Polkfest 2009 - Lodging/Logistics thread

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited November 2009 in Gatherings & Special Events
I figured I'd start a thread as time grows closer with some lodging and local area info...

For those flying in, I'm about 5 miles from the Charleston airport. That said, it's probably the most expensive airport in the world to fly in/out of. Within 2 hours are the Myrtle Beach (to the north) and Savannah/Hilton Head (south) Columbia, SC (west).....if you care to check into cheaper fares elsewhere.

There is an Amtrak terminal in town as well (if you opt for the train, let me know and I will meet you there. You do NOT want to be in that part of town, alone for any length of time.

Lodging:
ok, here is a list of hotels that are very close by...

http://www.carolinaicepalace.com/Lodging/

My picks would be:

Holiday Inn Express
7670 Northwoods Blvd
843-553-1600
North Charleston SC

Hampton Inn
7424 Northside Dr 843-820-2030
North Charleston SC

Fairfield Inn
7415 Northside Dr 843-572-6677
North Charleston SC

The Motel 6 is ok and cheap from what I hear (for the budget traveler)

STAY AWAY FROM:

Super 8
Howard Johnson
La Quinta

Any of the others should be ok.....me, personally, I would recommend the Holiday Inn Express.

All of these hotels are close to my house, particularly the ones that I have recommended at the top......again, all the major hotel chains are here in town so you shouldn't have a problem.

I'll post some local area info/tourist things a little later.

Please, l'd like this to be a primarily informational thread only as much as possible. If you have specific questions/issues email or PM me. The general chatter can take place in the other thread.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• TroyD
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, well, I'll get to the touristy things soon...

Just as an FYI though, for the attendees:

If you are coming for HT demos, you are going to be SOL. The closest I have to surround sound is a Dynaco Quadaptor putting noise into the rear surrounds however, that amp has a bad channel. Anyhow, just wanted to clear that up. NO HT.

Setups:

Shane Mann Memorial Auditorium:
    AR9's
    VPI HW-19 MKIII / Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Jolida JD100 tube cd player
    Melos SHA-1 pre
    Conrad Johnson MV-75A1 amp

Living Room Rig
    SDA SRS 2.3tl's
    Sunfire tube pre
    Phillips DVD-963-SA CD/SACD
    Polk XM tuna
    Classe 25 amp.

There will be a third rig set up in the same room (those that attended CPFI will remember the setup)

Gear is TBD but will feature the Monitor 7A's / LSi9's and whatever else people bring/dig up.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited October 2006
    Ok, so far no requests for local tourist info.....but, you know, google is your friend.

Far as the 'fest itself:

Official kickoff is 1600 on Friday. Which means, I plan on being open for bidness by then. Now, if you get in earlier, want to stop by and so forth....just give me a jingle as I may be off running errands and so forth. Not that you aren't welcome earlier but, just so you know, call first. If you don't have the contact info, pm/email me and I'll get it to you.

Attendees: Please, if you are planning on attending and you aren't sure that I KNOW you are coming, please, let me know. I'm guessing 30 but some of you guys are in limbo so, let me know.

Again, the agenda for Friday is up in the air. I will be providing food/beverages for those that wish to hang out. There are also those heading downtown. Word to the wise though, be safe. This is a big college town and the local gestapo is not terribly charitable if you catch my drift ESPECIALLY if you have out of state tags. Be warned.

Saturday.....official kickoff, sometime around 10 or so. The plan is to have three rigs (for those that were here in 04, layout will be similar). There will be designated people who can swap gear (but the plan is to keep that to a minimum) and software. If you bring something, keep track of it. I had one attendee two years ago (who no longer participates) get a little disjointed because he lost a CD. I will mail back CD's at my leisure but if I can't find it....buyer beware.

Sunday......get the hell out of town!! Just kidding. For those that wish to hang out on Sunday and press the flesh one last time, by all means. I'm not sure what in the way of food etc will be provided as that's the day I pretty much plan on cleaning up and getting the house back on it's foundation. However, those that want to swing by are more than welcome to do so.

Many of you have been to my home and I really don't have too many rules. The main rule is, have fun. Help yourself to whatever I have in terms of food and so forth. If you need something, feel free to ask. My goal is to make everyone feel as at home and comfortable as possible. That said, I have VERY cool neighbors however, especially as the night goes on....I ask that we be considerate. Again, most of them are very cool and will probably be there but, you know, we don't need 115db at 3am. I also have a dog (english bulldog puppy) and a cat. The dog thinks it's everyones duty to pet him and pay him attention. The cat ignores pretty much everyone. Just so you know, I have pets.

FIREWORKS are a NO-NO!

Also, and I shouldn't have to say this but I will. If you think that torching a fattie is a splendid idea, refrain. Do it at your house, at your hotel..whatever. Do NOT consider doing it in/around my home. I will not be amused.

Also, this is an event with adult beverages. IF you are staying at a hotel, consider a car pool or possibly going in on a taxi or some such. I would HATE to see anyone get bagged for DUI. That said, if just simply don't have the capacity, grab some floor, sofa, chair, lawn and pass out. All I ask is that any bodily fluids that happen to discharge, clean them up.

Last but certainly not least.....we are going to adopt on official Polkfest '06 charity. The Githens Center in Mt. Holly NJ. We will be doing a raffle (item(S) is TBD).....proceeds from my LP sales and of course, donations are welcome. After the 'fest wraps up....I will combine the proceeds and send off a check.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited September 2009
    EL BUMPO....

Same info...different year...the rig lineups are TBD as well...

BDT
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    edited October 2009
    Update:

Hampton Inn
    7424 Northside Dr 843-820-2030
    North Charleston SC

The Hampton Inn apparently has no rooms available for PF weekend.

Fairfield Inn
    7415 Northside Dr 843-572-6677
    North Charleston SC

The Fairfield is now a Quality Inn and one review mentioned bed bugs...ugh.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2009
    Holiday Inn Exp has rooms avail.---93.00/night
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2009
    George is always smarter than everyone so now we know why........

A few of us, well, a few more are at the Best Western on Prospect, around 70.00 a night.

RT1
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2009
    I'm confused,, but thats nothing new-- Best Western,, lemme' check into that--thanks

Nope-- Janice says Holiday Inn Xpress-- she like the perks,,plus I get the "old folks discount" and a complimentary wheelchair at my disposal,,and yep-- it's one of those electric jobbies too.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2009
    Janice has great taste, she was just blind-folded and a wee-bit tipsy the night she met you at that pin-the-tail on the donkey-man party and stuck the needle in your eye.

RT1
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2009
    I'm booked at the Hampton Inn, Northside Drive, North Charleston, SC.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2009
    dorokusai wrote:
    I'm booked at the Hampton Inn, Northside Drive, North Charleston, SC.

Good....we will let the proper authorities know....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2009
    I've already called ahead since I'm a registered deadly weapon.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TroyD
    edited October 2021
    This info is still pretty valid for PF 2021 attendees...

The Staybridge Suites are popular...

https://www.ihg.com/staybridge/hotels/us/en/north-charleston/chsal/hoteldetail