FS: Kavent CD-731 Tube CDP

Options
halo
halo Posts: 5,616
edited November 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Same player as the Sheng Ya CD-S10. Original double box, manual, IC's, PC, metal remote, and Kavent brochure included - I even have the little plastic covers for the RCA jacks.

It takes two tubes - 12AU7 is for the power supply (window / front tube) and the 6DJ8 (rear) is the output tube. I just installed one JJ 12AU7 and a JJ 6DJ8 (the other matched JJ 6DJ8, (1) JAN Philips 6922 (green label), and a 12AU7 RCA are also included).

$OLD to jhermance.

Specs:

Output Voltage.............................2 V
Frequency Response......................5Hz-40kHz (±1dB)
Dynamic Range.............................107 dB
THD............................................< 0.002%
S/N Ratio.....................................103 dB
Dimension (WDH)...........................17" x 13" x 4"
Weight........................................17 lbs

Philip VAM1202 servo system. Burr-Brown D/A converter PCM1732. 24Bit/96KHz upsampling. HDCD decoding. Compatible with CD-R. Philip 6DJ8/6922 vacuum tube Class-A circuitry. Separate power supply sections for analogue and digital circuits. Precision clock. 3rd-order GIP filter. Coaxial digital output. RCA analogue output. Remote controllable output volume (can be used without a preamplifier). SOLEN capacitors, metallic remote control, 3 position LED dimmer, dimable / defeatable display, and more...

Plenty of reviews on this player around here (this is just three of them):
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
Post edited by halo on

Comments

• fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Hey, what are you up to :p

-fredv-
  • halo
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I'm selling a CDP. :p
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Buy with Victor with confidence. This is a fantastic player, I have the Sheng Ya with is a clone of the Kavent. I can't say enough good things about it. This is a no brainier for those of you looking for a tube CDP. Go for it Polkies!
    Carl

• halo
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Price reduced: $OLD to jhermance.
  • schwarcw
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Damn! It was a great price at $700, this is an insane price. If you are looking to get into a good tube CDP. look no further this is the bomb!

Carl
    Carl

• univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Someone drop some knowledge on me. I don't know shite about this unit. How does it compare to the Jolida?
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • halo
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Did you read the reviews? Type in Sheng Ya or Kavent into the search function.
  • schwarcw
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Several users on this Forum stated that the Sheng Ya or Kavent compared very favorably to the Jolida. I have one and I would highly recommend it.

Carl
    Carl

• univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited September 2006
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    Several users on this Forum stated that the Sheng Ya or Kavent compared very favorably to the Jolida. I have one and I would highly recommend it.

Carl

Carl, thanks for the input. I believe I read your thread about the player. To be quite frank, I should be taking baby steps into tube land. I haven't even received my Anthem's yet. It seems that everyone who gets into tubes wants more. Since I don't know squat about the various tubes, I am concerned that getting 3 new pieces of tube equip might be a lot to worry about in terms of rolling and figuring things out. I want to just settle in with my stuff and not tinker. I am looking to be swayed, however....Plus, I don't know how things will work together. I have heard it said the Anthem setup doesn't sound "tubey." I like the speed of SS and don't know how the tube CD affects that or if that is strictly a component of the amps. Oh, and I just realized it is $100.00 more than I thought...
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • schwarcw
    edited September 2006
    Options
    univera wrote:
    Carl, thanks for the input. I believe I read your thread about the player. To be quite frank, I should be taking baby steps into tube land. I haven't even received my Anthem's yet. It seems that everyone who gets into tubes wants more. Since I don't know squat about the various tubes, I am concerned that getting 3 new pieces of tube equip might be a lot to worry about in terms of rolling and figuring things out. I want to just settle in with my stuff and not tinker. I am looking to be swayed, however....Plus, I don't know how things will work together. I have heard it said the Anthem setup doesn't sound "tubey." I like the speed of SS and don't know how the tube CD affects that or if that is strictly a component of the amps. Oh, and I just realized it is $100.00 more than I thought...

