Best Glue/Adhesive for MDF

djsSHO
djsSHO Posts: 36
edited December 2002 in Custom Fabrication
Having a problem keeping pieces of MDF from falling apart when glueing them together before fiberglassing. What is the best glue to use for this and where can it be found. Superglue and wood glue don't seem to cut it in my opinion.

Thanks in advance
Derek S.
1994 MTX SHO
Polk MOMO 12"
Post edited by djsSHO on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited November 2002
    I built a mega aquarium stand out of 3/4 inch mdf.
    A good wood glue will do the trick if...... you sand(ruff up) and clean the area to be glued first.
    Also helps to use some brads or finishing nails to help hold it together until cure. The nails will add to the sheer strength as well.

-Luc
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2002
    Actualy...elmers wood glue is some of the best...however....I have always used in conjunction with drywall screws! If you sink the heads of them..you will have no issue once you fiberglass... can even wood putty fill and you dont even know its there.

You could use liquid nails...wich will dry a bit quicker and hold a bit quicker...but i dont like using them on enclosures.. personaly.

you need to have some patients with the glue...:lol:
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2002
    glue and screws dude--- u dont want weak spots.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • JustinGoodie
    JustinGoodie Posts: 18
    edited November 2002
    i always used liquid nails and drywall screws... since you're glassing, you could countersink the screws and fill the heads with bondo, which, not only is fiberglass, but will also work much better than wood putty.
  • djsSHO
    edited November 2002
    Perhaps i should have worded the question better, but I'm not fiberglassing a box with 90 degree corners where you can use screws to hold it together. I want to build custom pieces for interior parts of the car. This is not for construction of a subwoofer enclosure. If I could use screws or nails there would be no reason to glue at all..:)...this is for places where a nail or screw won't work. I have a pneumatic brad nailer, finish nailer, and stapler.

any other ideas?!

thanks for the responses everyone :)
    Derek S.
    1994 MTX SHO
    Polk MOMO 12"
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2002
    ohhh.. not for a sub box huh?

well.. in that case, personally, i find liquid nails to be "ok" but not great.. what i actually LOVE for glueing (non load bearing / stressed / etc) stuff together is 3M's Rubber Cement --- you can buy it in a big **** can (quart or gallon size available) and just put about a 1/8 inch layer on each piece to be glued -- let sit for 10 - 15 min and then press together... that will hold like iron while giving you a neat and IMMEDIATE finished product -- no need to wait 24 hours like with liquid nails... after that 10-15 minutes and slappin it together you're all good to glass over.

on a side note -- pneumatic nailers are my favorite toy that i never had -- imma ask my mother for one for xmas.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • djsSHO
    edited November 2002
    thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into finding that 3M cement.

pneumatic nailers are sooo useful. I want to get a framing gun and build myself a small shack to fiberglass in. Hopefully I can get a small heater in there so I can work when the snow flies around here.
    Derek S.
    1994 MTX SHO
    Polk MOMO 12"
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2002
    Do you have a hot glue gun? If not, they're very cheap and the glue sets up very quickly (as long as you don't have a pool of it). I hot glue MDF pieces together before wrapping it with carpet or fleece and then soaking that with 'glass.