There is NO substitute.......

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited July 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
.........for radiating surface area and a man's amp.

- George Grand - 1999(ish)

Truer words may never have been spoken.

You know, it just occured to me that (and I think perusing the forum and even audio rags etc) that we tend to get so wrapped around the axle about this that and the other thing that we sometimes overlook the pure fun of listening.

I came home this afternoon after a particularly unpleasant day at work..poured myself a nice cold beer, put on my SDA glasses and rocked the f%#k out. AWESOME stuff. Joe Bonamassa, SRV and a few others...just cranked it up and rolled like a fatty.

Sheer SDA goodness with a few hundred watts of class 'A' amplification and life is good, brohams. Hopefully, the neighbors agree.

I encourage you, just for a day, quit dicking with cables and worrying about toe in or tube rolling....just put in some music and let 'er roll. THAT is what this hobby is about.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Sir, yes sir.

I plan on doing the same tonight, except with gin, not beer.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Did that yesterday with Luke and the Locomotives at maximum levels.....awesome!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Hugo is trying to mount the cat....so he's decided to rock out with his **** out!

BDT
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I do the same, quite often. Almost daily in the truck, the GAYrage, the TV room, the cellar...
    Hugo is trying to mount the cat....so he's decided to rock out with his **** out!

BDT

Sweet...
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Matt knew what he was doing when he created the 2.3TL. Just finished Chris Issak "Only the Lonely: He's in this room somewhere at least it sounded like it.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Awesome Troy.

Had a similar experience when I brought these 'old' NHT 2.1's home. Plug and play broham. I'm as happy as puppy with two peters. Instant **** eatin grin, I kid you not.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I'm short on funds so I couldn't change anything even if I wanted to - which I don't. I like my rig the way it is and I enjoy it (almost) everyday :D .
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited July 2006
    Options
    TroyD wrote:
    Sheer SDA goodness with a few hundred watts of class 'A' amplification and life is good, brohams. Hopefully, the neighbors agree.

I try to have at least one Maxell Moment a week with the Carver/SRS rig. I just finished Sublime "Second-hand Smoke" on 200g vinyl. Oh yeah!

....believe me when I say that I got somethin' for your punk ****! :cool:
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited July 2006
    Options
    **** all:) ... Lousy week at work...looked forward to some listening at Volume, next thing i know the inlaws are in da house through the weekend. SSSSSHHHHEEEEEIIIIIITTTEEE!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2006
    Options
    ROCK ON!

3060000000058568.JPG
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Knocking the dust out of the Magnepan 1.6's and letting the neighbors enjoy "Eagles - One of These Nights" right now! Forgot how much I liked this CD!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I agree 100%!

I did just that the other day. Went outside and used my bong, came back in and rocked the f*ck out!

That's what this hobby is all about. Pure fun.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2006
    Options
    If you ever come down to Toronto, let me know. We'll listen to some tubes on horns.

I'm ready to go flea powered. I received Cliff's little console tube amp (5w/ch) and from what I'm hearing, I'm all go for Single Ended Triode. The one I'm looking at is rated at 3.2w/ch.

So whenever you're in the area, you're welcome to stop by.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,290
    edited July 2006
    Options
    DAGLJAM6 wrote:
    **** all:) ... Lousy week at work...looked forward to some listening at Volume, next thing i know the inlaws are in da house through the weekend. SSSSSHHHHEEEEEIIIIIITTTEEE!

"Hey, Pops-in-law, wanna listen to a CD I just picked up off of Amazon ?
    It's by a group called Pantera. Oh, here's a little song called

" F U * * K I N G H O S T I L E "

....and load and launch.
    Volume level: well, let's go with a modest 3 % THD, aka the pictures are starting to drop off the wall.

Later, when your wife complains about how rude you were to her dad and how quickly he left after your system demo, merely casually reply:

"Hey, it ain't my fault he's a pansy !"
    Sal Palooza
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Agree 100%---STOP listening to the gear, and START listening to the music.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mulveling
    mulveling Posts: 505
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Got my new 2ch rig with a total of six 10" woofers and 2400 Watts of amplification. First speaker rig I've owned that can totally immerse me in the music and quiet the voices in my head telling me to upgrade again :D
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2006
    Options
    OK Mulveling, please feel free to check out the Chord Mono Blocks.........the voices will return soon.......

RT1

Rock on everyone.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited July 2006
    Options
    My 2 channel is sounding sweet afer the day im having ill be listening to operation mindcrime cd that i won from marker and enjoying a few beers
  • TroyD
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Spent the last couple hrs with a NICE bottle of Irish whisky.....some Steely Dan and Traffic

BOOO-YAAAAAAH.

I will NEVER sell my 2.3tl's. Nope, they ain't perfect but they are DAMN fun to listen to. This house is fully PRESSURIZED.

BDT
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Fireman32 wrote:
    My 2 channel is sounding sweet afer the day im having ill be listening to operation mindcrime cd that i won from marker and enjoying a few beers

Great CD. "Sister Mary" is quite a trip. Gonna have to find that one again to hear the difference on the current setup.:cool:
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Share the wealth.....:) :):):):):):):):) "The Cuervo Gold, the fine Colombian, make tonight a wonderful thing." Going to Steely Dan live in August! Oh yea!

- George Grand - 1999(ish)

Truer words may never have been spoken.

You know, it just occured to me that (and I think perusing the forum and even audio rags etc) that we tend to get so wrapped around the axle about this that and the other thing that we sometimes overlook the pure fun of listening.

I came home this afternoon after a particularly unpleasant day at work..poured myself a nice cold beer, put on my SDA glasses and rocked the f%#k out. AWESOME stuff. Joe Bonamassa, SRV and a few others...just cranked it up and rolled like a fatty.

I encourage you, just for a day, quit dicking with cables and worrying about toe in or tube rolling....just put in some music and let 'er roll. THAT is what this hobby is about.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

BDT[/QUOTE]
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Great CD. "Sister Mary" is quite a trip. Gonna have to find that one again to hear the difference on the current setup.:cool:

That and Breaking The Silence are prolly my two favorites songs of all on the album.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Rock on guys! Music is in the soul, equipment is on the shelf. With the right music I can immerse myself no matter what the equipment.
    Carl