receiver). As a result it treated all your speakers as "Large." It was then your responsibility to put a high pass x-over on your speakers if they couldn't handle the lows.

With the day and age of DD and DTS, receivers have gotten smarter because the information they were pushing was more complex. Thus, the age of "Small" and "Large" were born to confuse the hell out of everyone with the need for Bass Management.

Just my two Abe Lincolns on the matter....
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....