Hk 3480 or CA540A

Options
Chicomoralessxm
Chicomoralessxm Posts: 417
edited March 2007 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm still undecided on these two. Unfortunately folks i can't audition either before them so i'm kinda handicapped by that. What are the pros an cons of each for a 2channel setup. I'm prob gettings rti6's and paradigm titan v5. Will add a sub later. But out of the two what is the better choice. budget wise the hk works better for me since i won't have to get a tuner and its more than 200 buck cheaper. Any thoughts please............
Chicomorales:)
Post edited by Chicomoralessxm on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Get the HK.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • dcoil
    dcoil Posts: 153
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I haven't heard either, but I have read the CA540A is one of their weaker outings. If you want to go with the CA go for the 640A. If your speakers are anything less than 8 ohms, or you need some headroom for other reasons, the HK is a better bet over the 540A. I've got a HT HK receiver, and it pushes my SDA 2B's with ease and then some.
    SDA SRS modded: X’ovrd, de-polyed, inductorized, interconnectorized, re-posted, dynamited, RDO’d, spiked, gasketed, ringed (Larry's), and grill cloth blinged! Done this on my own? Not a chance. Thanks to Raife and all who forged easy to follow upgrades. At least a 100% improvement in sound and my personal listening pleasure! :cheesygrin:Pass XP-10 preamp, Parasound A21 amp, Pioneer Elite DV-58AV (Ric Shultz modded), Audioquest Sky IC's, No longer need my Sunfire sub after mods...
  • Chicomoralessxm
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    Get the HK.
    Thanks for your opinion on the HK may is ask a simple why? Is the better product??? build more power??

Here's another question to anyone is the 340c worth getting or is on par with the nad c525bee or do i just spend extra on the 540?? As you can tell i like CA products there is something about the look.
  • Chicomoralessxm
    edited December 2006
    Options
    any thoughts???
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I have an HK AVR and love it. Build quality is very good, and for the prices you can find their products for online, they're a great deal.

Specs on all HKs are very modest / conservative. Their 75 wpc 635 put to shame the 110 wpc Pioneer vsx1015 I originally had. Like, took it out behind the woodshed and just worked it over.

Also, the HK suff is very functional, remotes work well, more features than you'll find in the average integrated amp, etc. I'd go HK. I got a Pioneer Elite A35R integrated for my bedroom setup, but if I find a HK stereo receiver for a similar price, I may trade it out.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Early B.
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Thanks for your opinion on the HK may is ask a simple why? Is the better product??? build more power??

Yeah, what Andy said. I used to own the 3480.

Stop procrastinatin' and just buy the damn thing.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Get the CA.

Better yet...get the NAD.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Definitely get the HK. Now, if you want a really good buy pick up a remanufactured unit from HK's eBay store. You get the full warranty, and in reality, the chance of a second flaw happening are quite slim.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Chicomoralessxm
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Ok thanks immensely guys i'm sold on the H/k plus the price is good too lol. I'' prob get the nad372 or CA640a some time later. but for now its the HK!!! now on to the cd player lol 340C for around 300+buck the denon dcm390 for about 270 or the nad c525bee for 300???
    Since i'm outside the states i'm kinda watching my shipping costs if i get the nad i'd prob either get focal, psb or paradigm speakers since these are all from the same dealor. any suggustions on a good cdplayer for music with bookshelves??? not over 300 bucks since i dont wanna spend more than 550 on my speakers.
  • Chicomoralessxm
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Hey mark thanks as always for your input
  • Early B.
    edited December 2006
    Options
    For music, buy yourself a $150 Oppo DVD player. It probably sounds just as good as the options you've listed. Plus, it's great for video.

• Chicomoralessxm
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Oppo is a brand i'm hearing good things about and the prices is very competitive to say the least so you are reccomending the DV-970-hd???

I know marks vote already has anyone else heard of the aperion 632 bookshelf. does it beat out the polk rti'6??? just a question
  • Chicomoralessxm
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Any thoughts on the aperion 632???
  • Chicomoralessxm
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Well its appears not. Just a questions i'm going to get the hk3480 latter Jan. Still deciding on the bookshelves though. But i saw the music hall 25.2a That amps looks sweet anyone know about their products??? 600 is well a bit over my budget but for sure as a latter upgrade i will certainly consider it. It seems to have good reviews as well anyone know or has anyone heard it before???
  • Katie2004
    Katie2004 Posts: 2
    edited January 2007
    Options
    You've probably already purchased your system but here's a thought.

I have a 1984 H/K 680i (60 watts per channel) and just upgraded my speakers to Polk RM40T's plus a PSW10 subwoofer. The criteria for the sound I expected was, “I want a sound as near as possible to attending a live performance of a band in a small club/auditorium or a classical performance in a concert hall.” Since I have been a long time member of the International Bluegrass Music Association (and pick a little myself), I have a very experienced ear for hearing an acoustic instrument and sound reinforced performances.

I couldn't be more pleased. The H/K is performing like I've never experienced before and I wouldn't even consider replacing it. I had made up my mind that, if the new speakers did not produce the desired result of having enough clarity to be able to pick out a particular instrument or voice part from a multitude of CD’s containing Bluegrass, Country, Jazz, Classical and Piano, (which I had used to audition other speakers), I would return them and get another brand instead.

