Subwoofer no Sound

Options
loserdavies
loserdavies Posts: 9
edited September 2006 in Troubleshooting
I have used the current setup for 2 years with no problems. Suddenly my Sub does not produce sound. I disconnected it and connected it to another receiver and it works fine. I have little kids so I tried going through the manaul on my Yamaha RX-V595 (Receiver) incase they pushed some buttons to turn it off. I made sure the SW/Main/both setting on the output modes was selected to either SW or Both. Any other ideas?
Post edited by loserdavies on

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,560
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Make sure the speaker settings shows a sub=yes and speakers are set to small. There is also a db setting for the sub output that might of been set to a very low output.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • loserdavies
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Yes set all speakers to small and played with the output level. Still no sound. Any other ideas?
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited September 2006
    Options
    maybe player settings? does it work with other sources?

)
  • loserdavies
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I tried using Tuner, TV, DVD player none work. Thanks for all the help
  • sucks2beme
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Try a reset. The lower end Yammies say to just unplug for a few minutes
    and try again. If the logic got fouled up, this might clear it. Also try the troubleshooting guide in the manual. There may be some model specific settings to try.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • loserdavies
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I really do appreciate all the help. The manual did not help. I tried unplugging it for a while then plugging it back in. No change. Any other ideas?
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    Options
    what brand and model of sub is it?

sounds like maybe the subwoofer out on your receiver is the problem.. but is could also be a menu setting.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,884
    edited September 2006
    Options
    How about hooking it up through speaker cable method. Run cables from AVR to sub then from sub to speakers. set speakers to large.
  • loserdavies
    edited September 2006
    Options
    The sub works on another receiver so I know the sub works. The receiver does not have speaker outputs to the sub. Only the sub cable output. Unless you mean just hook it up to any of the speaker outputs. I feel very frustrated by this problem but it may be the receiver itself. I know its a low end receiver but it has worked well for so long. Looks like I may just have to buy another.
  • loserdavies
    edited September 2006
    Options
    sorry didn't read willows responce clearly I will try that tonight
  • loserdavies
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Ok tried the speaker method and the sub works so I guess the Sub output connection is broken? or some logic inside is screwed up. I am definetly no expert but the stupid question is can this happen?
  • sucks2beme
    edited September 2006
    Options
    At this point, its an older unit, there is little you can do with it. Maybe a connection, maybe logic. If the speaker in and out connection works, I'd stick with it for now and start saving for that killer replacement unit!
  • jabrax
    jabrax Posts: 315
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I put out some post early spring about the exact same issue with My RX -V757 and noone could figure out the problem (forums, yamaha support, sub company support.) I just got it back from repair last week and the problem still exist. Unfortunaly for me, this is the second time this summer and they still haven't fixed it. They must think I am an idiot and wouldn't realize it! :mad:

Hope you made a wiser decision and purchased through a Yamaha authorized so that they can repair it.

I f'd up and purchased the item new on ebay from a company "U Got a Deal" who probably is dealing in refurbished yammie products who offered their warranty. They pitch that they send the items to Yamaha for repair - but i honestly doubt i (saved 200 buying through them, BUT spent about 130 in shipping back and forth and no use for 2 months.) Sent to them twice and it has come back worse each time - remote cracked and leg broken, scratches :mad: - Sorry for rant, trying to get them on the phone now, this may calm me before the call...the whole more flies with honey approach.

Anyway, back to the problem. I assume they would need to replace the board with the preouts. They hiked up the signal somehow to get the sub to now hum and vibrate when sub volume is turned up as if it is on, however not playing anything.

If you get yamaha to repair it for you, could you please let me know what they do, and maybe I can just fix it myself.

Again, sorry for highjacking your post with a rant.

Jeff
    TV...............Hitachi 42hdS52a plasma (sexy one with the swival)
    Pre/Processor - Emotiva MMC
    Seven Ch AMP - Emotiva LPA
    Fronts - Tyler Acoustics 7U's
    Center - Polk LSIC
    Sub - DSWPRO600
    DAC - Music Hall 25.3CD - Marantz cc4001
    Blue Ray - PS3
    Speaker cables - Audioquest cv4 dbs
    Interconnects - MIT AVT1's
    Power Filter....Monster HTS 3500 MKII
  • JKnPA
    JKnPA Posts: 41
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Find a 'local repairman' who has worked on Yamahas..... get an estimate.
    Its probably a minor problem.
    * Re-check your speaker settings.
    JK.
    Denon 1906AVR
    Polk... M40s, Cs1
    JVC DVD player XV-SA600
    Sharp LC-37D6U
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited September 2006
    Options
    This may sound stupid but check to make sure that the PURE DIRECT is off.
    Yamaha's in that mode cut the sub off.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • loserdavies
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Can't be stupid if I don't know what it is.:) What is it and where do I find it.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited September 2006
    Options
    It will be a small clear frosted button on the face plate somewhere.
    When it's on it will light up blue in color.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • loserdavies
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Don't believe my model has it but I will double check
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    Options
    just check the users manual for a menu setting on how to get into it and turn it off it's it's on.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: