RT8 tweeter low output

Options
maddison
maddison Posts: 2
edited October 2006 in Troubleshooting
Hi all, I recently acquired a pair of rt8 mini towers. They sound great.... except one of the tweeters is about 3 db lower in output than the other one. The tweeter works, and sounds great, it's just quieter than the one in the other speaker.

Would this be a crossover issue? and if so, which component would cause this problem?

thanks for any help...

mark
Post edited by maddison on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hello Maddison,
    Welcome to the Forum. The first step is to determine if the problem is tweeter related or crossover related. To do this swap the two tweeters, exchange the right tweeter for the left speaker's tweeter. If the problem follows the tweeter then you know it's the cause. If it remains in the same speaker, then the crossover is the reason. Once you've determined which it is, telephone 1-800-377-7655 for parts ordering information. Make sure to mention you're a Club Polk member for the reduced parts pricing.
    Regards, Ken
  • maddison
    maddison Posts: 2
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Thanks, Ken. It IS the tweeter, I swapped them yesterday after checking the resistors. Strange, in all my experience with speakers (I'm a recording engineer) I've never seen a transducer lose SOME of it's output. Usually, they're good, or they're bad. One clue might be: the measured resitance of the good tweeter coil is 5.9 ohms, while the measured resistance of the bad tweeter coil is 6.2.

Anyway, guess I'll order a replacement. Thanks for the help.

mark
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hello Maddison,
    No problem, I'm glad you were able to determine the cause.
    Take care, Ken