rt 2001's - biamped (oh no)

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    TroyD,
    I really think you have a burning desire to own a pair.I think that is a good thing.Get em will yeah.........

You also need to define what the powered tower owners are in fact doing when there running bi wires to run there speakers.
    (you can exclude me as I don't own them anymore but I bi wired them at my uncles house....LOLOL....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

And then give a name/term for the bi amping thing( which I 'm not a big fan of nor would I try it but...).

Like I said terms are terms..I say name it already......you love to talk about this,thats why you do.I know it.:lol:

I love reading your posts on this matter.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    Dan,

I've heard 'em and can say without hesitation that I will never own a pair of powered towers.

I don't have to define anything. It's merely using a high level input. That's all.

Like I said, if you don't have a basic understanding of what biamp/biwire means, not much more I can say.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    But you like saying it....and I like reading it......

Your not going to give it some kind of BDT term???man I was hoping for that....o well......maybe next round.
    Dan
  • erik4
    erik4 Posts: 29
    edited November 2002
    Let me summarize this thread so it can end...after all I started it:
    1. Although cosmetically it looks like you can bi-amp 2000i's, you can't.
    2. The internal configuration won't allow it.
    3. You can connect a second amplifier to the bottom posts, but you are not biamping when you do so.
    4. It has not been determined (or studied) by the participants of this board that doing this act of connecting a second source to the bottom posts does anything.
    5. All claims that this improves the speakers sound are here-say.
    6. If you want to "biamp", get different speakers.
    7. TroyD is somebody.
    8. If you want to wire your speakers to the moon and back, go for it.
    9. TroyD refuses to put a name to the wiring process erik4 was asking about. He only says what it is not.
    10. Individual users ears are all different.
    How's That! Whoops I opened the door for more comment....
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    It's a high level connection, period. If you guys want a name, lets call it 'Bob', hows that?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    I was thinking Shemp.... :)

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Can we say amen or what?
    Dan
  • erik4
    erik4 Posts: 29
    edited November 2002
    TroyD and all other Doubters:
    Below are specs from the Polk web site on the 2000i's and their ability to be bi-amped. I should have looked earlier. You guys are full of it...or the Polk web site is incorrect...Make my point!

Electrical
    Overall Frequency Response 20Hz - 26kHz
    Lower -3dB Limit 32Hz
    Upper -3dB Limit 25kHz
    Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
    Recommended Amplifier Power 30 - 300 w/channel
    Efficiency 90 dB
    Inputs Dual (bi-ampable) gold-plated 5-way binding post

inputs,Low level (RCA type) subwoofer inputs
    Outputs Line level subwoofer output jack on built-in amplifier

Dimensions
    Cabinet Size 45-1/2" H x 9-1/2" W x 16-3/4" D
    (115.57cm H x 24.13cm W x 42.55cm D)
    Footprint Size 11" W x 18-1/2" D
    (27.94cm W x 46.99cm D)
    Enclosure Type
    (mid-high array) Sealed
    Enclosure Type
    (subwoofer) Vented, Power Port
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2002
    The web site is wrong on the specs, the manual is correct. I believe this was mentioned to Polk before, but obviously not updated. No wonder there is so much confusion.

Just give Polk Customer Service a call, and ask them, you don't have to believe the 'doubters'. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Man now Polk even puts false things on there web site.

It seems like everyone knows what it's not but not what it is......and it goes on and on.........
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2002
    Dan, you have told me yourself over aim that you agree they cannot be biwired, or biamped. Don't play dumb, 'deside' which side of the fence you are on with the topic, the correct version, or Dan's version. ;)

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Man,
    I don't even think it matters.I'm not into terms anyways,labels,hell there are guys in here that call 2 channel Home Theater.......well if you like it thats all that matters.

This debate is pointless.I will go as far as saying that it's MANTIS BI WIRING.......and MANTIS BI AMPING. There now it has a name......SO......for now on I will refer to powered tower owner's questions on these matter in MY OWN TERMS.

SO for all you powered tower owners with your 4 amps and bi wire cables.............you now fit in.......ENTER MANTIS THEORY.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2002
    No, didn't we decide to call it 'Bob'?

I know you know better, that's what kills me.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    BOB????If thats what you wanna call it...thats cool but I was loving the MANTIS THEORY.

Knowing better or sounding better......I'll take sounding better.

I'm so cool with Bi wiring and bi amping.

I do think Polk made a mistake by putting dual binding posts on there powered towers.Funny how Def Tech( on there lower towers) and Boston does not........sounds like a design flaw.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Def Tech went way out there and made there high end speakers tri wireable.........power towers and all.......go figure.:lol:
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    Def Tech went way out there and made there high end speakers tri wireable

So did KEF I noticed, where can you buy THAT cable? ;)

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Lets see.....Monster custom order.I don't know who else would make them, but I bet any of the cable companies would make em at the right price.

