Static Electricity

tmila
tmila Posts: 2
Does anyone know anything about static electricity discharges?

I have a PSW550. Lately, I have been noticing random popping sounds coming out of the sub. I believe it is due to static electricity. It used to only happen when I touched the sub, but now it will happen (randomly) while I'm watching TV. Has anyone experienced similar noises?

Thanks.
Post edited by tmila on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    Welcome to the club!!!!! What a frissky first question. Shake***Shake**** Signs point to yes.
    Ya baby, I'm here all day.
    Anyway never heard of SE effecting electronics that way. Sounds like a bad interconnect.
    Saw on 20/20 that SE it is bad news around gas pumps. :eek:
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    I'm glad somebody brought this up. I keep forgetting to ask about it. Every time I take two steps in the store, the next time I touch an electronics piece, I almost get my god damned hand blown off! Is there ANYTHING I can do to stop this?
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    please please please explain! you have lost me! Are you telling me, if you touch the driver...IT WILL SHOCK U! HAHAHAHHAH! thats funny! Hey, maybe someone walked around the house rubbing their feet against the carpet, came in here - touched my subwoofer driver! AND IT BLEW! HAAAAAAA! boy i need some sleep...
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2002
    Increase the humidity level in your HT room.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2002
    tmila,

i haven't noticed anything related to static elec... but i do notice a popping sound every once in a while when there is a low in the audio for a movie or music. it sounded like the amp from the (350) sub was clicking on or off. it's pretty random. but very noticeable. I was thinking it was the outlet that it was plugged into. I have an old house with old wiring. I should probably get a line conditioner at the very least.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • tmila
    tmila Posts: 2
    edited December 2002
    Thanks everyone for your input.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    I haven't had a problem, but I've seen pictures of rigs where the speaker wires were supported off the carpet at intervals. I assumed then and do now especially that this might be because of static electricity.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • bojangles89
    bojangles89 Posts: 4
    edited December 2002
    I have noticed a very slight pop when my sub turns on or off automatically usually when it turns off while I am listening to music at too low a level for the sub to realize its receiving information.
    Harman Kardon AVR 520
    Sony 5-disc DVP-NC600 dvd player
    Polk R-40 fronts
    Polk Csi-30 center
    Paradigm Performance Series ADP-170 Ver.3 surrounds
    AR PS112 sub
    Samsung tv with 16:9 aspect ratio
    (unfortunatly not true wide screen)
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited December 2002
    Winter time in Baltimore; the trip from the couch to the light switch *ZAP!* and then back to the DVD player *ZAP!* Static electricity sucks!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney