"Being There" w/Peter Sellers

Options
George Grand
George Grand Posts: 12,258
edited January 2007 in Music & Movies
I watched this dvd today for the first time since it was released around 1980. I enjoyed it back then and now as well. Peter Sellers lovers will enjoy this. Very unique premise and dry humor.

Thrill seekers can stay away. No explosions, special effects, car chases, gladiators, gore, wizards, Ewoks, kung-fu, hip-hop, or other dumb stuff in general.
Post edited by George Grand on

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Peter Sellers was a genius !

I really like his stuff....
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I bought the DVD when it first came out in 2001. Excellent film.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited January 2007
    Options
    This is a great film - I worked summers in a theater when it came out and used to have the poster - one of many now long gone... Great movie though - "you tell Raphael...I ain't taking no"
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited January 2007
    Options
    EXCELLENT movie!
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I's a shame only us old guys even know this excellent movie exists. The current crop of "comic actors" (and I use the term loosely) couldn't even stand in Seller's shadow.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Yep, showing our age. I watched it last year for the first time in 20 years or so, and it still holds up nicely. A great movie.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I loved all of his Pink Panther movies. They would have me crying with laughter!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • seo
    seo Posts: 305
    edited January 2007
    Options
    " I like to watch."
    Signature goes here
  • George Grand
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I have used "I like to watch" since the first time I heard it.

Shirley was still in good form back then too. Okay, trivia question. When he has to leave the house for the first time. Who is the artist that recorded the music? I don't want to know the name of the song, that's a piece of cake. The artist! For bonus points, who played the drums on it? Googling is cheating, pull the answers out of your head.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Eumir Deodato's funk, Billy Cobham's drums.

Count me in as a Sellers fan.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • George Grand
    edited January 2007
    Options
    If you didn't Google it Rich, you da man.
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hell George, I was there too.

Long ago, I had a second home over at my best bud’s place. Dave P was one of seven to Mr and Mrs P, whom just had me call them mom and dad. They were a very musical family, and all the kids played an instrument. Dave played the sax, his dad played the clarinet, his mom played the piano, Jimmy played the drums, etc. Always spinning on a TT in the background was music. Could be Big Band, Mills Brothers, but mostly it was jazz. Like most blue collar workers in the hood I lived in, it wasn’t unusual to find the head of the household at the table with a couple of quarts of beer after getting home from work. Sometimes the clarinet came out by the second quart, and the first thing heard was 5’2 cause his wife was 5’2 with eyes of blue. I was welcome to join in with my accordion, but I hated being forced to learn it and never mastered it. My bud loved jazz, and he brought me out of my isolated rock genre. Well Dave eventually wed, and his wife to be disliked me so much I could not be the best man or even an usher at the wedding, so we eventually lost contact.

Fast forward to the future, but not quite present day. Several years ago I learned of Norm’s existence through a ‘putie forum we hung out in. We eventually hooked up and got back into audio. Though he doesn’t say much, Norm has a vast knowledge of music and audio. He also loves jazz, and sometimes says a name that generates recognition in a brain cell that I thought was long dead from daily doses of JW Black Label to numb the pain of chasing a corporate career. See, they wanted my thoughts too.

Anyway, that is how I know some things. And Norm, or anyone else, has ever fed me names in the album cover game.

I have a trivia question with five parts. What is playing the post, what instrument is it done with, which genre was it most noticed in, which genre did it originate in, and why didn’t you see it much in modern times?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • George Grand
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I don't understand the first part of the question, "What is playing the post?" Do you mean, "What musical instrument is also referred to as "the post"?
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Sorry aboot dat. I should have said "what part of what instrument is used."
  • George Grand
    edited January 2007
    Options
  • Soccerplyr
    Soccerplyr Posts: 160
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Great book. Read it a few years ago. Didn't even know they made it into a movie. I'll have to grab a copy.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited January 2007
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote:
    Sorry aboot dat. I should have said "what part of what instrument is used."
    Oh, so you want to know what instrument has posts and holes :D
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,264
    edited January 2007
    Options
    And let us not forget another classic that Peter Sellers displayed his genius in: "Dr. Strangelove".

"Being There", "Dr. Strangelove", the "Pink Panther" series .... understated and subtle performances.

What a master !
    Sal Palooza
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited January 2007
    Options
    "After the Fox" another lesser known Sellers comedic gem. He was kinda creepy in Lolita as well. Look beyond the Panther series. They were more exploitive of his talents as opposed to showcasing them.
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited January 2007
    Options
    And let us not forget another classic that Peter Sellers displayed his genius in: "Dr. Strangelove".
    Definately a classic.

PS. Trivia: harmonica and the polka?
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2007
    Options
    TheReaper wrote:

PS. Trivia: harmonica and the polka?

Believe it or not… This was mentioned on a Chicago radio program I listen to, Jazz with Dick Buckley, WBEZ, 91.5.

Playing the post was done by a jazz drummer sticking the cymbal stand, or post. It was reportedly seen first with big band drummers. Changes in stand metallurgy, or the stands being made with thinner metals, did not achieve the desired effect.