RM6700/303 with SONY 985

smazzurco
smazzurco Posts: 4
Brand new to the forum. I'm a first time buyer, just picked up the RM6700 sat system with a 303 sub. hooked it up to a Sony STR-DE985 receiver. The Polk manual says to wire the fronts to the sub, the person I purchased the receiver from said to connect all speakers to the receiver. I like the way it sounds but wondered if there is a reason why the Polk manual suggests otherwise?

Also what should I set the "speaker size" to? If I put the fronts to "Small" the Sony will not allow me to put the surrounds or center at anything other than small. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Post edited by smazzurco on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    The sub/sat systems were designed to be wired up as the Polk manual describes, wire the L/R to the sub then out to the satellites. Set your mains or fronts to Large and the Sub to No or Off. The adjust the crossover to where the manual suggests or where you feel it sounds best. You aren't missing any LFE or any bass by doing it this way. I'd also set the center and rears to small as well.

Certainly, you could hook the speakers up the other way, however the sub/sat system was designed to be hooked up as advertised.

Good luck, welcome, and let us know how things work out!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • smazzurco
    edited November 2002
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll give this a shot and let you know how it sounds. BTW.. Where do you adjust the crossover? Is this done on the receiver? Is it ever referred to by another term?
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    The crossover is on the back of the sub, it establishes the point at which the signal crosses over from the sub to the speakers.

BDT
  • smazzurco
    edited November 2002
    I hooked it up per the manual and noticed a richer bass. I'm not sure if it's possible but the front speakers appear to have fuller sound as well. in any case I am thrilled with the sound. thanks for the advice.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    no worries! Enjoy your rig and hang around!

Troy