New Polks several questions

robert.oneill
robert.oneill Posts: 2
Hello, I am new to the Polk Forum and new to hi-end fidelity. I just bought, Rti70, RTi38, CSi40 and a Velodyne CHT 10 sub. I was hoping to achieve a good stereo and HT solution. I am powering this through a Sony STR-DB 940. I have several questions, please bare with me.
1. During CD playback, (seems to be a waste of the RTi38s, currently set up as HT rears) is it advisable to set these up as "B channel" speakers? any draw backs?
2. Speaker break in...is it necessary to do this asap...or can you do it gradually...I like to break in the neighbours gradual too!
3. Is the receiver I am using doing justice to my polks....or are there recommendations out there under $2,000 Can. ($1600us)?
4. Where is the best place to find info on my sub, Velodyne's on line presence seems limited?

5. Not a question just a comment. What an incredible set of speakers...dollar for dollar I am blown away.

Thanks all.
Post edited by robert.oneill on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    Welcome to the forums. :)

1. Does your receiver have any DSP modes? Some people like to use pro-logic (II), or other "hall" and surround modes to make use of the entier 5.1 speakers. Most people prefer just the two front channels for audio, since most music is two channel stereo anyway. I think using the rears as "B" speakers would be ok, but it could be a pain when switching back and forth from 5.1 etc.

If I were you, I would just let those RTi70's sing in stereo and save the rest for home theater.

2. Some people will say different, but I say just let em break in over time.

3. Your receiver is not bad, but a higher end receiver (or amp, if your recever has pre-amp outputs) will make your speakers shine a bit more. You can get a really awesome receiver for that price range. Check out NAD, Rotel, Outlaw, Arcam, Marantz, and so on. Just remember, get what sounds best to you.

4. What kind of info do you need? The manual that came with it should have quite a bit, and from what I've seen on the site - most all of the specs are there. What is it specificaly that you want to know?

5. Agreed! Killer setup man. Congrats, and welcome to the wonderful world of Polk Audio!
  • robert.oneill
    robert.oneill Posts: 2
    edited October 2002
    Thanks for the info. My receiver numerous DSP modes...too many options. I am not sold on Sony, but I got $400 off this model so went with it...seemed like a good idea at the time. That was before Polk...
    The sub was open box stock and there was no manual with it. I thought the website would at least have a pdf manual...but doesnt look like it. I am just looking for all the info on recommended settings, config etc. I will probably have to call Velodyne.
    Thanks.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    Nah, don't call velodyne. Just post your question(s) in the subwoofer forum. :)

Several people here have velo's, and we've all worked with subs - so fire away and I know several people will help you out.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2002
    robert welcome to the Polk forums. You'll learn a lot from the folks here and who are part of Polk Audio. I know I did from the time I first logged on about a year ago.

Other receivers to keep in mind would be Onkyo, and Denon. While I have a Marantz, those two other makes are very good for home theater and music.

I have heard some people complain that their Sony receivers don't mate well with Polk speakers. I'm sure it's a case by case basis too. Just passing this along, I've never owned a Sony receiver. Just a Sony CD player.

Congrats on your new speakers.. i'm sure they sound great and will give you many years of great sounding audio.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2002
    Robert,

If you want another Sony then get their ES line. Much, much better than their standard stuff. The others that phuz suggested are very good too. I'm not into HT or subs, so I can't advise there, accept to agree (again) with phuz that the RTi70's would be good for 2 channel alone.

Welcome to the fray!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2002
    i looked at the Sony web sight. nothing about the ES line. hmmm?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    edited October 2002

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited October 2002
    Hi robert.oneill,

welcome to the forum. If you got a deal on the Sony that's a good thing. Don't throw the savings away buying a different receiver if you're satisfied with the decoding, and switching. I can't
    recommend setting up your surrounds as B channel speakers,but
    it's your system. Sounds like you're interested in multi-channel music. In that case I would look in to a SACD, orDVD-Audio player that plays multi-channel. Take your time, the speakers will break in it won't take long. Now, what I would recommend is a seperate power amp. something like the Outlaw 755, 200watts times 5 will
    open up those Polks,and leave you enough money to get a multi-channel SACD player with progressive scan. Just a different suggestion. Outlawaudio.com I've heard nothing but good things about this company and it's products. Keep posting plenty of info here someone will have the solution to your A/V problems Good Luck.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • F1nut
    edited October 2002
    SACD player with progressive scan?????????????????????

President of Club Polk

• jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited October 2002
    I should have said DVD player with progressive scan, that plays 2 channel/multi-channel SACD disc. SONY DVP-NS755v PETERING's posted in "Electronics" he got one for $217.00 including shipping
    if I'm not mistaken.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • capitan100
    capitan100 Posts: 172
    edited October 2002
    i think your db940 should be fine. I have a sony v-555ES receiver and I love it. I have only sony and polk equipment and couldn't be happier. Only thing i wish i had was 6.1 and 7.1 decoding. I like to listen to music as well using all 6 speakers. The way I do it is though the dsp modes. I personally like the cinema studio c. It gives the best surround effects and best overall bass to the sub. The cinema b - puts too much emphasis on the rears and the cinema a - doesn't put enough. just my personal taste, but i am assuming yours has those dsp functions, since the db line is just under the es line. good luck.
    Home Theater
    Sony DA7ES 7.1 A/V Receiver
    Sony DVP-NC80V - SACD/DVD player
    CS400 - Center channel
    RT2000i - Fronts
    RT1000i - Surrounds
    a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
    Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
    Niles HDL-4 Speaker Selector
    Niles HDL-6 Speaker Selector
    Sony V555ES receiver