Which game format (sega etc) is best?

trubluluc
trubluluc Posts: 2,067
edited October 2002 in Electronics
Just wondering, as the lady and I are still in negotiations about whether we want to add games to the equation,
what's the best game format out there?

-Luc
Post edited by trubluluc on

Comments

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2002
    My kids probably have all the major system, PS2, Xbox, Sega, Cube box, but most of the times, I've seen them play the P/S2 system even though, so far, only the Xbox that you can play it with the dolby digital sound...
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited October 2002
    Well, it really depends on what kind of games you want to play. The PS2 is best for RPGs, and the GameCube is best for "arcade" games like Mario, Super Monkey Ball (BADASS, no joke), and XBox has a little of all the types, but only a couple "signature" really good games.

I like the XBox overall though, presonally. Sound is awesome as well! And it is able to do HDTV resolutions! (Yep, 1080i is possible)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2002
    Good thread Christmas is coming, my 8 year old is wanting a new game console. It looks like Game cube would be best for him? (and me)

I still keep shoot and kill games out of the house, so I am looking for Arcade type games. Thanks for any help.

Can you burn copies of these games? Not that I would, just asking.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    Lots of good points made.

Another thing to consider is size. The Gamecube is tiny, you can put it just about anywhere.

The PS2 is a little bigger, but still not big. It can stand verticaly or horozontaly. Lots of placement options.

The X-Box is about the size of a VCR, and it just sits.

The PS2 is ready to go out of the box. X-Box you have to buy lots of extras to play DVD's, or anything else special. Not too many extras for the Gamecube.

Gamecube is better if you have kids around. Great games for kids. The PS2 is more for adults, and the X-box has a variety of games that everyone will enjoy.

Modchips are available for "backing up" games, but they are becoming very rare. Microsoft just shut down one MFG of X-Box mod chips. The PS2 seems to be the easiest to find mods, and apply them. Not sure about the Gamecube, but it uses the smaller 3" CD's which are now available for burners, so I'm sure you could burn games if need be.

Whatever you get, get it as cheap as possible. The next generation of consoles should be hitting stores this time next year. (I can't wait for the PS3)

If I had to get one right now, I'd get the Gamecube.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited October 2002
    My son (15) is still into games.
    I like driving games, and Asteroids, which was my favorite way back.
    My girlfriend, although she hates to admit it, is a Tetris freak.

I haven't kept up with the technology,
    will do a little more research.

-Luc
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2002
    Gamecube is 150 bucks. Looks really good. Not too great on titles but it is improving.

Xbox looks incredible, has great sound but also not the greatest on titles. It is improving as well.

PS2 is the overall best choice I think. It looks great, has an abundance of titles, plays dvd's out of the box and the titles just keep coming. When a new game comes out at blockbuster PS2 games are the ONLY ones that are completely out of stock. *free game vouchers on guaranteed games..hehe*

BUT!!
    The PS2 requires a little responsibility. When you turn that bad boy off..you've gotta flip the switch in the back AND unplug it. If you leave it on standby "leaving the switch on in the back I heard is the same as being on standby" it'll burn up in about half a year.