Bottom line, get the H/K but the speakers you pair it with are extremely critical to your final result.
  • Katie2004
    Katie2004 Posts: 2
    edited January 2007
    Options
    OOPS! I forgot, Polk is currently offering a $200 credit on a subwoofer on any purchase of a Polk speaker over $250 (I think). I'm not sure when the offer expires. That's a great incentive to get a little better speaker system to compliment your receiver/amp. Try www.crutchfield.com for great prices, service and return policies. Crutchfield ships the PSW10BK (their price $199.99)free with the purchase of the required Polk speaker system.
  • Chicomoralessxm
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Greetings and thanks katie well i've almost got my system together and thanks for asking. yes i have decided to go with the hk3480 or is it the 3380 lower wattage i think. prob i will get the paradigm titan monitor 90% sure was seriously considering the aperion 632. but hmmm passed on them maybe later. I will let you know for sure when i make up my mind. Plus i will prob get a second pair of bshleves lsi7's focal 700v or Pdigm20's by the end of the year. Right now i'll deciding on cabling do i avoid name brand like monster and audioquest?? do you really or will i hear a difference on my budget setup???

By the way do you do any picking on the bango?? I have a neigbour here in st maarten and he plays what we call in the island string music he's pretty good. They play all accoustic caribbean folk music. He even makes some instruments lol. well just keep enjoying the music
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Get the 3480 over the 3380. They differnce in power in minimal but considering you can get the 3480 for $198 at harmanaudio.com (refurbed) the price diff. is minimal too. You might even be able to get one from Harman's ebay store for a few bucks less. The 3480 has Vmax processing (as does my 3470) which is a simulated surround processing using two speakers that actually sounds very well for watching movies in 2 channel (if you think you might use it that way). I normally hate the sound of most of those DSPs, but VMAX does work great for movies. Sounds crappy with music, but that's why you can turn it on and off. I think it is definitely worth the extra 20 bucks or so, plus you get a little bump in power (I think the 3380 is rated at 80w/8 ohms to the 3480s 120w/8 ohms, but I don't buy it the 3480 pushes (if I remember correctly) 45 amps to the 3380s 42).
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • Chicomoralessxm
    edited January 2007
    Options
    well i already decided on the 3380 i think its a bit cheap. But i'm getting it new. just my preference the thing is that since i'm located outside the us it costs a little more to get it. I'm saving up to get a higher end int. amp end of the year so i just want something that will last. But not to much cash. Prob will get a music hall if i can afford it later. Right now i'm just trying make my final decision on bookshelves............
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I bought an HK AVR from HK refurb mentioned above, and I use it as a preamp. It has 7.1 outs that run to my adcom amps. I don't know the specs on the other receiver that you are looking at, but for expandability, and configurability the HK is a great buy.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Chicomoralessxm
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Well hk is the way to go then mine should be on they way hopefully by the end of the week. any suggustions on interconnects or speaker wiring???
  • Chicomoralessxm
    edited January 2007
    Options
    If i get any cheapo brand of speaker wire it should be ok just use 12gauge well i'll prob use 14 since i'm using short runs???
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    12 gage wire is a bit heavy for speakers hooked up to a receiver. Do a search on speaker wire in the forum. There are plenty of opinions there. On the interconnects I would do a search there too. I didn't used to believe wire made much of a difference, but after running PBJ's for interconnects I did notice an audible difference.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Chicomoralessxm
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Ok?? what do you mean by heavy??? If i terminate it with basic banana pins have some monster quick locks lying around it should be ok i think.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    Options
    12g is just fine. It is what I use. However cheap wire is cheap wire and makes a difference IMO.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • ben62670
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Ok?? what do you mean by heavy??? If i terminate it with basic banana pins have some monster quick locks lying around it should be ok i think.

What I mean by heavy is there is a lot of capacitance in 12Ga wire which can muffle the highs. I was never a believer in the wires affecting music much, but when you start listening to higher end recordings on good equipment you will hopefully hear how much detail there is in the music. I had 12Ga hooked up to my Adcom GFA-555 and 16Ga. The Ga sounded better than the Ga. If you ever looked inside a speaker you would see the wire is almost all Ga. I would go for quality over quantity. IMO

Enjoy
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Chicomoralessxm
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Heres a dumb question what is "Snake Oil" i'm reading up on some forums and seeing that expression what on earth does it mean??? And just to get your opinion which speakers will go good or with my hk3480still not fully decided. For one i'm holding of getting the rti6's till the new model comes out in may is it? For now i'm still leaning towards the new titan monitor or the psb b25 any thoughts?
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Snake oil is a term from the west in the late 1800's when a traveling salesman came into town with a "magical" elixer that was touted as a cure all. In it was a large amount of alcohol, various roots found along the trail, and on occasion, a snake's head. Hence the name. if the saleman was caught after the town was sickened, tar and feathers were the likely result.

If you get a chance, watch Dustin Hoffman in "Little Big Man". It shows a great version of the snake oil salesman.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Chicomoralessxm
    edited January 2007
    Options
    markmarc wrote:
    Snake oil is a term from the west in the late 1800's when a traveling salesman came into town with a "magical" elixer that was touted as a cure all. In it was a large amount of alcohol, various roots found along the trail, and on occasion, a snake's head. Hence the name. if the saleman was caught after the town was sickened, tar and feathers were the likely result.

If you get a chance, watch Dustin Hoffman in "Little Big Man". It shows a great version of the snake oil salesman.

As always mark thats for the insight. How are things coming along?
  • Chicomoralessxm
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Just a question heard any of the new paradigms monitor v5 that is i'm curious how they sound the titan and mini monitor v5 in particular??? if so what were they wired up to and what cabling???