Problems w/ an old Pioneer amp

Options
nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited October 2002 in Electronics
I have a Pioneer amp (model SX-450 See the specs and picture here, courtesy of www.classic-audio.com . The problem I have is that when I turn it on, the front panel lights flicker and I get static out of any of the speakers that are turned on. Sometimes they'll do that for a minute or two, other times they'll only do it for a few seconds. It seems completely random, only that if you had the amp on for a while, turned it off for a second, then turned it back on it'd either not do it all or just for a second or two. I've also had it happen when pushing the amp hard... you know, it's only 15w/ch (a very CONSERVATIVE rating...) and so when I turn it up w/ large speakers the lights dim... well, they were dimming quite a bit, then it just started doing the static and flickering thing. I have a feeling that my capacitors may be going out on me... therefore taking a longer time to get full of power, and when they get drained by loud music it starts the process all over again? Anyone else have thoughts like mine?

I'd like to put this amp into service as my main amp, 'cause I think it'd complement my 5jrs nicely.... right now it's just wasting away in my basement. Please let me know your thoughts... I know you guys and gals know more about this than I do. Thanks a whole heap, man...

nadams
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Just a thought...have you ever taken the cover off and given it a thorough cleaning? It's probably collected a fair amount of dust over the last 20 or so years. I would use a can of compressed air, available at camera stores or Best Buy, and give the guts a good blow. www.partsexpress.com even makes some stuff to spray on the electrical connections to clean them of any oxidation that may have occured over the years. Make sure to unplug it first :).
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited October 2002
    Options
    becarefull with the spray stuff, you can clean off some plastic coated things inside........the amp sounds like it could use alittle service.If you got a repair shop around your way,I'd stp in for a look see........they could clean it all up and have it sounding like new in no time.........i'd give it a shot!!
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nadams
    edited October 2002
    Options
    GZ- No dust, I cleaned it all out. Also, I bought a can of electronics cleaner from RatShack and cleaned all the connections in the front panel (it made a huge difference w/ the volume and balance knobs... they used to make all sorts of static and cut the channels in and out when turned, but not any more)... but all the connections within the amp are wire-wrapped posts, and I wasn't gonna remove the wire from every single post and clean it, then rewrap. Maybe someday, if it's deemed necessary... At the same time, I might solder them, but I don't want to take away from the authenticity of this amp. I hope to have it for a good long while (even though it's already been around for a good long while). Thanks for your speedy response!

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    becarefull with the spray stuff, you can clean off some plastic coated things inside........the amp sounds like it could use alittle service.If you got a repair shop around your way,I'd stp in for a look see........they could clean it all up and have it sounding like new in no time.........i'd give it a shot!!

I looked around a bit and didn't see anything that looked like it could be effected, but I really don't know much about these types of things. I think I'm gonna have to hit the yellow pages and see what's around town... I live out in the country, there prolly isn't too many shops... Thanks,

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2002
    Options
    you could have a bad sodder on the wireing for the display and it is causeing noise in the power or the display can be going bad and causing noise in the power with will be herd in the music.

can you dis conect the display if you do and it is going bad that will get rid of the bad stuff or replave the display
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2002
    Options
    It might be a cold solder joint. This term is meant a couple of ways in audio. In this case, I mean solder that has come loose from its connection (often attributed to cold soldering). If you have the test equipment and an iron you can work it down. Unplug/replug any connectors inside that you can find. If you have my luck and knowledge you'll end-up taking it to a pro. Good luck.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I'm just spitballing here, but I'm thinking that it MAY be a case of where repairing it would be more costly than the amp is worth. I mean, the cool factor is pretty high and I'm knocking your gear but older 2ch receivers can be had pretty cheap.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    ...and I'm knocking your gear but....
    BDT

NOT knocking? Come on Troy, it's not Dan's receiver.... ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I was KICKING Dan's gear, remember?

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Oh, yeah, sorry, my bad.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2002
    Options
    That is very funny!!!! some of you guys have small tiffs i have noticed but its all pretty comical...........
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Thats just what those dudes like to do..........Don't ask me why.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited October 2002
    Options
    because it's funny, that's why.

BDT
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited October 2002
    Options
    nadams,
    I gotta agree with Troy. As far as taking it to a repair shop, www.classicaudio.com puts a estimated value on the SX-450 at anywhere between $37 - $67 so I'd be careful what I sink into repairing it. I would think a repair shop is gonna sock you at least $50 just to pop the hood and tell you what might be wrong. I've got a Pioneer SA-8100 integrated amp and TX-7100 tuner from the mid 70's that I still use down in my workshop. They both still work great, but when they don't anymore, they're boat anchors. I couldn't justify putting any $$ into them. As painful as it might be, sometimes we just have to let go.
  • TroyD
    edited October 2002
    Options
    You know what Moses said to the Pharoh?

Let my people go...........

BDT
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited October 2002
    Options
    its because you guys are butt holes and that is that
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by liv4fam

damm...freaking horse always kicks himself...what a life!!!

nadams

I would at least give it a try, clean out all the speaker terminals if you can including the terminal on the speaker as well (use cleanning solution from Rat Shak), take out those control knobs on the front panel and use compress air to clean from the inside and outside in those areas, for all other areas, use static-free cloth to clean all the dust out, if all doesn't work, the you need to take the trip to the service dept...good luck...
  • TroyD
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by liv4fam

Considering the source, I take that as a great compliment :D

I bet things over on the Def Tech forum are probably pretty interesting.

BDT
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2002
    Options
    here is my idea on how to fix your gear take it to a bridge and toos it off then pick up a good used recever that is 15 years old lol
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    Options
    ganzo is on a Roll!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Troy,
    I was just wondering.is it because liv4fam owns them or you just have some kind of grudge against Def tech......I was just wondering.
    Dan
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited October 2002
    Options
    :D
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."