Options
13»

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2006
    Options
    scottvamp wrote:
    I live a good life because i work my tail off. Don't talk about something you have no ideal about. Great, you own your own bussiness and sit at a desk all day. That has nothing to do with people busting thier a$$ on corporate driven OT.
    I will start my multi-million dollar business tomorrow.:rolleyes:

I owned my own business and "sitting at a desk all day" was never ever an option. Owning your own business can be (doesn't always have to be) an 18 hour a day proposition. I think you need to refrain from talking about running a business when you have no experience doing it. . . do you?

If you wanted to start your own multi-million dollar business tomorrow, I must tell you that most businesses on start up are in the red the first 3 to 5 years of existance.
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    Options
    scottvamp wrote:
    Az is a right to work state. The state does not even allow for breaks.
    I hope to own a small business one day. At least you have some control. If your neglecting your family and putting in a 100 hours a week and not growing your business at a large rate, you got bigger problems.
    I just hate to see people blind to corporate america's work force. The large business will do anything to turn a larger profit. That is why the big three auto makers are chocking right now. Without a happy quality driven work force you put out junk.
    I work on planes you and your family fly on and our management does not care about experienced people - a warm body is a warm body. As long as they get a bonus every qaurter thier happy. Let me tell ya, not good.

I don't like living in Philadelphia or Pennsylvania I'm moving to Delaware. Getting to this point to be able to do this wasn't easy and still isn't but if you don't like your circumstances YOU can always change them.:) That is one of the great things about this country.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I feel for workers being treated poorly. Our shop has a division that cleans air ducts. Unskilled labor. The turn over rate is very high. We give all our full time emploies medical beifits, paid vacation, and 401k w/ 3% of your gross contibuted by the company even if you don't contribute. If we get a good guy, we will help him when he needs it.

Guys get lost in a large company.The auto industry in this country is a mess. The workers go on strike all the time and the industry wants to keep cost as low as possible. Niether side has done anything to end the rift between them.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    Options
    MSALLA wrote:
    I feel for workers being treated poorly. Our shop has a division that cleans air ducts. Unskilled labor. The turn over rate is very high. We give all our full time emploies medical beifits, paid vacation, and 401k w/ 3% of your gross contibuted by the company even if you don't contribute. If we get a good guy, we will help him when he needs it.

Guys get lost in a large company.The auto industry in this country is a mess. The workers go on strike all the time and the industry wants to keep cost as low as possible. Niether side has done anything to end the rift between them.

Don't you just love the entitlement stance that unions take???

Honest work gets honest pay. If people aren't happy where they are it is their fault because they can always go somewhere else. I know people who after working for 15 years decided that they were in the wrong business or wrong company and started over again to get to where they were happy.

My father was a school teacher. When I was 17 he was offered a postion in the administration of the school district making four times more money a year. Now, with a wife and four kids HE TURNED IT DOWN!!! When I asked him why he did that he said, that when he wakes up for work every day he can't wait to get there because he loves his job. He also asked me if I ever noticed that he was always in a good mood. He also told me that the position he currently had made enough money to support and keep his growing family the way he had intended. He also informed me that if he took the job that paid four times more money, he would have been miserable getting up for work each day, and that that miserable feeling would spill over into his personal life.

I never forgot that story and passed it on to my older son and am teaching my younger son the same lesson.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I don't like living in Philadelphia or Pennsylvania I'm moving to Delaware. Getting to this point to be able to do this wasn't easy and still isn't but if you don't like your circumstances YOU can always change them.:) That is one of the great things about this country.

Buddy, come on. It's not the ritz, but it's home.:D
    I'm not that old, but i've traveled and I miss the area when I'm gone. This city still has the best sandwiches in the world.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2006
    Options
    MSALLA wrote:
    Buddy, come on. It's not the ritz, but it's home.:D
    I'm not that old, but i've traveled and I miss the area when I'm gone. This city still has the best sandwiches in the world.

The food is great, (I have a big belly to prove it), I wouldn't mind living in Drexel Hill except for the taxes and traffic. I've lived in the city and out of it ((Cherry Hill NJ, Delaware (Media) County, Chester (Malvern/Frazer) County, Montgomery (KOP) County, Harleysville etc)) and I would rather live outside the city.

I'm moving to Newark Delware which is only 35 minutes from South Philly so I will be coming and going to Philly. I just can't stand living in this city. I don't feel as strongly as George Grand feels about it but I can pretty much tell you in all honesty, I don't like living here at all.

How about some numbers:

Real Estate Taxes: Newark $898 per year; Delaware County: $4k to $8k per year; New Jersey: $5k to $9k per year.

Auto insurance; my and my wife combined, minimum liability:

Philly: $1700 per year, no accidents or moving violations on record; Newark: Auto insurance; double minimum liability includes large home owners insurance: $1300 per year.

Sales tax: Philly = 7%, Newark = zero, nadda, ugats %

Electric Bill Philly: no discount for full electric home;
    Electric Bill Delaware: 50% off rates for the six months of Fall & Winter for full electric house.

Water & sewar bill; I don't remember the exact figures but Newark is 40% less money

I could go on and on. But the main thing I want to tell you is $1.00 is worth a hell of a lot more in Newark than in Philly.

Do I love this area, absolutely, I grew up here and am die hard Philadelphia sports fan but I just don't want to live in the city anymore.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I am working on moving north but moving is not that simple for me. I am not happy go lucky. I am used to being grounded. Working on 14 years at my current job in a small town. I agree with Ron and i don't even have a family - lifes to short to waste away working apart from your loved ones...........
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,175
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I like overtime.

But I dont milk hours... a busy day is a good day... means lots of sales, lots of orders placed, lots of product to put on the floor... good stuff.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,527
    edited November 2006
    Options
    That's pretty good...

But the year after next, I get to be an MD resident.

And we work 85 hour weeks.....

... the WHOLE ENTIRE EFFING YEAR!!

Dude... it's going to suck to be me... for 3 years atleast. :(

Joey
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I can't wait until I retire and I'm only 40. I'm getting tired in my old age