RM 6700 Home Theater Speaker System

Options
Oholt51
Oholt51 Posts: 3
edited August 2006 in Troubleshooting
I have a Onkyo TX-SR501 Receiver and a PSW 202 subwoofer and I just bought a RM-6700 Speaker System , which includes center and satelite speakers. The question I have is the Polk directions tell me to hookup my
front speakers directly to my subwoofer and to run my connections on the
back of my receiver to the speaker levels on the subwoofer and turn the
subwoofer off. Will that make alot of difference in the way the system sounds?
I have hooked all my speaker wires to the back of the receiver.The receiver
has subwoofer connection on the back, which I hooked up the subwoofer.
Another question I have is - How do you change the size of speakers on my
receiver? I can only change all the speakers or none. It has at it's highest
setting at 150Hz and will only go lower.Thanks for any help you can give me.
Post edited by Oholt51 on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for posting on the Forum. The easiest way to allow the sub-woofer to play up to 150Hz is to simply give it a full range right and left audio signal. The same audio signal that is going to the front two speakers. Then adjust the variable low pass filter, on the sub-woofer, to 150Hz. This takes care of the sub-woofer's connections. Now for the front right and left speakers, you have two ways of getting a signal to them. One way is to place their speaker wires into the same opening, on the back of the receiver, as the wires that go to the sub-woofer. The second method is to place their wires in the speaker "output" connections on the sub-woofer. Both methods are the same in results.
    Then the center and surrounds can be connected to the receiver. As far as the receiver's setup instructions go, set the fronts as "large", the center and surrounds as "small" and you're done. If you haven't set the receiver's sub-out function to "on" there's no need to change anything. If you've already set the sub-out function, on the receiver, to "on" change it to "off". This connection arrangement will insure that the sub-woofer and the front satellites blend as they should.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Regards, Ken
  • Oholt51
    Oholt51 Posts: 3
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Kenneth, thank you for responding to questions, but there is one small probelm- My receiver will not let you select certain speakers, it lets you change the Hz by size of speakers (all speakers). Thank You - oholt51
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Hello,
    I would use the lowest high pass frequency given, since the center and surround speakers have a built-in high pass filter we don't want the filter point, given by the receiver, to interfere with this. If you begin hearing "cone breakup" from the center and surrounds you could raise the low pass filter point slightly. Cone breakup can be recognized as a lack of control in the sound, a feeling that the speaker is sounding strained. If you hear that raise the low pass filter point a small amount until the sound is controlled and detailed with no straining quality.
    Take care, Ken