M10 Restoration

Options
djcjdk
djcjdk Posts: 7
edited October 2006 in Troubleshooting
hi there
i am busy restoring my M10s, very old, Polk speakers. i have ordered, and received my new (i think) SL2000 Tweeters from Polk USA, and had a chance to put it in this weekend!!
Now, the new casing is different to the old one, and had to make some adjustments on the speaker box itself( make the hole slightly bigger...)
BIG PROBLEM!!!! because, without taking the mid-range (MW6500) speakers out of the box, it seems that the tapping and hitting( im assuming the shock..) on the box, have done something to the MW6500s. they are SOOOOO hard, and stiff, they dont allow any movement!! WHAT HAVE I DONE, AND HOW DO I FIX THIS!!!! the boxes were not connected (obviously..) but for some reason, when i put the box on its back, and tapped it, the speakers went crazy!!!!! now all four (two per box) are pretty useless,(i hope not anyway!!) its as if the coil isnt in the magnet, but it is SO stiff, that even almost with force, it doesnt want to move!!:confused:

PLEASE TELL ME IT HAS HAPPENED TO SOMEONE ELSE AND SOMEBODY CAN HELP ME!!!!!
Post edited by djcjdk on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2006
    Options
    If the voice coils have become misaligned, the drivers are toast. This is a fairly common issue with older drivers during shipping. Sorry for the bad news.
  • djcjdk
    djcjdk Posts: 7
    edited October 2006
    Options
    can that happen with just a bump or two??? and like i said, without it evem being connected?
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Yes, it could happen with a bump or two. The glue holding the magnets is prone to failure due to age. I believe Polk sells replacements, or after you get a few more posts here, you might post a WTB (want to buy) ad in the flea market area. Sometimes the MW65xx drivers become available on eBay as well. Just make sure the seller knows how to ship them so you don't start a collection of frozen drivers.

Good luck with your restoration project. I hope you have everything operational again real soon.