Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited January 2007
    beardog03 wrote:
    SCompRacer ,

I was looking at your rig in the showcase.....very nice !!!

I bet that rig sound soooo good !!

Thanks bear! It sure floats my boat. The final frontier will be a pair of Innersound 600WPC ESL amps, one for the top and one for the bottom. Norm(anality) has a pair, and they will provide that last remaining few percent of sonics I do not get with the tube amps. They are rebadged Coda Continuum Series 3.3 amps. They are a high voltage instead of high current SS design. Another option are the Sunfire 600~two series amps, which allow one to choose high voltage or amperage. I prefer high voltage amps on the panels over high amperage.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2007
    Me too Rich, I particularly love your two channel rig. . . very, very nice!!! One question, where is your turntable?

Thanks Joe! Still waiting for the top rack section. It is supposed to arrive today. I had the TT set up on a small table in front of the rack just to get an idea of what it would sound like. It was not vey stable. I wouldn't even let the dog walk around with it set up like that.

I didn't have enough shot from the reloading days to fill another rack section and went to buy a bag. Sweet jebus, it has gone up in price!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited January 2007
    SCompRacer wrote:
    LOL OK, I’ll put your name on it.

Mike, what effect does changing input capacitance have on sonics? I read an article on how to determine the input capacitance setting, and it also said to experiment with different settings.

I've read that you can use a MC at the default MM impedance (47K) to increase dynamics. I think you have to tweak the VTA to overcome increased brightness. All I have here are MM and high output MC cartridges, so I have no firsthand experience.

BTW - I neglected to say WOW!! earlier. Nicely designed piece of gear. So Innersound components were also badged as CODA?
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the info Mike. I am looking at the Dynavector line for a MC cartridge. Dan Wright, who is a pretty serious vinyl guy, suggested I go with at least the 10x5, or better yet the 20X like you have.

I don’t know who manufactured the early Innersound gear, but the second design bass and ESL amps along with phono pre amp and pre amp are made by Coda. I don’t know who else they build for, but there is a disclaimer on their contact page saying they won’t support non-Coda branded gear.

Check out this page, Halo’s post #311. That is the Innersound bass amp with active crossover with Black face. I posted some pics I borrowed from the Coda site of the Continuum Series 3.3 amps. The rear panel configuration and front panel are different, but internally they look the same.

The ESL panel amp and bass amp design were the same, except for the bass amp having an active crossover with separate bass/midrange/volume controls and a slightly different face plate. They were available with Silver or Black face plates. I don’t know if Roger had them spec’d any differently, but the output wattage is the same. Sanders Sound Systems sells the ESL amp for $2995.

They are a fine amp. Norm can go past 100dB with incredible detail on his system while my TAD-60 tubers start petering out. Someday in the future, if I get my audio bank refunded, I'll be looking for a pair of these amps. They usually pop up for ~$1500 used.

EDIT: Oh, I agree about the design. Only thing I am concerned about is using the FET design phono pre amp with an all tube system as it might be too warmish.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2007
    beardog03 wrote:
    SCompRacer ,

I was looking at your rig in the showcase.....very nice !!!

I bet that rig sound soooo good !!

I've had the opportunity to hear that system, and I can tell you it is terrific! The soundstage and image are huge. Sitting in that sweetspot is like sitting in heaven!
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    SCompRacer wrote:
    Thanks Joe! Still waiting for the top rack section. It is supposed to arrive today.

You Traitor!!!LOL
    SCompRacer wrote:
    I had the TT set up on a small table in front of the rack just to get an idea of what it would sound like. It was not vey stable. I wouldn't even let the dog walk around with it set up like that.

My little guy is not even allowed in the media room because he can't walk and chew gum without stumbling. . . I'm afraid I'm going to hear a big thud and have to peal him off the rug like Wile E. Coyote because a 1.2 TL fell on the spastic little goof.
    SCompRacer wrote:
    I didn't have enough shot from the reloading days to fill another rack section and went to buy a bag. Sweet jebus, it has gone up in price!

Last time, I paid $45 for two 25lb bags of #9 shot . . .
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited February 2007
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited February 2007
    This thread is for audio gear guts, not nuts. Would you mind removing that please?

