Monster M1000 Series vs High End Z Series

Options
yoeddy
yoeddy Posts: 140
Here's a new one! I'm getting addicted to cable forums now. I am curious about something. High end Monster Z Series is around 20 to 40 dollars less across the board compared to Monster M1000 Series. When the price is so close, why would someone go with the Z Series product? Just curious if anyone has compared the 2 side to side.

Thanks!
Post edited by yoeddy on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited December 2002
    Options
    A wire addict.......my man................I see we are going to be friends in here.

I can find out whats the difference for yeah Bro......I'll call The rep tomarrow and get it first hand.I don't know anything about the Z series.I know CC sells them.We carry M series.I do know they are listed under Monster standard.I don't know what that means but I will tomarrow.I will report back.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited December 2002
    Options
    yoeddy,

Just watch out when he starts in with the "Bi" stuff.....:p
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• yoeddy
    edited December 2002
    Options
    More on Monster Marketing:

So I'm going the M1000 Series route, and have seen a HUGE difference comparing my M1000cv component cable vs a Video 2 Component cable in color, sharpness, and detail. Very much worth the upgrade.

The M1000d coax for $30 New is a steal that I couldn't pass up, but until interconnects and speaker wire is changed, I probably won't hear much. Anyhoo, comparing the physical characteristics of the M1000d to my old Interlink 100 coax cable seemed to be backwards. If I was basing the quality off of appearance, the Interlink 100 looks more impressive (thicker jacket, bigger turbine connector, cool blue color). The M1000d has a thin jacket, dull gray, and a smaller turbine connector.

Kind of interesting marketing concept, because you'd think they'd make the high end cables all wicked in appearance.
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I think the appearance is effecting your judgement.Don't sweat it man,I get all warm and fuzzy whaen I see beautiful looking wires.
    Dan
  • yoeddy
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Oh no...it isn't affecting judgement one bit, I just thought it was interesting that they design their products that way. When it comes to cable/wire, let your ears be the judge. If it sounds best with the crappy wire, that's how it is. :)
  • mantis
    edited December 2002
    Options
    OK yoeddy,
    I called it in to our Rep and here's what I found out.
    The Z series is a Monster Core Product.Designed for Circuit City,The Whiz,etc.Tweeter doesn't get supplied with this line of cables as we carry the higher end line in M series.
    I can give you some of the differences between the cables.
    The M series has for starters up to 60% more copper content.The M series is also UL CL3 rated, the Z series is not.Which means you can run the M series in the wall and not Z series.They also use different types of shielding,both sport a 95% copper braided shield but the M series uses a 100% copper shield and the Z series uses a foil copper shield.The dielectric's are different,Z series uses HDP and M series uses PEX.Both sport a solid core conductor but the M series uses 26% more copper.
    Need I say more.
    Bottom line is that the M series is the better overall wire.The Z series retains some of the technogy's that go into the M series but not all of them.When the price is close,spend the extra bucks and go M series.
    Have fun wire shopping and don't limit yourself to just Monster.There is an entire world of wire out there waiting for you to experience.Experience it would yeah!!!!
    Dan:p
    Dan
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    Options
    what's the difference between pex and hdp dielectics? :)
  • yoeddy
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Z's also have the mesh jacket and the M's do not...is that right? Any advantage over a mesh jacket or is it aesthetics?