Video switching

dylan
dylan Posts: 453
edited November 2002 in Electronics
I'm a little confused on video switching if there are different sources... I'm planning what cables I need to hook up my friend's new system (Denon 1603 with component in's, HDTV). He has S-Video for satellite TV, and the components from the DVD player... what I'm confused about is if I should run the components straight to the TV, or have them go to the Denon, then to the TV. It's probably a clearer signal if I bypass the Denon, but he requested simplicity in operation if possible... :rolleyes:

So, let's say I'm watching TV and I want to watch a DVD... would the TV understand if the Denon switched from the S-Video to the component... wouldn't I still need to tell the TV itself to switch inputs? If it still requires the user to change the input on the TV, I don't see the point of have the components going to the Denon.
Post edited by dylan on

Comments

• NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited November 2002
    Dylan
    The low-end Denon receiver probably can't convert between component and S-video. Your best bet is to select the best source of video for the component video connection (DVD to TV), the rests hook them up to the Denon's S-video and let it handle ( I assume your friend's TV has both component and S-video inputs).

You're looking for a very expensive component/s-video swicher such as the JVC 777 if you want to hook up everything utilizing the conversion between S-video and component video.
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by dylan
    I'm a little confused on video switching if there are different sources... I'm planning what cables I need to hook up my friend's new system (Denon 1603 with component in's, HDTV). He has S-Video for satellite TV, and the components from the DVD player... what I'm confused about is if I should run the components straight to the TV, or have them go to the Denon, then to the TV. It's probably a clearer signal if I bypass the Denon, but he requested simplicity in operation if possible... :rolleyes:

So, let's say I'm watching TV and I want to watch a DVD... would the TV understand if the Denon switched from the S-Video to the component... wouldn't I still need to tell the TV itself to switch inputs? If it still requires the user to change the input on the TV, I don't see the point of have the components going to the Denon.

Hi dylan:

Some high priced receivers and preamplifiers have high bandwidth component video switching that will pass a high definition signal with minimal degradation. (Since the Denon 1603 feature sheet doesn't mention HD capabilities I assume it just has standard component switching.) High bandwidth component video switching comes in very handy if you have more than one high definition component source and only a single HD component input on your HDTV. (Example, a high definition satellite receiver and a video scaler.)

So in the case of component switching if your friend's HDTV only had one HD component input, and he had more than one component video source, this feature on his receiver would save him the cost of buying a separate video switch. Even with this feature your friend would still have to select the desired video input on the HDTV.

I have an HDTV that has only one RGBHV (a type of VGA) HD input, and I have two high definition VGA sources, so I had to buy a high bandwidth VGA switch. To make things simplier I have a programmable remote control that is programmed to select the appropriate source device on my preamplifier, the HD input on my satellite receiver and HD input on the HDTV all with one "soft button" press on the remote.

In summary, if your friend plans on watching high definition using component inputs it needs to be directly connected to his HDTV because the Denon will degrade the signal. If he only has a single HD input but more than one HD source he will need to buy a high quality component switch. Some HDTVs have more than one type of HD input, so if he has multiple HD sources with connections that matched the available HD inputs of his HDTV, he could still connect without buying the switch. In any case he would still have to select the appropriate video input on his HDTV, either manually or via a programmable remote.

Larry
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited November 2002
    Larry
    Thank you for go an extra step to explain in detail of HD component video. In the real world, I try to point as the easy solution and what he already has available(equipment). I do think that the Denon will degrade the signal if he decide to connect to it and it will cost him to buy two set of component inter-connects, that why I recommended he connect the DVD straight to the TV since his SAT only provided S-video out. I don't think he will spend more money (than what he paid for the receiver) to buy the expensive HD component swicher to accomplish what he wants to do (but I may be wrong). Despite of what I try to explain here, I do agreed with what you said. Cheers
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited November 2002
    Hi NDTA:

You are quite welcome. I hope you realize that I was in no way correcting your response, but rather attempting to answer dylan's question regarding the point of having component connections if you still have to select the TV inputs.

Have a happy Thanksgiving.

Larry
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited November 2002
    Awesome guys, thanks for your time. Once again the Forum comes to the rescue. I had a question on a phono preamp for this system, and hoosier21 had an answer in 30 minutes (thanks hoosier if you're reading).

I have a few hours of wiring tomorrow... but beer, wiring, DVD-Audio (I'm looking forward to this one), and mounds of food sounds like a damn fine day to me. Have a great Thanksgiving! :D