13»

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,103
    edited October 2006
    Options
    :)

No where! muahahhhahahahha
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Well... bottom trim is on... bunch of riser/castor block/trim supports are on the bottom for...well...trim support...

But bottom trim is routed...

next thing I am going to do is get the Walnut cut to size... then come home and get my sand on...

But here is some pics, the walnut is not attached - but curious how it would look....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited October 2006
    Options
    You guys are kind of like my R&D crew...

So dont be shy with suggestions.. more Walnut...less Walnut...

Input...

Thanks
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I'm a bit concerned about your internal support.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• VR3
    edited October 2006
    Options
    In what area?
  • disneyjoe7
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Top and bottom sides, doing this will help side force. Then the center top and bottom to help front to back force. Doing this and I think it would stand up better over time, moving it will not put undo stress to it.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• VR3
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Not quite following you there...

Sorry...

Not 100% where you are at within the shelf...
  • disneyjoe7
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Sorry for not being clear but think about the forces on plywood if you placed your body against front edge, or the side edge. As if a friend place his or her butt against an edge of the top shelf.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• VR3
    edited October 2006
    Options
    gotcha...

Excellent point...will have to do some measuring and see what is possible...

Are you making it to the gathering?
  • disneyjoe7
    edited October 2006
    Options
    PF6 oh ya :D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited October 2006
    Options
    You guys are kind of like my R&D crew...

So dont be shy with suggestions.. more Walnut...less Walnut...

Input...

Thanks

Anthony here(I'm at Jesse's on the way to BDT's)

More walnut. The contrast looks good. A couple of thinner pieces on the inside vertical and I'd rabbet a piece to go in the front of the shelves. You are going to trim the top, right?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2006
    Options
    A very substantial looking stand, for sure. Massive!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Lookin' good!

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • VR3
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the comments and the suggestions...

Its nearing completion - I did some rough sanding (60 grit) just to get rid of the clamp condensation, glue, etc... - so when I get back from SC Ill get the Walnut cut to size and routed... attach it... then I guess Ill get the top cut to the correct size - and from there... attach some trim - do some more 60 grit sanding (top, etc) --- then pull out some 120, 240 - then Ill consider some of that there satin clear.

Thanks again for all the suggestions... Im looking into each one of them!
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Don't forget to add some wood posts or something to the bottom to attach the wheels!
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • VR3
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Yeah...

I put about... 7 or 8 3/4" solid oak squares to help reinforce the bond between the trim and the plywood, which will also double as a castor mount...
  • VR3
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Lets see some Walnut!
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hey Trey, do you happen to have a plug cutter. **** a project together is a really secure way to make sure it stays together but you don't want to know you screwed it together by filling your holes with wood putty and then sanding it. If you have a plug cutter, take some of your scraps and use the plug cutter to make plugs to fill in your screw holes, glue the plugs in place, after they set up, cut even with the surface, then sand down to a smooth finish and you will barely be able to tell they were there. Just a thought.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • VR3
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hey Grim,
    Every panel is screwed together actually - just not from the front...

I am using plugs on the Walnut trim (sides) - I secured the front walnut trim from the opposite side of the front within the shelf...

The shelf is riddled with screws - except for on the front panel, the front panel is however attached by screws by other means within the shelf itself...

Yeah Ive probally used around 100 screws if not more so far...
  • VR3
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Even more pics...

Im going to play with placement of more walnut and see how I like it... but Im actually fairly content with the amount on there now - putting it on the sides seemed to really bring it together...
  • VR3
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Rounding the bin...

I attached the top with screws - plugged the holes, then sanded them down...

I was going to glue and nail the top trim on for additional support, but I quickly found my finish nails werent going to penetrate the oak without bending! :eek:

But, its nearing done!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Trey, looking good. I should have chimed in earlier, but WTF is with all the screws? All you need is glue, screws make wood split when stressed.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• disneyjoe7
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Pre drill a hole in the oak for the nail.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited October 2006
    Options
    When properly applied and clamped, glue creates a bond stronger than wood.

I'm curious... for extra support, how about small wooden pegs like those used on real wood floors?
  • VR3
    edited October 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Trey, looking good. I should have chimed in earlier, but WTF is with all the screws? All you need is glue, screws make wood split when stressed.

I do not have that much faith in glue alone, but all the screws were pre-dilled and counter sinked so they weren't paving their way through the wood...

The middle shelf has the most screws in it, when I was putting it together the middle shelf is pretty much all that was holding the two side shelves together and when I had to turn it over - I was kind of worried that they wouldn't hold, so I got over zealous. :eek:

To late for pegs, great idea though...

Never thought to pre-drill for nails... hmmm - may try that...

Thanks for the comments, suggestions...
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Trey, do you have access to a braid nailer or a finish nailer? I'm guessing if you did you would not be trying to nail it by hand huh. Nevermind, dumb question.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • VR3
    edited October 2006
    Options
    A nail gun would be nice...

I like screws over nails - but then again, that dosnt really help me with my trim! haha

But yeah, I got it all sanded down, went to 220 on the sides and 320 on the top - fairly smooth...

Next I need to get some stuff puddied up, and Ill get started clearing!
  • VR3
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I guess its just not me to not have pics..... hahahha
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Looking good, kid.
  • VR3
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Thanks man!