Speakers not working at high volume.

Options
bchiu
bchiu Posts: 6
edited November 2006 in Troubleshooting
Hi.

I just hooked up my speaker system. -- Polk RM6800 with a Onkyo 674 receiver.

Whenever I turn the volume up to a loud setting, the sound starts to go on and off. I hooked all of the speakers using 14 gauge speaker cable and rechecked the connections and they were fine.

Someone mentioned that the amp is going into protect mode.... ? Not really sure why it's doing that as I was not really cranking it up enough to shake the house or anything...

Is it the speakers, the wiring, or the amp? Any suggestion is appreciated.:confused:
Post edited by bchiu on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Clipping is your word for today.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2006
    Options
    ummm... yeah clipping is when your receiver runs out of steam basically. it'll cut in and out or go into protect mode.. and shut itself down like a Terminator. ha ha ha

sorry. i know it's not funny. but you either need a different receiver or if your Onkyo has pre outs on the rear of it.. then you need an external amp.

Next ? here it comes.. wait for it...

wait..

keep waiting..

ok. long enough. Next ?, what's the best amp?

you can seach for lots of threads started on this exact topic. This receiver shutting down is a common ? asked around here.

Oh yeah.. welcome to Club Polk bchiu, where are ya from?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Danger Boy is just to funny, hope you get the issues worked out with ya AVR bchiu. Look into a nice Denon or a Sony. I'm in the market for one of those makes myself.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Welcome Bchiu!!! +1 on what DB said. or if you have to get a new receiver, make sure it has preouts in the back so that you can add a separate amp!!!!

Sherardp wrote:
    Danger Boy is just to funny, hope you get the issues worked out with ya AVR bchiu. Look into a nice Denon or a Sony. I'm in the market for one of those makes myself.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Make certain all your satellite channels are set to small in the receiver setup. Those little 3 1/4 inch drivers can't handle any bass.

The Onkyo shouldn't be clipping if you set them to small with the crossover no lower than 80hz. 120hz would even be better for those small sats.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • bchiu
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I'll give it a try again tomorrow. (Little one is sleeping now) .. lol.. so can't crank u the volume. Thanks for the help!
  • bchiu
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Thanks. I think that did the trick. BUT now it seems like that the bass is no longer going to either the small satellites OR the subwoofer (either that or the Polk Subwoofer that came with the RM 6800 is really weak).

I read on the RM6800 instructions that it is best to set the wiring of the Subwoofer to "None" and the Front Speakers to "Large", but this is creating the clipping problem. (I am wiring the Front speakers to the subwoofer and then the subwoofer to the receiver)

I guess I could wire the front speakers directly to the receiver and connect the subwoofer through a cable. BUT, for some strange reason, the Polk Subwolfer has a Red/White Audio hole while my Onkyo SR674 receiver has only a single hole for the subwoofer (its actually labeled Pre-Out and below that says subwoofer).

Is there even a cable out there that has two audio holes and transforms them into one??? Should I wire it differently?

Sorry for the long email. I never knew setting this up would be sooo hard.

Make certain all your satellite channels are set to small in the receiver setup. Those little 3 1/4 inch drivers can't handle any bass.

The Onkyo shouldn't be clipping if you set them to small with the crossover no lower than 80hz. 120hz would even be better for those small sats.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited November 2006
    Options
    One cable is sufficent for the sub hookup. Use the left input on the sub. This uses the LFE output for your sub on digital tracks.

This setting allows you to taylor the sub/sat crossover for your left and right speakers with your receiver, and I would set it from 80hz to 120hz. If you have a choice in your subwoofer settings on your Onkyo to set your sub for LFE + L/R, use that setting. This will send bass to your sub from 2 channel CD sources, FM radio, etc. that doesn't have digital coding for the LFE track.

Hope this helps.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • bchiu
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Just thought I would close the thread. Speaker system is finally up and running well at high volume.

I ended up wiring the front speakers directly to the receiver. Then separately connected the subwolfer with a subwolfer cable to the Pre-out/Subwolfer slot in the receiver. I also adjusted the front speakers to 100hz. I am getting better performance on the subwolfer and everything works perfectly.

I am not sure why Polk recommended wiring the front speakers to the subwolfer and then from the subwolfer to the receiver as I am pretty sure that is what caused the clipping.

Just want to say thanks again.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2006
    Options
    cool. kick back and enjoy.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Glad you're up and running. However, "I also adjusted the front speakers to 100hz." solved your clipping issue, not the sub connection.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited November 2006
    Options
    bchiu wrote:

I am not sure why Polk recommended wiring the front speakers to the subwolfer and then from the subwolfer to the receiver as I am pretty sure that is what caused the clipping.

Just want to say thanks again.
    Polk recommended this? That sounds insane.