Reported.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited February 2007
    Bad..very bad.
  • louthewiz
    louthewiz Posts: 581
    edited February 2007
    My oppo 970-HD dvd player with Underworld inside.
    My gear,
    Acer PH530 720P PJ
    100 inch Da-Lite Video Spectra screen
    Yamaha HTR 5790
    Toshiba HD-A3
    Denon 1600 dvd player with sdi out,
    DVDO iSCAN HD+
    Panasonic Dmr E-80H
    Dishnetwork HD pvr
    1 Audiosource amp300 150 wpc Fronts
    1 Audiosource ampone bridged 200 watts powering center
    1 Onkyo M-282 105 wpc amplifier sides
    polk cs400 center
    polk RT400 mains
    Polk mkII back surrounds,
    Polk FX300fxi dipole surrounds
    Velodyne DPS-10 sub
    Klipsch KSW-10 sub.:cool:
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    louthewiz wrote:

I have one. Underworld inside??? Is that a modification? I know of Underwood.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    SK...

dude , get with the program..

WTF ?!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited February 2007
    louthewiz wrote:
    where is the powersupply in this one ?
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    izafar wrote:

The yellow circuit board is where the AC comes in from the wall.
  • louthewiz
    louthewiz Posts: 581
    edited February 2007
    I have one. Underworld inside??? Is that a modification? I know of Underwood.

UNDERWORLD DVD
    My gear,
    Acer PH530 720P PJ
    100 inch Da-Lite Video Spectra screen
    Yamaha HTR 5790
    Toshiba HD-A3
    Denon 1600 dvd player with sdi out,
    DVDO iSCAN HD+
    Panasonic Dmr E-80H
    Dishnetwork HD pvr
    1 Audiosource amp300 150 wpc Fronts
    1 Audiosource ampone bridged 200 watts powering center
    1 Onkyo M-282 105 wpc amplifier sides
    polk cs400 center
    polk RT400 mains
    Polk mkII back surrounds,
    Polk FX300fxi dipole surrounds
    Velodyne DPS-10 sub
    Klipsch KSW-10 sub.:cool:
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    louthewiz wrote:
    UNDERWORLD DVD

ROFLMAO!!! What A DOPE I AM!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    izafar wrote:
    Its a switching type supply so it doesn't use a large tranformer and big filter caps which allows it to be very compact and ah... shall we say cheap..
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited February 2007
    dorokusai wrote:
    This thread is for audio gear guts, not nuts. Would you mind removing that please?

Reported.

It's not a NAD.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited February 2007
    While I had it out I took the top off and 1980's Technics Stereo Integrated Amplifier SU-V75 that I use to power my whole house sound system.

I thought the heat sink and associated part and pieces were interesting. I have never seen anything like it. But then again i have not looked at many amps with the lid off.

Here she is Nekkid, and a little dusty.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited February 2007
    Since I am opening everything up in sight that is not hooked up. Here is the guts of my SS Amplified Music Products Series 260 bass amp that I used to power an Ampeg SVT-810 bass cabinet back when I was a Rock Star, or at least I thought I was.:rolleyes:

I bought this because I could not afford the real Ampeg Tube Amp that was supposed to power the SVT-810.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    my jolida before I start the Mods..

Bwahahahaaaaa
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    The Rotel RB-980BX

I have wanted to hear a different brand for awhile and finally the opportunity presented itself courtesy of Bear. I'm happy with the overall sound and it runs cool. It's heavy to one side and the caps are 10,000 uF
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited March 2007
    My NAD T163 pre/pro. This is after I opened it to replace some OpAmps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23060&d=1172809805.jpg

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • hangon
    hangon Posts: 228
    edited March 2007
    This is what mine looks like. To big and heavy to take apart.Attachment not found.
    HT Theater

SRS-SDA 2.3tl RDO's
    Custom Center made out of a RTA15tl
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    CineNova Grande 5 channel Amp
    Klipsch KA-1000-THX Sub Amp
    (2)Klipsch KW-120-THX Subs

Basement System

SRS-SDA 1.2 upgraded Xover
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    ADCOM GFA 5500
    ADCOM GFA 5503
    Yahama P7000S Pro Audio Amp
    dbx 120x-ds Sub-harmonic Synthesizer
    2-JBL 4645C Subs
    1-Paradigm SW2200 Sub
    Klipsch Reference in wall's
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited March 2007
    Man, this is one fascinating thread..........:cool:
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 2007
    An InnerSound ESL 300 MK II amp. It is rated at 300WPC @ 8 Ohms/600WPC @ 4 Ohms for conventional speakers, or capable of delivering 1,720 volt–amps into the capacitive load an electrostatic panel presents. It shares a similar design to Halo’s InnerSound bass amp with active crossover shown in post 311, and the Coda Continum amp I mentioned in post 347.

