Door speakers mod: db Magnum

Lloyd Dobler
Lloyd Dobler Posts: 7
edited September 2006 in Custom Fabrication
I'm looking to possible install speakers in the same fashion as was done in The db Magnum. Is there any pictures showing how this mod was done? Or is there any body out that might be able to preform this on my magnum? Would this be something maybe Polk might offer to buy directly?

Thoughts?
Post edited by Lloyd Dobler on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited September 2006
    Thom and Josh (the installers responsible for the db Magnum) frequent the forum here- why not send either one a PM?

If anyone would have that info, it'd be those guys.
  • Lloyd Dobler
    edited September 2006
    Dear Greg,

I was hoping that they might read this post from time to time. I tried to PM them but I don't have enough post to do so. So I contacted the administrator so I hope they get it that way. Man they did such a nice job on the magnum too. I just want mine to be just as nice.
    Be well, Lloyd
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk Woodpecker Posts: 0
    edited September 2006
    We neglected to take any progress pics of the front doors. We tend to that often unfortunately. The front doors are the factory plastic with a MDF ring molded to it. We removed the bottom plastic section by grinding off the heat stakes that hold the panel on. The ring was then mounted to the car through steel tabs welded on to the sheet metal of the door then molded to the bottom section with Duraglass (fiberglass reinforced polyester body filler) and finished with Rage Gold (lightweight polyester body filler). The tweeter cups were molded in the same way. Then the whole thing was treated to a heavy coat of high build primer then sanded to a smooth finish before paint. The panels were reattached using 10-32 threaded inserts screwed into the back of the painted panel, then attached with washers and screws from behind the door panel. It isn't the easiest thing in the world, but after you've done it for a while, it's pretty straight forward. As a beginner, I would get some junk doorpanels from a junkyard to practice on before doing it to the Magnum. Let me know if you have any more questions.
  • Lloyd Dobler
    edited September 2006
    Thank you for reply. I was hoping but not counting on progress pics. I know that you are so in to building the thing that pictures is last on your mind.
    Is the tweeter thing made from MDF as well? Is there a chance that I could mail you my pannels and you could mod them for me? If so what would the cost be? Could you supply me with a few more and closer-up picuters of the door plannels?
    I'm just starting to get in to modding things. I wanted to say that you have really done a nice job. It was one of the things that helped me to decide on buying a Magnum.
    Be well, Lloyd
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk Woodpecker Posts: 0
    edited September 2006
    The tweeters are the cups that come with the system molded in. We really couldn't do anything for you here. We just do company owned cars. If you PM me your e-mail, I will send you some high res pics.
  • Lloyd Dobler
    edited September 2006
    I thought as much about the tweeters. because they didn't look like they were cut from 1/2" or 3/4" MDF, if so you would have had to have done a ton of sanding. I'm still unable to PM due to the need for 10 post before you are able to PM. Please email me the high res pictures you have to quasimodosurf@verizon.net. I understand about you only working on company vehicles. If you did mine you would have abunch of other people doing the same. I must say you really do great work. What are you currently working on? Can you say?
    Be well, Lloyd