Good luck with your new amp. I agree that changing too many components at once won't allow you to experience the sonic nature of each unit. Take your time, one piece at a time. The Kavent and Sheng Ya are great tube units. Since they only have two tubes, rolling is quite economical. Good luck and let us know how you like the Anthem, which is a great unit!

Carl
    Carl

• jhermance
    jhermance Posts: 214
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Pm sent
    Samsung UN46C7000
    Cambridge Audio 640R
    Sony BDP-S570
    Magnepan MMG's
    Totem Dreamcatcher Center
    Eleganza™ Bella 1200 High Performance Subwoofer
    Polk R15 Surrounds
    Audioquest Cables
    Panamax 5510-PRO AC Regenerator
    Monster Cable HTS 2500 MKII power cleaner
    Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnects
  • halo
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Sale pending
  • schwarcw
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Good for you jhermance! I got a Sheng Ya from Victor and it was the bomb! He's a great guy to do business with. I can't wait to buy his new Sheng Ya:D

Carl
    Carl

• halo
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Shipped out today via FedEx.

Enjoy it Jeff!
    schwarcw wrote:
    I can't wait to buy his new Sheng Ya:D
    Not gonna happen Carl... (not unless I win the lottery or something) ;)
  • jhermance
    jhermance Posts: 214
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Got it today everything in great shape. So far so good a big step up from the pioneer elite dv-45a. Thanks for giving me the time and opportunity to do business with you. It is greatly appreciated.
    Samsung UN46C7000
    Cambridge Audio 640R
    Sony BDP-S570
    Magnepan MMG's
    Totem Dreamcatcher Center
    Eleganza™ Bella 1200 High Performance Subwoofer
    Polk R15 Surrounds
    Audioquest Cables
    Panamax 5510-PRO AC Regenerator
    Monster Cable HTS 2500 MKII power cleaner
    Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnects
  • halo
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Glad to hear that your happy with it Jeff. Any questions don't hesitate to ask. :)
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited November 2006
    Options
    jhermance wrote:
    Got it today everything in great shape. So far so good a big step up from the pioneer elite dv-45a. Thanks for giving me the time and opportunity to do business with you. It is greatly appreciated.

Question for you. I'm looking to eventually upgrade my Onkyo universal cd/dvd player to something warmer sounding and wanted to know your impressions of this tube cdp. Thanks, Ern Doggie
  • BSUfbfan
    BSUfbfan Posts: 201
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I have it's brother the Sheng-Ya CD-S10, and it really smoothed out the sound of my solid state electronics. I very highly recommend this player.
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • schwarcw
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Congrats Jeff! I hope you like it as much as I like my Sheng Ya.

Victor is a great guy to do business with!:)
    Carl

• halo
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Mike, Carl, Jeff, Noel, and I all now own the Sheng Ya / Kavent family of players. So far everyone seems pleased so I guess the Chinese are doing something right :)

What are all of you using for tubes?

12AX7 or 12AU7 for the PS? What brand?

6DJ8, 6922, or 7308 for the output? What brand?

Thanks in advance :)

BTW - I'm using (2 - Output) NOS Mullard 6DJ8, (1 - PS) Mullard 12AX7, & (1 - HPO) Mullard 12AU7 in mine. Mine is the newer version.
  • BSUfbfan
    BSUfbfan Posts: 201
    edited November 2006
    Options
    How ya been Victor?

If you get the "itch", I would love to see a digital photo of the guts of that new player you have. I'm interested to see what changes they have made inside.

I am currently stuck on a Cleartop 12AU7, and a Matsushita 6DJ8. The thing sounds so good I haven't done much rolling lately, and probably won't until I get all of my vintage speakers updated on the crossover side.

Mike
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • halo
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Stock photos:

front.jpg

showpic.jpg

I'll try to snap some of my own later on :)