RTi8 with nonworking tweeter

Options
panndder
panndder Posts: 2
edited August 2006 in Troubleshooting
I have a set of RTi8's I bought less than 6 months ago (I also bought a CSi5 and FXi5's). I just noticed now that one of my tweeters is producing no sound whatsoever. The other speakers are fine, as well as the connections. I have everything hooked to my HK AVR635 and it is used 95% of the time for HT use. I cannot imagine how it could have been blown (no kids in the house, and the room is locked when they are over....I keep it at -15db when using it at peak volume) not to mention it is putting out no sound, not crackling or anything.

The midrange/woofers seem to be acting normally, and seem to be crossedover as they should be, yet the high is obviously missing.

Is there any way to see if the crossover is somehow blown or bad? I am not aware of a good troubleshooting method for such an issue.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick
Post edited by panndder on

Comments

• tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited August 2006
    Options
    panndder wrote:
    I have a set of RTi8's I bought less than 6 months ago (I also bought a CSi5 and FXi5's). I just noticed now that one of my tweeters is producing no sound whatsoever. The other speakers are fine, as well as the connections. I have everything hooked to my HK AVR635 and it is used 95% of the time for HT use. I cannot imagine how it could have been blown (no kids in the house, and the room is locked when they are over....I keep it at -15db when using it at peak volume) not to mention it is putting out no sound, not crackling or anything.

The midrange/woofers seem to be acting normally, and seem to be crossedover as they should be, yet the high is obviously missing.

Is there any way to see if the crossover is somehow blown or bad? I am not aware of a good troubleshooting method for such an issue.

Thanks in advance,
    Patrick

5 year warranty
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • panndder
    panndder Posts: 2
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I understand that, but how are warranty issues generally handled? Are there authorized service stations in major cities? (I live near the Twin Cities, MN)

I have the general technical ability to take apart the speaker and replace a crossover, if it would prevent the need to ship the speaker.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Call Polk Customer Service on Monday morning, they'll get you fixed up.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited August 2006
    Options
    panndder wrote:
    I understand that, but how are warranty issues generally handled? Are there authorized service stations in major cities? (I live near the Twin Cities, MN)

I have the general technical ability to take apart the speaker and replace a crossover, if it would prevent the need to ship the speaker.

Polk CS will guide you through some diagnostic tests to locate the problem. They will then instruct you on how take the defective part out of the speaker and send it to Polk for repair or replacement.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29