RTI 6 Nothing from the mid range speaker

Options
gambit980
gambit980 Posts: 5
edited September 2006 in Troubleshooting
Hello I bought these RTI 6 about six months ago. I love them great sound. Recently I have had some problems. I have been going back and forth with this HK recevier The last reciever I got from HK would play fine then I would hear a loud pop sound in the right RTI speaker. Then it went into protect mode. So I tried another R50 speaker in place of the RTI6 same problem. I thought okay has to be the reciever, and returned it once again to HK. And they did the right thing and gave me an upgrade.

I am still waiting for the new reciever, but while I wait I decieded to use my old stereo reciever in it's stead. So I connect the RTI pair to the good ole stanby reciver, and I can barley hear out of the right channel. Now I thinking something is up. I go to the speaker put my ear to it and sure enough the mid-range speaker just pure isn't playing. The left speaker is fine, the right no go, except for the tweeter. :confused: so I but the R50 in it's place and it works fine.

So I go to the forum and read that some people have had this problem and that they replace the brass bi-amp conncetor for speaker wire. So I do this with I think 50 guage speaker wire, plug it back into the my trusty reciver, still no sound from the mid-range speaker. :( Seeing as this speaks to me like a blow cross-over, I consult my brother the Electrical Engenierr. He unscrews the back panel and looks at the cross-over. He is impressed with build of the speaker, especially the binding post, but sees no signs of a burned or blown crossover. I am at a lost. I have been putting together amatuer home theater set-up's for about 8 years now.

The only part that I haven't elminated is the speaker wire, but if that was the problem the R50 wouldn't work. Please Help. I've finally have the Home theater sound I have always wanted. RTI 6 fronts CSI 3 center, and mirage surrounds. Please help my dream come true and help me with the RTI 6 speaker.
Post edited by gambit980 on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2006
    Options
    swap speakers, ..(hook the bad rti6 where the good one is on the other channel of the receiver) and also remove the mid range and on very low or no volume , hook the speaker wire straight to it.. slowly turn the volume up and see if it plays..

if it doesnt play, its fried.. if it does, listen for scratchy sound.. and if it sounds ok its the crossover
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • gambit980
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I hooked the wired straight to the midrange speaker and I heard no sound. Do I have to replace the midrange speaker? Also I am the original owner of the speaker, can I send this in to be fixed?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I'd say your HK took out the driver, which means it's time to buy a new driver. Call Polk Customer Service to order one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm sorry you're having a problem. All you would need to do is box the driver up and send it to Polk Audio, 2550 Britannia Blvd., Suite A, San Diego, CA. 92154. Please include a short note giving us your name, address and a copy of your sales receipt. We will quickly send a replacement.
    Regards, Ken
  • gambit980
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I see If I can find my copy of my receipt or have the store print one.
    Thanks
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Got to love that 5 year warrenty!
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300