rt 2001's - biamped (oh no)

13»

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2002
    Dan the only reason people are saying to call CS, is that you don't seem to want to listen. You seem to want to just count binding posts and look at other brands and not listen.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited November 2002
    It was a women..I don't remember her name....Troy.

Here's the deal,other powered tower non bi wirable or bi ampable don't put another set of binding post on the back of there speakers.So this old debate would be useless.The only reason it can be debated is just the fact that there is a pair of binding posts for the sub section AND a crossover setting for it.I know what CS had 2 say,and if you read what Liv4fam posted about it,it sounded like she was reading from a book and not from experience.I wish we talked to Ken about it,maybe he could explain why they put another set of binding posts on the back.
    I"m not dense or an **** as this may look but The fact they buit the things the way they did could fool anyone into believing they can be bi wired and bi amped.remove the jumpers and the sub won't work unless you run speakers level or line level to it.
    I made comments about other powered towers in Def Tech and Boston Acoustics.They cannot be bi wired or Bi amped,there is no speaker binding posts on there speakers other then one pair which runs the entire speaker if no line level input if present.That makes total sense.
    so you can use the speaker level connection as opposed to just LFE. sheeeeeeeeeeesh. put your thinking cap on for just a minute.
    put my thinking cap on...well I did and came up with other speakers that can use speaker level connection for the high's,mid's and Lows with just one pair of binding posts.Funny thing is that you can run LFE to these speakers.Powered towers allday.
    Polks will tell you ,that there not bi wireable but yeat you can hook it up with that wire configuration,same with bi amping.
    Physically they can.Bi wiring them(Mantis or BOB call it what you will)makes them sound better......can I say this???yes I can I OWNED THEM AS YOU GUYS DON'T.
    SO why would you bi wire a pair of speakers the technically can be????just because you can???No 2 improve the sound quality.I can't speak for the guy who claims that bi amping them(Mantis or BOB)makes a difference,but it is a physical thing you can do and if you haven't tried it then you should stop pushing WHATS CORRECT AND WHATS NOT CORRECT.The goal again is better HI FI is it not?Can you agree with better sound quality is worth going against whats correct and what's incorrect?My only point.Not if it's Mantis bi wiring/BOB bi amping......the goal in mind.......;)
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • erik4
    erik4 Posts: 29
    edited November 2002
    Mantis:
    I own a pair of 2000i's. I have them hooked up (for lack of better term) with two outputs each from a quality amp-Sunfire Theatre Grand. They sound better - really noticeably better- with this connection. Why is this? It's not just me...The proof is in the listening. If you don't have a pair yourself-don't tell me otherwise. Also, you'd think Polk would correct their website.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited November 2002
    lol....this is funny.....but i still dont even get what bi-wiring is or bi-amping.....and speaking of websites....u seen infinity's? they have a piece of junk website, a common everyday person can make one better.....lol....so can someone explain to me this bi-wiring and bi-amping stuff?
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • gidrah
    edited November 2002
    erik4: the sub portion is now being driven by a better amp when you hook it up to the Sunfire.
  • erik4
    edited November 2002
    gidrah:
    According to what I "learned" in this thread the bottom posts are high level inputs. So I'm not sure I'm driving the "sub portion" or replacing or even augmenting the built-in sub amp. All I know is they sound better hooked up this way.
  • gidrah
    edited November 2002
    In the end that's is what really matters.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    and so it is...

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited November 2002
    while all dogs will go to heaven, some of the lost souls may not, damm if you do, and damm if you don't, this post now is officially closed.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2002
    this post now is officially closed

Be carefull! Only MICAH has this kind of power! You are libable to find your posts forwarded to net purgatory.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited November 2002
    ERIK4,
    this is what we are talking about.beter sound quality.The bottom posts are speaker level for the sub,the top posts are for the midrange driver and tweeter.I'm glad to see your improving your sound.These buttholes don't own them so take no stock in what they they.
  • HBombToo
    edited November 2002
    Alll Right NOW.... liv4fam is in a wiley mood today.

This will be fun! ;)

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    Oh, so you own a pair? Why didn't you say so?

Regardless if I own them or not, I can say without a doubt I know that they can't be biwired or biamped. All you need is a basic grasp of what it is and what it isn't. No one has ever said the high level connection isn't better, only that it's not biwiring or biamping.
    These buttholes don't own them so take no stock in what they they.

Well, along that line, you've never owned or even heard the DQ-10's, yet you feel compelled to pass judgement on them.

A bit hypocritical don't you think?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    Troy,

I missed you buddy. I apologize I have been sick for the past couple of days and I have been neglecting you but Dan has been keeping me up to speed.

Sooooooo...............Let's talk about Bi-wiring and Bi-amping since you seem to think that nobody knows about it except for Kenneth.

Well Troy, explain to me how the subwoofer speaker connection is a High Level Connection? ummmmmmmm?

Speaker level to top post and speaker level to bottom post.
    Funny sounds like Bi-wiring to me. Seperation is the key to Bi-wiring and that's exactly what is happening.

I like how I called customer service and you still say I am wrong.

So according to Troy.................You can only talk to Ken at Polk customer service...........and the Polk website is wrong on there specs..................and someone who owns them and Bi-amped them is WRONG too.

Interesting!!

Hey Troy, Since I own powered towers now.

Guess what they are Bi-amped.

The AVR-307 powers the Tweeters and Mid-bass drivers and the internal plate amp powers the subwoofer but yet it get's the signal from the speaker level connection.

I love you Troy.

Can we be friends?

I really would like to invite you over to my house so we can talk.

Come on...
  • HBombToo
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by liv4fam

I love you Troy.

I really would like to invite you over to my house so we can talk.

Come on...

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just imagine...

A nice candle lit dinner, some Vino and mucho wire for many wims perhaps?:eek:

:lol::lol:
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited November 2002
    one heck of the way to confess your feelings...wow...love me love my dog
  • erik4
    edited November 2002
    Speaking of candle lit places...When the room is dark, don't those little green lights on the 2000i's cause one to zero in directly on the speaker getting in the way of the mind to fully sensualize the breadth and depth of the sound they produce. I was OK with this until I read someones post about it. Now, I can't stop thinking about it. Why in the heck did Polk use this gimmick? I don't need to know when the speaker is on. It's electrical tape for me too.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Well, frankly, I'm done with this. You can't biwire the RT1000 or 2000's. I know why and I (and others) have explained why. Now, to be honest, I'm tired of talking about it. If you don't agree, well, than fine, I'm not losing a lot of sleep at night.

As for the rest of, I am sort of amused at how I inspire such a reaction in some folks. I'm actually sort of baffled. I do think it's sort of immature that a disagreement has to always degenerate into a 'my dick is bigger than yours' contest.

How's about we knock of the crap, shall we? If we disagree, we need not turn this into a personal thing with threatening overtones.

BDT
  • erik4
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by TroyD
    I'm not losing a lot of sleep at night.

BDT

Troy:
    I sincerely hope you are not losing any sleep over this. Isn't it all in fun, with a little knowledge sharing sprinkled in.
  • gidrah
    edited November 2002
    "Lastly she took it way out and said that they can not be bi-wired nor Bi-amped."

"The bottom posts are speaker
    level for the sub,the top posts are for the midrange driver and tweeter."

This is what Troy has been saying all along.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    erik,

No worries, there are just some folks that seem want to be disagreeable to be disagreeable without making any sense. That kind of nonsense, I just don't get all wrapped around the axle over.

BDT
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited November 2002
    Troyd,
    ok we all said our peace.So whats the best way to run them?

1.a 4 conductor wire no jumpers
    2.a 2 conductor wire with jumpers
    3.a 2 conductor wire with no jumpers and line level
    4.a 2 conductor wire with no jumpers and LFE line level.

Your tired of it,I'm tired of it.Lets give everyone the best possible way 2 wire them.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    I think that's a question best answered individually, no?

I would think in that case, it's a matter of opinion and personal preference. I generally try not to make blanket statements like that.

BDT
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    All right.

Enough is enough with this post.

It's unfortunate that all the people that come to this forum to seek advice have to be confused from all the nonsense that everyone talks in here.

So here it is and let's all agree on this statement.

I called KEN today and talked to him for awhile and this was his conclusion.

He said that the POLK speakers (not other companies) can not be Bi-wired or Bi-amped because of there configuaration and went on to say that only passive speaker configurations like the LSI15's can be. But when I asked him what is recommended for hook-up he said that using a four conductor cable to the top and bottom posts does present a better overall sound.

Oh and Troy........I like how you stole his 2WD to 4WD analogy.:lol:

Well I can say that after that conversation he gave me no real explanation as to why they aren't Bi-wirable or Bi-amplable but told me straight that they are Bi-wirable but not.

Kind of confusing huh?

That's pretty much what I got out of it. Either they are or there not.

Which one is it?

So here is my final though on this subject.

We all want better sound right?

In my opinion powered towers are already Bi-amped by definition!

Any speaker design that seperates the drivers on different post to obtain a seperate signal path by definition is Bi-wirable!

Bi-amping a powered tower without question is possible and will yield better sound due to the fact that the seperate amplifier driving the powered subwoofer is getting a cleaner and purer signal to the amplifier of the subwoofer even though it's not using any of the current of the amplifier!

It may not be right in your guys eyes because Polk says so but in the real world it is possible and has favorable results and just like the receiver with outboard amplification it can be done and can have positive results but personally I don't care for it but it works so maybe we can agree on that.:D
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    It's unfortunate that all the people that come to this forum to seek advice have to be confused from all the nonsense that everyone talks in here

Well, shoot, in this case, it would appear that you and Dan were the source of most of the confusion and nonsense on this issue.

But when I asked him what is recommended for hook-up he said that using a four conductor cable to the top and bottom posts does present a better overall sound

I've never said it was or wasn't. That wasn't the point.
    Oh and Troy........I like how you stole his 2WD to 4WD analogy

I've never spoken to Ken in person, nor to my knowledge did he ever post that anywhere so I didn't steal it from him.
    In my opinion powered towers are already Bi-amped by definition

I posted that some time ago.
    We all want better sound right?

I don't think anyone has ever said anything to the contrary
    Well I can say that after that conversation he gave me no real explanation as to why they aren't Bi-wirable or Bi-amplable but told me straight that they are Bi-wirable but not.

Kind of confusing huh?

Not really. It means you can connect a biwire cable, but it's not biwired. Not all that difficult if you understand the premise.

It may not be right in your guys eyes because Polk says so

No, because in order to biwire, there has to be a crossover with a set of posts corresponding to a crossover point. and you have to power each one either with a biwire, biamp scheme or a traditional setup with a jumper between the posts. In our instance with the RT1000's and 2000's, there is no crossover between the two posts. I sort of envision it as an RT35i attached to a PSW250. You can hook it up either LFE or line level through the sub but you can't biwire it or biamp it.

Maybe that will shed some light on the subject. I would suggest anyone that is interested, do some research on how a crossover works and so forth. There is a lot of stuff out there on other sites.

BDT
  • HBombToo
    edited November 2002
    yup

I Agree.

Rooster 2
    ***WAREMTAE***