Soundproofing Walls

Options
venomclan
venomclan Posts: 2,467
Dear Polk Enthusiasts,
I have been a Polkster for the last 8 years and am going to move into a condo in the next few weeks. I am currently remodeling the place and would like to sound proof 2 of the rooms so that my neighbors cannot hear me or I them. I was told to build a "Party Wall" against the existing walls to acheive moderate-heavy sound proofing.
I plan on putting horizontal studs against the vertical ones in the existing wall, this is to minimize the contact between the walls and vibrations. I am then going to use material I found at Home Depot called Sound Deadening Board. These come in 1/2 inch thick sheets which I want to double up on. Also using acoustical insulation(Pink Panther) and silicone to seal holes and minimize vibrations. The walls I intend to build with Backerboard, heavier and more dense than sheetrock.
My question is, has anybody had experience with Sound Deadening Board, or any sound proofing in an apartment or condo? I am curious to know what methods worked well and coments are appreciated.

My system:
Mains: RT16
Center: CSLS350
Surrounds: LS/FX
SUB: PSW150 (Not being used in condo)

Onkyo THX828
Onkyo ED301
Harman Kardon PA5800

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jeremy
Post edited by venomclan on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I know a real exspensive way...LOL!
    Lay out studs along the walls, Nail them down. Then Put egg crates enbetween each stud. Then Put Sheat rock over it, repaint.
    Thats the only way I could see this being acheived.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Yeah but your only 13, and you don't know which end of the hammer to use!! Time for bed junior, let the grown ups talk. Nite Nite schunuckums!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Venomclan,
    Don't pay any attention to the little boy that posted earlier, he really is 13. Checkout WWW.AVSForum.com, There are some really sharp guys over there that have a lot more expertise with this sort of thing. Good luck with your project, let us know how it turns out.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Yeah but your only 13, and you don't know which end of the hammer to use!! Time for bed junior, let the grown ups talk. Nite Nite schunuckums!
    What the all mighty FrankZ has spokin??Feel the need to give Mxstyle a beating like that??Why don't you try picking on someone your own age,since your all hung up on it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Look im tired of reading you effin age s***! and for your info, I work for my dad on construction! I probally no more about building a house than you will probally ever know! More the less, use a effin hammer! Just because Im 13, dont mean that I cant stand the same way you can, and talk just like you. You think you all high and mighty, i think you scared because you cant walk some ground! SHUT THE HECK UP! You got a problem with kids, then take it up with every youth and stop effin around! Just because im 13, dont mean all I can do is talk about stupid junk! I know alot for being my age, I can do alot of things many kids my age cant! if you got a problem with me, My s/n is Mxstyler2k2
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Hey Frank.......you got a problem with Mxstylepolkman???You now gotta a problem with me.........you just earned my undivided attention.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Anywayz, back on the subject.
    I'd also do this, Lay out studs around the walls, Do double Insulation. Then lay the Sheat rock of your chioce over it. Sound will be absorbed dramatically I would think...Also You could try putting a Tarp over the studs, then laying sheat rock over that also...Just make sure its a thick tarp and its tight. But I wouldnt completely recomend trying that....but thats what I think you could do.

I also dont think that would pass code...
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Mx,
    Lighten up dude, just pokin' a little fun your way.

Mantis,
    You are no longer relevant.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    Options
    You can do a Yahoo (or whatever) search for floating wall. The main thing is to try to not have the outer wall touching the inner wall. The horizontal stud method works well and is much easier, but the floating method is supposed to give better soundproofing. Build a stand-alone wall, but don't connect it to the one behind it. Only connect at the floor and ceiling. This would probably only need to be done to the common wall.

I haven't used Sound Deadening Board nor actually built a floating wall, but I've read a little about it as I own a duplex (upstairs renters) and have considered doing a ceiling which is much more complicated. People seem to like the deadening board. If you double up in it, I'd use one sheet (or just strips) between the standing wall and the new studs.

Good luck! When you're done let us know how it went and give tips.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • venomclan
    edited December 2002
    Options
  • venomclan
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for all the replies and the advice. I hope I dident cause any friction between anybody. I thank all of you, all ages for your advice. I did some research and found this site you guys may find useful, for soundproofing: www.soundproofing.org,
    Thanks for your help. Happy Holidays.
    Jeremy
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Venomclan,
    Good luck with your project.

There was no friction, just perception problems. Everything's cool though.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Also, slide in 60lb (90 lb. is better if you can find it) asphalt paper, it works very well for controling sound.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.