I saw something on tv that said the PS3 won't be called as such. It'll be waaaaaaay beyond the processing level that the 2 is now. I may be wrong but like a thousand times more. Anyway, it's some ungodly number like that. I can't wait.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited October 2002
    Hey LiquidSound,
    I don't know what's in the rumor mill but I have had my PS2 since they came out, I just flip the switch in the back and I have not had a problem since I got it....That is comming from a Nintendo guy. I never bought PS.
    I was one of those guys that had to have all the boxes worth having...and I do have all of them all the way back to the Atari 2600. In the latest competition I only have PS2 though....The amount of games out there, the software support is incredible, there are games for me and my whole family...Problem with The cube and X I see so far is lack of support and software. And the X box controller...yuck, Nintendo not much better.Most of the games you see for the other boxes are also available for PS2.
    I want to know when the public is going to get smart though and demand one format...so we only need one box to control them all.............Maybe never I guess.
    Peace StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2002
    IMO PS2 is the way to go.
    The PS2 requires a little responsibility. When you turn that bad boy off..you've gotta flip the switch in the back AND unplug it. If you leave it on standby "leaving the switch on in the back I heard is the same as being on standby" it'll burn up in about half a year.
    Bought my PS2 and PS1 the day they hit the market. Seems many people had problems with the PS2 at first but I keep mine on stand by for the last two years and have never had a single problem with it. You also get the benifit of cd music and dvd movies with it. PS2 units sells are at 32 million and the is over double what Xbox and game cube are at. That tells ya something. Wish I had bought stock. :)
    May buy the game cube because they stole the Resident Evil series and that is one of my favortate gernies.
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2002
    my buddy's ps2 died when left on standby. and two other people in here said the same thing. I won't chance it.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2002
    x box is the best but it has the least games ps2 is ok but it has alot of games when i get my gameing system i will get a x box
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited October 2002
    the nntendo gamecube and playstation two are awesome machines, but if your looking for graphics go for xbox...games go wit ps2 and gamecube..microsoft is going to screw all their customers just like nintendo does...playstation is keeping all their games compatible!!! so id go wit ps2...nintendo and mic. are coming out wit systems that i think will not be compatible with older games, mic. i know of will! sony is keeping all games compatible....its all in opinion!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited October 2002
    I prefer XBOX but that is my opinion. I have had a lot of fun with it and I am extremely happy because I just got picked for the second round of XBOX LIVE Beta Testing.

For Game selection I will have to give it to the PS2.

For Sheer performance it is XBOX all the way and we are actually going to see the first HI-DEF game when Dragon's Lair comes out soon. Dolby Digital is awesome on XBOX as well.

Try Max Payne in DD the nightmare level with the Baby Crying is totally creepy I couldn't even play it night as it freaked me out.
  • PETERNG
    edited October 2002
    you just can't beat the soundtrack of the Xbox's Halo game, remember, if you buy the optional remote control with the Xbox, then it becomes a progressive scan DVD player...
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2002
    I own a Dreamcast, PS2 and Xboox. If you want a better selection of games, go with the PS2. But if you're serious about Dolby Digital gaming, go with the Xbox.

Are you planning on using the system for DVD playback? The picture of the XBox is superior to the PS2 on DVD's. Even with proper calibration, the PS2 showed some nasty artificial outline sharpening. Even with the outline sharpening turned to -2, it was still pretty bad. I used the S-Video with my PS2. Last week I got the remote for my Xbox and couldn't believe how good the picture is compared to PS2. No crappy outline sharpening yet still sharper, better contrast/brightness balance, colours look more natural, etc.

PETERNG, the xbox can't do Progressve scan on DVD movies. The progressive scan will only activate when playing games. This was written on the official Xbox site.

About the PS2 complaints...I got mine on the first day it came out and haven't had a problem for the past 2 years by leaving it on standby when not in use. I couldn't believe I was one of the 500 000 in North America to own a PS2 from Oct26 to around Feb-March. I lined up for 4 hours in front of Future Shop and made a few friends for the day.

Maurice
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited October 2002
    I have the ps2 and the gamecube. I love them both. My kids actually like the gamecube better. I prefer the ps2 but mainly for the games like grand theft auto. But lately I have been addicted to Super Monkey Ball 2. That game just plain kicks ****. One of the better kids games I have played in a long time. We also have Picman and Mario Sunshine. Both are very solid games that anyone can pick up and play.

One other thing....the ps2 is coming out with more and more games in Dolby Digital. So saying that x-box is the only one with DD is wrong. Just try SSX Tricky in dts....best sounding game out there. SSX really can give your sub one hell of a workout.

I have also had mine in standby mode for more than 18 months...no problems at all.

MxStYlEpOlKmAn- I would not by a system for graphics, I here that debate all the time about how well the x-box looks, but if the game play sucks, well then you wasted a few bucks for some pretty looking games. Not trashing xbox btw, because more than likely I will be owning all three.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • PETERNG
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by organ

PETERNG, the xbox can't do Progressve scan on DVD movies. The progressive scan will only activate when playing games. This was written on the official Xbox site.

Maurice

Maurice,

Have you play DVD movie on the Xbox yet? I read an article that mention this feature and the guy actually reported the progessive scan feature work on regular DVD. I owned one of this box, played games and love the DD sound, but dit not get the remote and have never play movie on this one before...