Kef's center chanel is mean...it sounds real nice.Tri wired and all.
    Dan
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited November 2002
    :cool: I'm Back.......

What's up fellas?

I just love the whole Bi-amping and Bi-wiring conversations. Well

here is my 25 cents ;)

How are the connections on the 2000's a High Level Connection?
    Funny how if you remove the jumpers the subwoofer will go off if nothing is connected to it. Doesn't that make it a low level connection as well?

Secondly, We called Polk customer service (just for giggles) and man that was an interesting conversation. We got some lady over there at POLK that was rambling out comments that I don't even think she knew what she saying.
    I was shocked that when we asked her about how we should wire the 2000's she said run a 2 conducter cable to the speakers and leave the jumpers in (because they sound good?) and send a line level signal to the pre-in for the sub. She said that was the best setup for them overall.

Well I have to disagree with the her. What about music listening? Some people might like that setup for HT but for music come on. The crossover in the speaker is set right for the cabinet and drivers why send it a low level signal and get double filtering. That's really silly.

Lastly she took it way out and said that they can not be bi-wired nor Bi-amped. I almost fell out of my chair when she said that.

I was thinking why not?

But then she said they could be Bi-wired but not a true Bi-wire???
    Hmmmmmmmmmm.........Well let's see if the tweeter is on the top post and the mid-bass driver is on the bottom that's Bi-wirable.
    And if the tweeter is on the top post and the mid-bass driver and the bass driver are the bottom post that's Bi-wirable.
    Right? Right?

So she says they cannot be Biamped. I beg to differ.
    The subwoofer has to receive it's signal from either the speaker post or the line level signal right? So if you put a seperate power amp to the bottom post so what!!!!All it will do is extract the signal and that's it because it has it's own amplifier.
    It will do no harm but you won't gain anything either.

So when we asked her why they even put bottom speaker terminals on she said because the engineers just designed it that way.

Good answer.

If it has no use (according to them) why put it on?

She didn't sound real convincing on the subject and I have thought about it a lot lately and I don't agree with customer service telling people that kind of information about speakers because she just wasn't talking about Polk speakers she said any speaker that has dual posts and is powered is not B-wirable nor Bi-ampleable which is false.

Just my opinion.

:)
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Call Ken Swauger, ask him for an explanation.

As far as the purpose of the second set of binding posts, how would you propose that they offer the speaker level connection option?

Also, if you believe you can biamp them, let me pose this question: If you use a high level connection with a standard powered sub, is that biamping it? No, it isn't. It's the same premise with a powered tower.

BDT
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2002
    Probably wouldn't believe him either.

They are as bi-ampable as any pair of speakers with one set of connectors sitting atop a pair of subs with one set connectors. I'd be willing to bet that each speaker has 2 separate crossovers inside.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2002
    All that typing , and you guys STILL don't get it.

Amazing. ;)

Troy, please just refer them to Polk cs, like Ken should waste his time with absolute nonsense (as far as this topic goes)

Cheers,
    Rooster

TD and TD, I guess that was an accurate comment. . .
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    OK,
    why not just put just one pair of speaker level binding posts and a line level input.....does that make 2 much sense????Can anyone comment without saying call customer service???Can anyone speak for themselves???

Gee......someone give it a try already.....explain your stand on this topic.....
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    let's check again...2 examples of what the hell I'm talking about......Boston acoustic's 975's powered towers.one set of binding posts and look here a line level input for the sub..how nice...there is no way to bi amp it or bi wire it......end of story................gee look at the Def Tech 2004's same exact thing....one pair of binding posts and one line level in........how wonderfull........no bi amping or bi wiring to even talk about.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    let's check again...2 examples of what the hell I'm talking about......Boston acoustic's 975's powered towers.one set of binding posts and look here a line level input for the sub..how nice...there is no way to bi amp it or bi wire it......end of story................gee look at the Def Tech 2004's same exact thing....one pair of binding posts and one line level in........how wonderfull........no bi amping or bi wiring to even talk about.

Gee, Boston what? Has nothing to do with the Polk wiring scheme.

Big bag of nothing, try again, call Polk CS, like your buddy did.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    has something to do with it..powered towers with how many sets of binding posts????and why are they there???you CAN'T do what?????
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    hows that look?
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2002
    Big bag Dan, if you only knew. . .

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    well If I don't know would you be so kind to fill me in??????
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    So answer me this.......I could care less about correct and incorrect for a minute but why is there 2 sets of binding posts on these speakers???Why man Why....tell me why there there.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    so you can use the speaker level connection as opposed to just LFE. sheeeeeeeeeeesh. put your thinking cap on for just a minute.

As far as calling customer service, Aaron, Russ, myself and others have patiently tried to explain this SEVERAL times using small words (get your search on). The concept STILL seems to escape some folks so I would suggest calling Ken Swauger, who has probably forgotten more about audio than most of us will ever know, maybe he can explain it to you in a way that you two can understand.

Who was the cs rep that you two spoke with?

BDT