edited October 2006
    Options
    cool, very cool.

RT1
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Congtratulations, it is great to get a sweet deal.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited October 2006
    Options
    unc2701 wrote:
    Real busy @ work today, so I gotta make it short.... put on "In my time of Dying," Led Zep:

HOLY HELL!!!

I'm gonna need a bigger house.

They do have a "big" sound ,don't they?
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited October 2006
    Options
    OK, I've had some more time with them and this still qualifies as the best $200 I've ever spent. I cleaned them up last night- dude must have been a smoker or hadn't dusted these in years- there was all kinds of crap on the cones and I still haven't gotten all the dust out of the grills. Still no luck on popping out those two dust caps, but I'm trying the vacuum tonight.

Soundstage: Freaking huge! and you get all kinds of weird effects... if you close your eyes and try to point at the right speaker you'll find yourself about three feet too far to the right. Some instruments some like they're litterally hanging from the ceiling right over your head- others sound like they're sitting a few feet behind the speakers. The sweet spot doesn't seem to matter as much- even sitting lined up directly in front of one speaker (but at the usual distance) you still get the same sound... The SDA effect seems to work differently for older rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zep, ZZ top, AC/DC) vs more modern recordings- the old stuff seems mainly to give a broader horizontal dispersion, whereas the newer recordings seem to give a vertical dispersion as well. I'm still experimenting- and at some point I'm gonna have to find a second pair of SDA's and throw down my Quad Dark Side of the Moon.

Range- These probably outdo the LSi25's on the bottom end, but its hard to say in my current setup (the 25's are in a really bad room). I put on Outkast/ speakerboxx/"The way you move" and it hit even the deepest bass effortlessly. Same thing for all of Massive Attack/Mezzanine. I guess I could run Lord of the Rings to see if they can get those 10hz thumps, but the Outkast is already pushing the lowest notes you're going to find on most recordings. The bass is super punchy, too. None of that ported sloppy bass on these. On the top end they're a little harsh- they've got the original metal domes, so I guess I should look at swapping them out for the silk ones. I defintely prefer the ring radiators here.

Volume: So far I've only had them on the Krell 150wpc integrated- it goes to 11 (heh- I love that about it) and anything past 4 is freaking loud. Taking the LSi up to a similiar volume will start to change the quality of the sound quite a bit- they brighten up a bit and quickly get fatiguing. The SDA's hardly seem to change at all- they just get louder.

Anyhow, I'll get pictures up soon- my camera batteries were dead when I went to get them this morning.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited October 2006
    Options
    That sounds awesome.

Congrats again.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited October 2006
    Options
    11 is louder. . .

Sounds like great deal. Very nice review, if I spend a good hour at work everyday, I hope to stumble across a similiar find. Or, I could work for an hour more each day and save up some money for a pair; but that doesn't sound like as much fun as a rare SDA discovery.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Your in for a treat once you get about 300 watts per channel going through them.

Get that ELP inline. Does your integrated have a way to put in a seperate pre???
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Yep - you can set one of the inputs to bypass everything but the power section... but if I'm going there, I'll just hook it to the ELP + Bryston 4b. The first key is for me to get them up to the man room... right now I've got them sitting on an old rug in the garage which is a far from ideal listening room- While it does have a dedicated 20amp plug, all those hard surfaces could easily explain some of that tweeter harshness.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i