I asked Roger Sanders about his design, and he replied that he worked with Coda’s first class engineers to help design and build InnerSound products. The original ESL amp is a modified version of Coda’s Continum amp. Roger had them increase the output transistor count to make them more suitable for driving an ESL. He added a modest amount of properly-designed feedback for low distortion without compromising the sound and lowered the bias so it runs cool and efficient. The face plate and back panel were redesigned, and he upgraded to WBT binding posts and better quality RCA connectors. He also added a speaker protection fuse.

I’ve only got one right now and I am using it on the panels. I have a Marchand active crossover so I bypassed the simple crossover in my original XA200 (200WPC @ 4 Ohms) crossover bass amp (Normanality’s post # 83) and am just using the amp portion to drive the woofers.

EDIT:
    Add Sanders Sound Systems ESL amp. It has a much larger transformer that is potted in epoxy and completely encapsulated in a steel shield. It has a thicker top plate made of machined and anodized aluminum, and a thicker steel bottom plate to handle the added weight. It is more powerful at 360 watts RMS per channel into an 8 ohm load or 2000 volt-amps per channel into an ESL. Momentary output into a 2 ohm load exceeds 1000 watts. I have this amp on the woofers and the InnerSound ESL amp on the panels.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited March 2007
    Well, finally got around to doing the usual internal checks/adjustements on my new big Parasound. Took a few shots while it was apart.
    This is the amp that started to make a name for Parasound, and its widely known that its the Father of the Halo A-21.

The inside is kinda busy, but when you look close, its not overly complicated. There's just a lot of everything, build overkill. You can't see the output section because its attached to the heatsinks and beneath the boards. A shame, because its got 12 sankens per channel (6 matching pair). This is a true dual mono design that shares only a power cord. Twin torroids are stacked on top of each other. 4 big 25000uf caps buried underneath the separate power supply boards for each channel.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    billbillw wrote:
    Well, finally got around to doing the usual internal checks/adjustements on my new big Parasound. Took a few shots while it was apart.
    This is the amp that started to make a name for Parasound, and its widely known that its the Father of the Halo A-21.

The inside is kinda busy, but when you look close, its not overly complicated. There's just a lot of everything, build overkill. You can't see the output section because its attached to the heatsinks and beneath the boards. A shame, because its got 12 sankens per channel (6 matching pair). This is a true dual mono design that shares only a power cord. Twin torroids are stacked on top of each other. 4 big 25000uf caps buried underneath the separate power supply boards for each channel.

Ballsy lookin' !!!!
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited March 2007
    Y'all,

Here's the insides of my Parasound HCA-2200.

Notice the massive stacked torodial trannies and dual sets of caps.

Everything else seems pretty bread & butter, just on a bigger scale. :D

Anyone know where I can get some nice metal binding post nuts to replace the crappy plastic ones that are breaking? I'm gonna post this question in another thread since this one is way looooong.

ETA: Seems like the MkII has almost double the little white, ceramic looking things that are part of the output sections. That and the switches for un/balanced seem to be the only non-cosmetic differences that my untrained eye can see. ***BTW, my 2200 is SDA-safe.***

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited March 2007
    Wes,
    That's pretty cool to see the two amps side by side (well almost). I can see subtle differences on the input board and the power supply boards are bigger. Those white ceramic things are resistors (wrong, actually film caps) and I have no idea why there are so many (part of the power filtering). These amps are more similar than they are different, that's for sure.
    I-SIG wrote:
    Y'all,

Here's the insides of my Parasound HCA-2200.

Notice the massive stacked torodial trannies and dual sets of caps.

Everything else seems pretty bread & butter, just on a bigger scale. :D

Anyone know where I can get some nice metal binding post nuts to replace the crappy plastic ones that are breaking? I'm gonna post this question in another thread since this one is way looooong.

ETA: Seems like the MkII has almost double the little white, ceramic looking things that are part of the output sections. That and the switches for un/balanced seem to be the only non-cosmetic differences that my untrained eye can see. ***BTW, my 2200 is SDA-safe.***

Wes
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...