No sound from my RMDS-3

Options
Rudysnyder
Rudysnyder Posts: 8
edited August 2006 in Troubleshooting
Ok, I'll be honest. I bought a Polk RMDS-3 system on Ebay. The ad said that the speakers and the preamp appeared new, but they were missing the cables and the remote. When I got the system, both the pre-amp and the subwoofer powered up. To hook the pre-amp to the subwoofer, I ordered a DB25 cable from Polk. After hooking the system up, there was no sound from the subwoofer or the other speakers connected to the pre-amp by the DB25 cable. It didn't matter whether I tried to get sound from the tuner, dvd, aux, etc. The red light on the woofer never turned green, nor did I get any sound at all from any of the speakers. Is there a simple solution, or did I buy a reject? I've tried the multi option with another amp and it works.
Post edited by Rudysnyder on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Hello Rudy,
    Thanks for participating in the Forum, sorry you're having problems with the RMDS1. There is a constant trigger voltage that "tells" the sub-woofer amplifier to come on changing the sub-woofer LED from red to green. One thing to try is remove the DB25 cable and swap it end for end, plugging the end that was into the processor into the sub-woofer and the end that was previously in the sub-woofer into the processor. It is possible the connecting pins will make better contact if the cable is reversed. A second thing to try is to simultaneously push the following three buttons on the face of the processor, "save preset", "clear" and "preset up". You should then see "default" on the processor's display, turn the power on and off and hopefully the unit should function.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • Rudysnyder
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, neither reversing the cable or rebooting the pre-amp to default got the system to work. Is there anything else that I should try?

Rudy
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Hello Rudy,
    I'm sorry that didn't solve the problem. Normally what would happen is that your dealer would have you bring the processor and cable into the store to try them with their display unit. This way through trial and error the cause could be isolated. Buying without dealer support is risky. Probably the best thing to do, at this point, is to send both the processor and the connecting cable to us at Polk Audio, 2550 Britannia Blvd., Suite D, San Diego, CA. 92154 please include a short note explaining the circumstances of how you acquired the system and your name and address and a daytime telephone number. Let's start with the lightest weight components first before we worry about the sub-woofer.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • Rudysnyder
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Got the RMDS 3 back from Polk, and after repairing the transformer, the system works great. Cost me an additional $190, but I guess I still got a good deal as long as nothing else goes wrong. Wish I could upgrade the pre amp by either downloading software or changing a board. Anyways, thanks for all the help.
  • Rudysnyder
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Hi. I'm writing again about my RMDS 3. It appears to have blown the transformer again since the unit powers up, but I get no sound. Can you provide me specifications and a place to purchase a new transformer so I can replace it myselt rather than ship the subwoofer to California? Thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Hello,
    The replacement part that you purchased from us would have a one year warranty. Are the symptoms the same as before? You say the unit powers up but no sound, correct? Do you mean the pre-amp/processor is operating but no the sub-woofer LED?
    Regards, Ken
  • Rudysnyder
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Hi Ken. Since my last response on this thread was three years ago, I believe the part is now three years old. Yes, it is the same exact symptons as before. I tried reversing the cable and resetting the processor, but there is still no sound. The red light on the subwoofer stays red and does not turn green. I also notic that there is no heat coming off of the heat sink on the rear of the subwoofer anymore.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm sure I can be of help. Give me a call at 1-800-377-7655 extension 891 or send me an email at kswauger@polkaudio.com. Let's get your system working again the way it should be.
    Regards, Ken