RT 55 Blown Tweeter & What else???

Options
mrvespa
mrvespa Posts: 3
edited November 2006 in Troubleshooting
Greetings,

I just picked up a super clean set of RT 55's with a center sub & a Thrift store for $50.00. I had a feeling something might be wrong with them at that price but bought them anyway. Sure enough, one of the main RT 55's has a blown tweeter for sure & it looks like I can get a replacement through Polk. My question is, as I'm trouble shooting & before I send for the new part, is there anything more I should be looking for that may be wrong , ie bad crossovers etc? I'd rather fix it right the first time. Thanks.

One other thing while I have your attention, I'm using a Harmon Kardon AVR 120 Amp. I've never had a center speaker hooked up. I can't get it to select and drive all three speakers at once. It's either the two bookshelves or the center, but never all three. I have them wired correctly. Any suggestions?

Appreciate you all being here. thanks in advance for your help.

TW
Post edited by mrvespa on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2006
    Options
    take out the offending tweeter from the RT55 and hook that up to the reciever by itself. if it plays normal (only the highs mind you, it is just a tweeter) then it might be the crossover, if it sounds blown, then the tweet is the problem. do that test at low volume by the way.

to confirm the crossover is good, you can swap the tweets and see if the problem follows the suspecting tweeter, or stays with the offending speaker

follows tweeter = tweeter blown
    same speaker sounds wrong = probably crossover

those RT55's are worth the effort, trust me.

as far as the reciever, make sure you are playing a dolby digital source, through the digital ouput of the device, to a digital input of the reciever. make sure that input is configured for multichannel (check the directions, I had this problem with the yamaha 5240.)

it should indicate on the reciever that it is in fact a dolby digital or dtx source, which should automatically open all the channels. even kicking on dolby pro logic should do it on a 2 channel source.

read the directions, I've been in audio for a while and I still find those recievers confusing as hell.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • mrvespa
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Appreciate the quick response! I'll give your directions a try. Thanks again.

TW :)
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2006
    Options
    no prob, keep us posted. definitly want to see a pair of rt55's stay in active rotation :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • mrvespa
    edited November 2006
    Options
    ohskigod,

Thank godness I took the time to do a bit more trouble shooting. Switched tweets as you suggested and it was fine...so I decided to test 'good' rt on the other channel and sure enough, it was the stinking Harmon Kardon, not the speaker at all! So I guess I really did get a smoking deal at the thrift store, the RT's are hooked up to a new amp and they sound and LOOK great. Again, thanks for your help.