ds7200 sub/amp problem

Options
bigdaddyo
bigdaddyo Posts: 7
edited July 2006 in Troubleshooting
system is just over 4 years old. Tried to play a dvd over the weekend and noticed the sub and center not working. Other surround speakers all work. Switched the wire from surround speaker to center, and center worked.

Checked all connections and seemed fine. Checked the sub fuse - fine. Reset the preamp by pressing three buttons. Unplugged the amp/sub and replugged after 15 minutes. Nothing seems to work.

I recently hooked up Sirrius satellite radio in the DSS input slot of preamp, in case it matters.

Is the amp/sub dead? What are my options?

Thanks,

Kevin
Post edited by bigdaddyo on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Hello,
    In all likelihood the bass amplifer has gone into protection mode. Unplug the AC power cord for the sub-woofer and leave it unplugged for at least 15 minutes. Then re-connect and the bass amplifier will be operating.
    Regards, Ken
  • bigdaddyo
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Ken.

I already tried this, to no avail. I will try it again, to be sure. Any other suggestions on what is wrong? Could the amp be broken? Why do the surrounds work, and not the bass or center, if the amp is not working for the bass?

Sorry for all the questions.

Kevin
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Hello Kevin,
    There are really three two channel amplifiers in the sub-woofer. One of these two channel amplifiers is providing power for the center channel and the woofer. The remaining two amplifiers provide power for the front channels and the surround channels. There are some fairly sophisticated protection circuits that keep track of the amplifier's status. The symptom of no sound from center and bass would indicate that amplifier not being operating. Make sure you unplug the sub-woofer's AC power cord, not just turn off the AC switch. If things are still not working call us at 1-800-377-7655 and talk with Eric or Kim. They'll help you out, I'm on a week's vacation.
    Take care, Ken
  • bigdaddyo
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Ken,

Thanks again for the reply. I took your advise and called Polk; spoke to Eric. Very helpful. He suggested I check the center speaker wiring to make sure there is not a short. He also suggested I disconnect power to the preamp. He last said to disconnect and reconnect the "printer cable" between the preamp and the sub/amp too.

After this I think I've exhausted my remedies other than to send the system back to Polk for repair. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will try these things tonight.

I'll post the results, for anyone interested.

On a side note. Getting feedback on this forum is a tremendous resource. Talking with Eric/customer service was both helpful and comforting. This is also a good business practice in that it keeps the loyal customer loyal.

Thanks again,

Kevin
  • bigdaddyo
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Update.

Unplugged everything, including "printer" connection cable. Checked center speaker wireing; everything OK.

Still sub and center are not working.

Per Eric, I will be sending sub (internal part) and preamp back to Polk for repair.

Oh well.

Kevin
  • bigdaddyo
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Received the amp/sub back yesterday. Plugged it in and works like a champ. Polk customer service was fast and reasonable at fixing the unit. They called to give an estimate, and had it fixed and out the door the next day.

This experience reinforces my fondness for my "pokies" and loyalty for their product.

Bigdaddyo